xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Internet Connection Sharing And 360 Are Not Friends  (Read 92 times)

ectocooler

• Archived User
Internet Connection Sharing And 360 Are Not Friends
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »

Heres my setup, I'm completely stumped.

university internet*------> imac

imac (using internet connection sharing) ~~~~~> xbox 360 (with a wireless adapter)

On my campus you must login to an HTML page before they will allow your machine access on the net. Its way lame, and prevents any thought of using a 360 on the network. So, to get around this I've always just used my imac to log in, then used internet connection sharing to go out from there to whatever devices I wanted to use the web without that.

For example, internet ----> imac ~~~~~> nintendo ds .....will work if I put in manual settings for the ip, dns, etc. I put in 10.0.2.1 for the gateway and dns, the ip would be anything past 10.0.2.2. That works. Nintendo Wii works the same way. Even my windows mobile phone with wifi can browse the web freely at this point. But my xbox 360 (using microsofts ridiculously expensive wireless adapter) comes up saying "not connected" when trying to connect to the network. I've put in those same settings, without prevail.

I'll totally paypal like $5 to your pocket for a working solution

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

Is 10.0.2.1 your computer's IP? If it is try setting the DNS to 4.2.2.2 if it isn't, then try setting the gateway on the 360 to your computer's IP.

Those are just a couple of ideas to try.

ectocooler

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »

10.0.2.1 is the address the computer uses during internet connection sharing, kind of as the "router" address. everything on the network it creates past that is 10.0.2.x

i'll try those ideas though and post my results.

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »

Have you tried both Ad-Hoc and infrastructure modes in the 360 wireless settings? I haven't messed with wifi ICS so I don't know how exactly the computer wants to set up the network but obviously make sure you have the wireless settings for SSID and channel etc correct.

You could also check to see if your computer allows for different wifi ICS modes such as AP or Ad-Hoc...

I dunno, I haven't messed with Mac Wireless so I can't be much help without poking it myself. sad.gif

jmmitche

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

I am using Internet Sharing with my 360 and a WinXP pc.  All I had to do after plugging everything in was use the "Repair" feature in Windows to get the IP and DNS straight.  I am not sure if an iMac has that feature but if it does, that is all you have to do.

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »

You can go to System Preferences, Click Network, then click Configure in that screen click renew DHCP lease. That is close to what repair does on XP.

Maybe the college specifically blocks the ports or IP addresses used for xbox live? You could try asking an IT person or try to test them. I think you could test the addresses fine with ping if you found what the addresses are. I'm not sure how you'd check if the ports are blocked.

Do you have access to a different brand wireless adapter? You could test to see if it is just a Microsoft/Apple incompatibility. You could use a wireless game adapter that plugs into the 360 with ethernet or there are many access points and routers that can work as a wireless client also.