xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Booting Help!  (Read 108 times)

cardyology

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone has experiened this.

Last night I tried to flash my 360 with 5.3 xtreme firmware. I have a Pal-uk 360 with Samsung drive & MS25 f/w on it from the first batch released to the UK back in Dec 2005 & i've never had any problems with it.

My problem lies in booting my comp into DOS from USB flash drive.

Im using a USB DISK PRO 128mb flash drive. I ran xtreme bootmaker, did everything mentioned in "hacking the 360 for noobs" by textbook, and bootmaker said "all done, happy flashing"

So i powered off the PC, unplugged all IDE cables, plugged in the USB flash drive & booted. It wont boot. Instead it takes ages detecting IDE devices, only to report there are none, then says "veryfying DMI pool data" and then gives me this :- DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I set my PC to boot from USB in BIOS but it still gives me the error. I tired making the primary boot device USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, etc, etc. I've made sure that BIOS is set correctly but it still wont boot. i tried making the USB stick bootable again, still didnt work. I've tried very obvious answer, to no avail.

My Mobo is a VIA based ECS km800v2 with Pheonix AwardBIOS v6.00.

Does anyone know the answer?

If i plug the USB stick into my PC and right click it and try to format it, I gt the menu but the "make MS-DOS bootable" checkbox cannot be checked. Maybe this means the USB stick dosnt support booting>? Or do they all support booting if set up correctly?

Im gonna try again tonight but on my parents computer which is a shuttle SK43g. It is also based on the VIA VT8237 SATA chipset so it should be ok for flashing.

If i can boot into DOS from USB on my parents PC, flash the drive etc, can I then use my other ECS pc to dump backups? Im only gonna be able to use parents PC for an hour while I flash the drive. IS it ok to flash with one, then

Any helop at all would eb appreciated.

Cheers
Joey.

cardyology

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »

I just thought, does my 200gig HDD need to be plugged in to boot into DOS? I unplugged my HDD & DVD-RW drive to prevent them being flashed by accident, but I realised that I only need to plug my SATA cable into my xbox after booting from USB, once in DOS. Does that also mean that I only unplug my HDD and DVD-RW drive once in DOS?

Will a PC boot into DOS without a HDD/Windows installed?? HELP!!!

This post has been edited by cardyology: May 18 2007, 12:57 PM

djmart6914

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »

Make sure you have ALL the files from "Resources" copied into the root of your USB flash drive.... this happened to me.

Also, yes DOS will boot without any hard drives connected, being as its being booted from the USB flash drive as its "hard drive"

Give that a try, let me know.

StUnT66

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »

im having his problem as well. I also have a ECS motherboard and i get a DISK BOOT ERROR every time i try and boot from my usb. i have tried it on both of my computers.

you mentioned putting all the files in your root directory of the usb drive. heres what i have in there:

idump
iflash
intro
ixtreme
MTKflash
MTKflash
samtool
Backups (folder)

does the filesystem matter at all? NTFS, Fat, Fat32

Shadyguy

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »

I had the same problem.. I used the HP USB Format tool. IT has a nice gui and is easy to use. I formatted and turned into a bootable drive, put the windows 98 dos files on it an the copied the files needed to flash. Hope this helps...

Freezn

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

I am having trouble booting into DOS as well.. I went to this site:

http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197

downloaded the HP tool as well as the Windows 98 files

At this point I am not even worried about copying any FW over

I made sure to copy all the Win 98 dos files and set my bios to boot from USB

It looks like it goes to boot fine but then it just show the letter "J" on the screen and it freezes.

I have:
Sandisk Cruzer 1GB USB drive
Windows XP

UnionLevi

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

having same problem

shivadow

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »

the most reliable way to fix this is go and buy a floppy drive for a few pennies and use the good old plastic diskettes prepared with Iprep.exe. never failed me yet.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Usb Booting Help!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

For those with ECS Motherboards:

Press F12 during bootup. Select Hard Drive and your USB device should be under here. I had the same issue - it won't boot from USB Floppy or USB Zip, as the BIOS sees it as a Hard Drive.