xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb External Drive + File Size  (Read 76 times)

proph3t

• Archived User
Usb External Drive + File Size
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »

I have a brand new Seagate 500 gig HD...I have formatted it into FAT32, 3 partitions since FAT32 doesn't allow anything over 137 gigs.

I was copying over to one of these partitions a 8 gig HD WMV file but winrar returned an error telling me only NTFS supports file size's over 4 gigs...so my question is...is this true? I presume it is I just need confirmation from someone else...

Anyways, if the answer is indeed "yes" then I presume the only way around it is to split the file into multiple parts.

This post has been edited by proph3t: Aug 12 2007, 09:05 AM

MarcoGenovese

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

You are a hundred percent correct. I have as well a 8gb HD WMV and there is no way without splitting to add to a Fat 32 formated drive. However I shared the video using media sharing with Media Player 11 and bingo! Works like a charm, fast forward, pause, rewind and skip. biggrin.gif

HughHef1986

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

you are correct, but there is a work around, format the hard drive using HFS+ (mac format) then you can have 1 partition with all your hd wmvs on there.... 360 should handle it no problem.  use MacDrive if you have a windows based operating system. macdrive will not work on a 64 bit operating system btw.... so xp 32 or vista 32 will work fine, or even better yet a mac so you dont need macdrive.  i did it from xp 32 tho... there is a link to a work around but i dont know if ill get in trouble for linking in the forum, so i guess i wont, pm me if you want it

LIVE Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »

Just wondering, is there a limit to the amount of space the Xbox 360 will recognize on a USB hard drive? (remember, you can also easily use any IDE hard drive with an IDE to USB cable)  I was wondering how a Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 Terabyte Hard Drive might work (or not work) in a 360.

And I know, that is a ridiculous amount of space and I doubt I would ever need it but I am just wondering lol.