xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Simpletech 465 Gb Ntfs External Hd - How Can I Use It On My Xbox360 El  (Read 118 times)

Takashi

• Archived User

I tried a 2.5" ide 4GB and a 12GB in a usb shell, worked fine, FAT32 of course.

double b26

• Archived User
Simpletech 465 Gb Ntfs External Hd - How Can I Use It On My Xbox360 El
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ripper80 @ Jan 18 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post

hey all,

i am a noob to this topic so i am asking for help. I have Simpletech 465 GB NTFS External Hard Drive. I know it is supposed to be in FAT32 to run on xbox 360. but i have heard that you need the hard drive to be 32 GB at most for it to work.  is that true? I hope not. i have a 1.5 TB hard drive on my computer so i can transder the files onto that if i have to backup the files on the external hard drive if i'm gonna format it into FAT32. my question is what do i have to do to get this to run in XBOX 360 this model i have of my external hard drive? a step by step would be great. again sorry for the noob questions i am new to this kind of thing. If there is a thread that discusses this particular issue in detail please post a link.

thanks.

biggrin.gif

i know its an old thread, but let me answer these questions for future readers...

the size of the hard drive does NOT matter, but how it's formatted does.  as the OP mentioned, fat32 is read natively by the 360, as is Apple's HFS+.  however, microsoft's NTFS format (used in windows since xp, if not longer) is NOT supported by the 360 console.  

so your choices are either fat32, with its 4gb file size limit, or HFS+, which has no size limit, but a pc will not read.  therefore, most of us go with fat32 because we own a pc, and need it to be readable on the console and the pc.  

until recently, the size limit hasnt been much of a problem, but with the growing popularity of high-def movie rips, the 4gb limit has become a hassle.  

now enter a nifty little program called "macdrive".  once installed on a PC, macdrive allows that PC to read and write from an HFS+ formatted disk as if it were a mac!

i use macdrive personally.  i dont deal much with xtra large files, but i do occasionally.  its a pain to have to split a file just to archive it.  plus i figured that i might as well format it in a way that can readily handle large files to avoid headaches in the future.  i'm also using a 500gb (465 after formatting) in an esata/usb enclosure.  works great!