xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Laptop + Netgear Dg834g + External Hd + Divx Stream  (Read 65 times)

jameskungfu

• Archived User
Laptop + Netgear Dg834g + External Hd + Divx Stream
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »

Equipment List

1 Laptop computer
1 dg834g v3 wireless router
1 xbox 360 with ixtreme 1.4
Optional 1x external usb2 harddrive seagate 500gb fat32

I have my laptop wirelessly connected to my netgear router

I have my xbox 360 connected via ethernet cable to my netgear router

Just like my setup with the original xbox using xmbc

The only difference is I have let the xbox 360 auto assign dhcp and not used static ip

To stream movies im using wmp 11

Shareing local harddrives on my pc via wmp11 sharing monitor was np and worked without hitch.

Plugging in my external usb harddrive to my pc and sharing the external drive in wmp11 monitor sharing didnt work first time around as the xbox 360 didnt detect it.

I found lots of people having the same problem as me on many forums.

and I did manage to find a very easy solution

I downloaded and reinstalled wmp 11 then reenabled the sharing in wmp 11 of my external usb 2 drive.

and then my xbox 360 detected it and all the movies/music on my drive ( 400gigs +)

Also I would like to add some information about the wireless router settings

I did not have to make any changes to my settings for e.g. I did not add any ports to my firewall rules etc.

My router is setup with wpa 2 security with disabled broadcast of ssid firewall enabled blocking all incoming ports except 1 port i use for utorrent.

I also run the live update on my xbox and downloaded the optional media component so i could play almost all divx.

Out of approx 600 movies roughly 550 are supported the ones what are not are highlighted in red

I hope this info helps someone

from
james

jameskungfu

• Archived User
Laptop + Netgear Dg834g + External Hd + Divx Stream
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:43:00 AM »

I downloaded and reinstalled wmp 11 then reenabled the sharing in wmp 11 of my external usb 2 drive.

and then my xbox 360 detected it and all the movies/music on my drive ( 400gigs +)

Please note I found reinstalling wmp 11 is not the permanant solution as when you unplug then plug in your usb drive in the future you will get the same problem.

***REINSTALLING WMP 11 Will Not Work Permanantly***

The Permanant solution I have found is very simple you must plug in your external usb drive before switching your pc on.  This way will work guareneteed I have tryed several times turning both xbox 360 and pc off and my videos always get detected now just make sure you plug that usb harddrive into your pc before turning pc on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by jameskungfu: Dec 26 2007, 12:51 PM