xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Internet Connection Sharing... (mine Won't Work)  (Read 103 times)

MarkD91

• Archived User
Internet Connection Sharing... (mine Won't Work)
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

Hello there,

I am new to all this IP thing and all that although I do know how to walk around things. I have been recently trying to connect to my router with my laptop to get Xbox Live. I have been told that ICS will enable me to do this. When I plugged the ethernet into the back of my laptop nothing happened. When I clicked onto all connections and selected my Wireless connection and clicked Enable ICS an error message occured saying that ''the IP you are trying to share is currently being used by another connectio with automatic IP adressing.

Quite franquely I don't what the hell is going on here. I will try and put as much detail down as possible...

My Router IP is:  192.168.0.2

TCP/IP    
IP Address:    192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0
DHCP Server
Start IP Address:    192.168.0.3
Finish IP Address:    192.168.0.254

LAN    
IP Address:    192.168.0.2
Network Mask:    255.255.255.0
DHCP Server:    On
MAC Address    00:c0:02:fe:1c:86

My laptop's IP is currently: 192.168.0.5

Also when I enable the Local Area Connection (Xbox 360) my Internet Gateway disappears and I can no longer access the internet :S.

I think the fact that the Local Area Connection (my xbox) is under LAN or High Speed Internet section on the Network Connections screen seems a bit strange...

I will love it if someone could help me because I have payed £40 for something I can't use.

P>S HARDWIRING MY XBOX CONSOLE IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE MY ROUTER IS AROUND 40 METRES AWAY... (Reason for wireless)

Thanks allot,

Mark

ade_dnb

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

So just to clear things up.....  Your trying to connect your 360 through your Laptop, and then through wireless to your rooter?

All you should need to do is to set the ip of your laptop to 192.168.0.1 and share it.  So in other words you would share your wireless with Local Area Network 1 or whatever there called.  You also have to make sure that your firewall and also winmdows firewall are not blocking the connection.  

Once its shared you have to set the ip on the 360 its self.  Ive found out myself that the 360 tends to use different ip ranges everytime it starts up and so making a connection was impossable.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

Moving to network forum...

Doughboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

The way that I did it was alot easier. Plug your xbox with a crossover cable to your laptop. Go to your network connections and select both your wireless connection and your lan. Right click and select create network bridge. Now it might tell you that the wireless connection isnt connected, so go to View, and select refresh. Enjoy!