xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Routers  (Read 82 times)

Snowmoto

• Archived User
Wireless Routers
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

Hello there, I currently using a D-Link Wired Router, I am running at 108Mbps, and it works perfect except I am tired of having all of these wires everywhere running from my 360 and my pc, so I was looking at a D-Link wireless router that runs at 54Mbps, and I was wondering if anyone was using a router that ran at that speed and if so did you have problems on xbox live like do you lag a lot while playing gears of war or anything like that..

Well Thanx for reading hope you can help and here is the link to the router I am looking at buying..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1134699413821

cwegga

• Archived User
Wireless Routers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

54Mbps will be fine for playing online. The place that is the bottleneck for playing games online is your internet connection. I'd bet that you have 6Mbps or 8Mbps if you have cable internet. So it doesn't matter how fast your wireless is as long as it is faster than ~8Mbps.

Here's a long explanaition that you can skip if you need to.
There are some other things that could affect your playing but you shouldn't have to worry about them. Performance will go down if you have many devices connected wirelessly at the same time. This is because most wireless equipement only has one one radio so it can only send or recieve to one machine at any time. This means that if you were downloading a huge file and sending a huge file you would only get 27Mbps upload and 27Mbps download over your wireless (which would still be knocked down to whatever your internet connection speed was in the end anyway). If you had two computers downloading and sending full blast your 54Mbps would be split into fourths... Also if you have a not very strong wireless connection many routers will slow down the speed for better reliability.

In summary wireless should be plenty fast enough for xbox live. Even 802.11b wireless at 11Mbps works fine and is most likely as fast as your internet connection.

Snowmoto

• Archived User
Wireless Routers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Thanx for the help smile.gif..I'll buy that wireless router then smile.gif