xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Four Port Usb Hub Internal?  (Read 183 times)

greenmodder

• Archived User
Four Port Usb Hub Internal?
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »

Im pulling out the 2 standard USB ports on the front of the 360 and rewiring in a 4 port hub. Its originally an external 4 port hub that I stripped down to the board. The USB connection to the motherboard shouldnt be a problem (using the spots from the 2 port) but I dont know where to solder the power to. The outlet adapter reads:

INPUT: 100-240V~0.5A 50-60Hz
OUTPUT: 5V===2.6A Max. 13W
5V===2.6A

Can I just solder the power leads to any 5V source on the motherboard? Or can I run wiring for it directly to the PSU solder points? Do I have to worry about the Amp levels? Wire gauge?

Also, I ran into a wiring problem, at a point I initially thought would be no problem at all.

The hub uses a B series plug and jack. To make the setup as small as possible (to make it internal) I removed the jack from the hub board, and used a wiring diagram to solder the USB cable directly to the board. I went to test it with a wired controller to see if it would work, it didnt. (then i plugged the controller directly into the 360 and it didnt work then either but it was fine before the test. I thought i fried it but it works fine now, which i dont understand but i am not complaining)

I searched around a bit online and found another site with a wiring diagram, I think I am reading it right and I think they are different.

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/usb.htm
I wired it up according to this site, using the diagram and wiring table for series B.

The other site I found:
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/BelkinM...e_assembly.htm

From what I can tell, usbman.com has a diagram of the CABLE layout, which I would think means the male end (which I see more frequently than the female end, on USB cables, but I could be wrong).

Compare that to the diagram of the end of the plug on the other website. 1-4 wiring around the plug counterclockwise at usbman.com and clockwise for the other site. (of course the wiring for the jack would be the opposite the plug)

I dont know for sure if they are different and I dont know which is right if they are different.

How do i wire this?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question but I have never done this before, does anyone have any experience here that can help me out, I posted at [H]ard|Forum also but have not gotten any further help.

Thanks in advance

KahaliTao

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(greenmodder @ Mar 2 2009, 03:32 PM) View Post

Im pulling out the 2 standard USB ports on the front of the 360 and rewiring in a 4 port hub. Its originally an external 4 port hub that I stripped down to the board. The USB connection to the motherboard shouldnt be a problem (using the spots from the 2 port) but I dont know where to solder the power to. The outlet adapter reads:

INPUT: 100-240V~0.5A 50-60Hz
OUTPUT: 5V===2.6A Max. 13W
5V===2.6A

Can I just solder the power leads to any 5V source on the motherboard? Or can I run wiring for it directly to the PSU solder points? Do I have to worry about the Amp levels? Wire gauge?

...cut...

How do i wire this?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question but I have never done this before, does anyone have any experience here that can help me out, I posted at [H]ard|Forum also but have not gotten any further help.

Thanks in advance

Be cautious on your board. That is a lot of current potentially.

Each USB Port is capable of 500mA or .5A
I Don't know how much current the Xbox controller takes.
http://pinouts.ru/Sl...SB_pinout.shtml
^^^USB pinout

If you think that at anytime you may need to draw more than an amp from your USB ports then you need to find a robust source for your 5V source. Solid core 22AWG or over will work for you.
If you think you wont need that much power I would use a passive USB hub instead.

Make sure You have the Wire correctly soldered to your USB hub if you removed the B socket.
USB B pinout
Test the hub again after you double check your soldering.

Pay attention to what pins go where for the 2 USB ports that are in the xbox now.
If you are removing the USB ports in there now be extremely cautious.
Solder the other end of your USB cable from the USB hub to the board in the Xbox where you removed the 2 ports.
There will be 8 holes for the 2 ports you removed. It is not safe to connect the 2 power pins together on the xbox board. It is not safe to connect the date pins together either.

1-4
:::: (top row for one port. bottom row for another.)
Do not connect the pins from the different rows together. Solder your new hub with a USB wire to ONE of the rows.

If done correctly you have essentially connected a USB hub to one of the USB ports.
You just need to find a 5V line to power your hub. I suggest using the power supply from the DVD drive  or harddrive, as SATA has a 12V and 5V supply. (I do not know the current supply of these though so be cautious and ask around a bit more)

greenmodder

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

Thank you for the help, i will give it a try this weekend and post back with results and pics. Thanks again, i was starting to think i wouldnt be able to do this part of the project any more.  smile.gif

pnyce777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:33:00 AM »

post sum pics if it works i was thinking of doing this

Nan On Fire

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(pnyce777 @ Apr 3 2009, 07:49 AM) View Post

post sum pics if it works i was thinking of doing this

yh man wat he said