xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router  (Read 345 times)

hasons80

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

Salutations,

So, here is my situation.  I have 2 360's in different rooms, hardwired to one Lyncsis wrt169Nv2 router.  I had a wrt54g, but I began having issues with it, the same issues I am now having with the new one.  In short, which ever xbox is turned on first gets an open NAT, the latter gets a moderate.  I have downloaded new firmware, set the MTU to auto, enabled UpnP, opened up ports (off the top of my head, 88, 3074, 80, and one other xbox told me to open).  But I still have this problem.   Both 360's have independent live accounts.  My ISP is charter communications and the modem is a motorola.  I called xbox live tech support last night, and they told me that the WRT160Nv2 was not compatible with live, but that cant be true, considering that we can both get on live, both play with others, both be in party chats....the only thing is, the moderate Nat is Killing me.  I am new here, and I have totally given up on tech support.   Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

drunkenmonk

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

Return the router and get a D-link. Never had problems with them and the Gamer-Lounge is quite awesome for all your internet/gaming needs.

DGL-4300 > Wireless 108G Gaming Router
This is the one I use and love.

The updated one for the N wireless is here.

DGL-4500 > Xtreme N Gaming Router

Linksys has kind of fallen on bad times with there engineering and firmware fixing. But thats just my opinion.  cool.gif

40_ounce

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »

Try entering  both 360's mac address in the router. I forgot the tech term for that. Also make sure that the i p address for both 360 are accepted with the router. Or maybe they need to be different. You can look at
DD-WRT firmware. Im using that on my linksys wrt54gs wireless router,
 Or enter your 360's ip in your dmz on your router.

This post has been edited by 40_ounce: Dec 27 2008, 07:40 AM

poonation

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

I am also looking for a solution to this.  The problem (I think) is that the first xbox logs in and the router is then sending the appropriate ports needed for live to that IP on the network.  When the second box logs in, the needed ports are already taken up by the first box leaving it with a restricted NAT.  I may be way off but to my understanding a restricted nat happens when the ports cant be reached.  I'm not home at the moment but try and port forward the required ports to the one xbox and the other xbox make your DMZ host.  See if that does anything and please post back.

dervari

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(poonation @ Jan 10 2009, 06:32 PM) View Post

I'm not home at the moment but try and port forward the required ports to the one xbox and the other xbox make your DMZ host.  See if that does anything and please post back.

That won't work.  The port forward will take precedence over the "DMZ" (even though that's technically the wrong term for it).

MS should redesign the system so that you can select from a list of ports and when that Xbox logs in the Live server knows what ports to use for each Xbox.

poonation

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

thanks for the reply.  Are you then implying that having 2 xboxs connected will always leave you with at least 1 with a restricted NAT?

The iNSOMNIAc

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(poonation @ Jan 11 2009, 10:44 AM) View Post

thanks for the reply.  Are you then implying that having 2 xboxs connected will always leave you with at least 1 with a restricted NAT?

Yea. the problem will always happen unless as dervari says the only way would be for M$ add the option of using a different set of ports on a second or third box.

lcbassist

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

It is quite simple to get both 360s on live with open nat... Enable UPNP on the router. (the 2nd xbox will open up a completely different port than the normal xbox live one), I was trying to figure out how to do this before, as would always get moderate/strict nat, but with UpNp enabled on the router, this problem does not occur, as the xbox's can open ports as needed.

diab0lik

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(lcbassist @ Jan 18 2009, 08:34 AM) View Post

It is quite simple to get both 360s on live with open nat... Enable UPNP on the router. (the 2nd xbox will open up a completely different port than the normal xbox live one), I was trying to figure out how to do this before, as would always get moderate/strict nat, but with UpNp enabled on the router, this problem does not occur, as the xbox's can open ports as needed.

basically.

Also you could just DMZ one of them

KahaliTao

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(diab0lik @ Feb 26 2009, 01:19 AM) View Post

basically.

You can't use DMZ and Port forwarding.

Xbox Live sees the IP address of your router.

(Public IP) <==> [ROUTER] <==> (Private IPs) Xbox360[1] + Xbox360[2] ...
75.158.3.47 <==> Router <==> 192.168.0.200 + 192.168.0.201

When you get sent a packet from Live for an Xbox360 it gets sent to your "Public IP".
Your router will decide what "Private IP" to send it to based on your Port forwarding.
You can't tell your router to forward ports 88, and 3074 to each respective Xbox360 because your router does not know what Xbox it is for.
How can I send something to the 192.168.0.201 address behind the router? I can only see the 75.158.3.47 address. If I send something on ports 88 and 3074 to 75.158.3.47 the first Xbox will reply, not both.

(This only applies to connections made from the Internet side of your Router. Once a connection is made the router will know what Xbox the connection came from for a response)

A solution I used is this.
Modem <==> Switch <==> Router1 <==> Xbox1 (setup with router1) + Xbox2 (setup with Router2)
...............................\==> Router2 <==/

Connect the WAN on each router to the switch.
Connect the LAN of the Routers together (Disable DHCP on router2)
(You will have to manually assign an IP address to the LAN on Router 2, This address will be used on Xbox2 for the default gateway and DNS)
It does NOT matter what router you plug the xboxs in to. (or wirelessly connect to)
Just make sure that the routers have 2 different IP addresses.
eg. Router1 192.168.0.1 and Router2 192.168.0.2.

This way there are 2 public IPs. and each Public IP can be setup for the 2 Xboxs.
Both routers are connected so anything sent within the home will still connect between xboxs or computers.

KahaliTao

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »

Sorry. I could no longer edit my last post
Please disregard last solution.

QUOTE(diab0lik @ Feb 26 2009, 01:19 AM) View Post

basically.

Modem <==> Switch <==> Router1 <==>: (My devices)
.................................\==> Router2 <==/ : (My devices)

Plug your computer into Router1.
Write down the LAN IP address. (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
+I will use 192.168.0.1 as an example
Plug your computer into Router2.
Change your LAN IP address to match the first 3 sections from router1. (eg 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X,  The last number MUST be different from Router1 1-254)
+I will use 192.168.0.2 as an example (Notice the change between routers.)
Disable the DHCP service on Router2.
Plug the LAN ports on the routers together.

There should be 3 free LAN ports on each router that you can use.
It does NOT matter what ones you use.
Plug your computer(s) and Xbox(s) back into the routers. (It dosnt matter what LAN ports you use)

Anything plugged in will automatically connect with Router1.
eg.
It will pick up an IP address according to Router1 like 192.168.0.100.
The Default Gateway and DNS will be Router1's LAN IP: 192.168.0.1

You need to manually change the Default Gateway and DNS of the second Xbox360 to Router2's LAN IP: 192.168.0.2, if you want a separate Public IP address.

You can enable UPnP on both routers or setup Port Forwarding on each router.

How this works:
Each Router will pick up its own Public IP address from the Modem through the switch.
When Xbox Live sends something to your Xbox it uses the Public IP address and the Ports.
Now that you have 2(or More) Public IP addresses you can open the ports and your Routers will no longer have to guess what Xbox it is for, as each Xbox has its own Public IP address through each of the routers.

Millerboy3

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(The iNSOMNIAc @ Jan 13 2009, 06:49 PM) View Post

Yea. the problem will always happen unless as dervari says the only way would be for M$ add the option of using a different set of ports on a second or third box.

being a network major i can tell you this is FAR from correct. you simply should be able to turn on uPnP and it work.  if not then that means its on the router side of things (or the firmware on the router).  so really i would actually try another router first. and when someone said linksys is slipping? not a chance. they are just trying to move to N a little too fast imho. currently i am running a WRT650N as my gateway *controls my WAN*  which is then split off into 2 subsets *using 2 WRT600N's*.  this allows both me and my brother (on the other side of the house* to be on live and both have open nats. BUT thats not the point the point is that yes i CAN go and just simply plug in mine and my brothers xboxs at the same time to the same router and both have open nats because i have uPnP enabled.  try another router the WRT160N isnt one of the better routers.....

xbox360sexual

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(KahaliTao @ Mar 6 2009, 10:00 AM) View Post

How this works:
Each Router will pick up its own Public IP address from the Modem through the switch.

lolwut?

chimeraxp

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »

I'm no network or computer major , I just know what works for me .
I used to use linksys back in the day 10 years or so ago. but I started having problems .I switched to dlink and never looked back you get more for your buck I think .

but needless to say I have two 360's , both can function just fine on live , I did have to enable uPnP for both to connect at the same time
I went for the gamerlounge DGL-4500 Xtreme N LINKY

I for one would take that linksys back and swap it out for the a dlink

QUOTE(KahaliTao @ Mar 6 2009, 09:28 AM) *

You can't use DMZ and Port forwarding.

Xbox Live sees the IP address of your router.

(Public IP) <==> [ROUTER] <==> (Private IPs) Xbox360[1] + Xbox360[2] ...
75.158.3.47 <==> Router <==> 192.168.0.200 + 192.168.0.201

When you get sent a packet from Live for an Xbox360 it gets sent to your "Public IP".
Your router will decide what "Private IP" to send it to based on your Port forwarding.
You can't tell your router to forward ports 88, and 3074 to each respective Xbox360 because your router does not know what Xbox it is for.
How can I send something to the 192.168.0.201 address behind the router? I can only see the 75.158.3.47 address. If I send something on ports 88 and 3074 to 75.158.3.47 the first Xbox will reply, not both.

(This only applies to connections made from the Internet side of your Router. Once a connection is made the router will know what Xbox the connection came from for a response)
Modem <==> Switch <==> Router1 <==> Xbox1 (setup with router1) + Xbox2 (setup with Router2)
...............................\==> Router2 <==/

Connect the LAN of the Routers together (Disable DHCP on router2)
(You will have to manually assign an IP address to the LAN on Router 2, This address will be used on Xbox2 for the default gateway and DNS)
It does NOT matter what router you plug the xboxs in to. (or wirelessly connect to)
Just make sure that the routers have 2 different IP addresses.
eg. Router1 192.168.0.1 and Router2 192.168.0.2.

This way there are 2 public IPs. and each Public IP can be setup for the 2 Xboxs.
Both routers are connected so anything sent within the home will still connect between xboxs or computers.

if you going this route , would it be easier to go

Modem to Switch(or HUB) to Xbox360(1)
Modem to Switch to Router to Xbox360(2)

This way you only mess with one router setup files.Both will get IP's for the ISP ? if you choose to set it up like that , but boy thats way tooo much work , rather then enabling uPnP.LOL

This post has been edited by chimeraxp: Aug 3 2009, 07:36 AM

Millerboy3

• Archived User
2 Xbox 360s And 1 Router
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(chimeraxp @ Aug 3 2009, 02:35 AM) View Post

I'm no network or computer major , I just know what works for me .
I used to use linksys back in the day 10 years or so ago. but I started having problems .I switched to dlink and never looked back you get more for your buck I think .

but needless to say I have two 360's , both can function just fine on live , I did have to enable uPnP for both to connect at the same time
I went for the gamerlounge DGL-4500 Xtreme N LINKY

I for one would take that linksys back and swap it out for the a dlink
if you going this route , would it be easier to go

Modem to Switch(or HUB) to Xbox360(1)
Modem to Switch to Router to Xbox360(2)

This way you only mess with one router setup files.Both will get IP's for the ISP ? if you choose to set it up like that , but boy thats way tooo much work , rather then enabling uPnP.LOL

tell me about it....
Pages: [1] 2