xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Weak Signal Strength  (Read 88 times)

Booler

• Archived User
Weak Signal Strength
« on: February 28, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I bought the MS wireless USB adapter, and I'm getting a VERY weak signal from the router.  I only get one out of four bars when connected, and I get booted every 10 minutes or so.  

The router (D-Link, 802.11b) is in the basement.  The 360 is on floor above.  My laptop gets a great signal in the room that the 360 is in, and it even gets a great signal on the second floor.  

Any suggestions?

I have WEP enabled, if that makes a difference.

Booler

Booler

• Archived User
Weak Signal Strength
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

Also, is stuff like this worth a try?

http://www.compusa.c...h_Mounting_Base

cwegga

• Archived User
Weak Signal Strength
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

Try turning the antenna so that they are perpendicular to the direction you want the signal to travel. I think the signal comes out of the antenna in a squashed sphere sorta shape so I think it might travel a little farther the sideways out of the antenna. I could be just blowing smoke though, I am not too knowledgeable about wireless signals and antenna. My solution to weak signals on my own network is to move the devices closer together. : /

ghostmachine418

• Archived User
Weak Signal Strength
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

This may sound stupid but it has worked for most of the people I know who have tried it.  Take a pringles can and clean out all the salt and grease.  Cut a hole  in the bottom and put your adapter inside it with the cord coming out the bottom.  Point the open end of the can in the general direction of your router.  Make sure you leave the lid off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Tried that in a couple different places and saw a 1-2 bar signal increase on average.  This coupled with cwegga's idea should help out a lot.

decided after initial post that I myself wouldn't try this without an explanation so why would anybody else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The pringles can acts in the same way as the dish on a satellite dish and focuses the signal by bouncing it all into a straighter line with the aluminum lining.  dwegga's idea of pointing the antenna towards your xbox is good too.  Most rotuers use omni-directional antennas.  That means that they broadcast in all directions at the same time.  The majority of the signal however (imho) comes out of the end, therefore pointing it in the right direction should help.  If you don't have too many other wifi devices on your network then try putting a pringles can over one antenna as well and point that one. It doesn't have to be a pringles can any other aluminum lined tube will work.  And remember: as dumb as this all sounds, what do you have to lose?

This post has been edited by ghostmachine418: Dec 17 2007, 02:32 AM