xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Connected To Wireless Laptop  (Read 226 times)

docstrange

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Connected To Wireless Laptop
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »

first off, i read a lot of different threads concerning this.  i also encountered many different techniques, none, which worked.  i noticed some people using bridges, i have done this with pc's, and it can be a pain in the arse.  just because it was the easiest solution, i gave it a shot.  not good.  it reconfigured my wan card, and took me from wireless g to wireless (-a)x10000.  lol 1mbps which is slow as hell.  wasnt pleased at all with that setup.  while i could of manually configured it, whats the point when i can just manually configure sharing.  this is what i did, worked a treat.

oh, youll need a lan nic, and a wireless nic(or adapter w/e) and regular old cat5e cable to do this.i dont know why some people say you need a crossover.

first, on ur pc/laptop go to internet connections, right click on your wireless connection.  
click properties.

under the advanced tab on the top enable internet sharing and allow users to change settings.
close that.

connect your 360 to your nic on ur pc/laptop and power up the 360.  it might or might not immediately enable the connection, if not manually do so.

now find your lan connection under internet connections.  double click it.  you should of received 192.168.0.1 for an ip address.  255.255.255.0 for subnet address.  default gateway should be blank.  if the above info isnt the same then manually change it by going to properties>tcp/ip> manually enter ip address. do not input dns. leave it blank.

now on your 360 console dashboard, goto system>network settings>edit settings.

youll see basic settings. underneath that you will see your ip settings.  you might already have an ip, if so press b to go back a page and scroll to test xboxlive connection.  select.  it might hang for a little while on mtu, and icmp, just let it do its thing.  if your connection is good you should be able to successfully connect to xbox live, your ready to go.  if not, you might have firewall/router issues.  if you dont think its the router or firewall follow the next set of instructions.

the first set of instructions worked when i set up my friends 360, but didnt for me.  you can try this.

go back to the dashboards network settings, edit, ip address.  enter a manual ip of 192.168.0.240, a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1.

goto dns servers below, change to manual and enter 192.168.0.1 it should say that anyway but type it in just the same and then in the secondary field type 000.000.000.000.  if it gives you an error, change back to automatic.  this works, even tho it sounds silly.

you should automatically be good to go.  if not disable both wireless and lan on ur pc from network connections and then in this order re-enable; wireless, lan.  

hope this works for everyone else, as it has worked on 4 360's for me.

if you have any troubles with this email me at
[email protected]

This post has been edited by docstrange: Aug 20 2006, 09:27 AM

m0z

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »

Nice one! Just got my 360 working - I was doing it the other way round, enabling ICS on my LAN instead of my wireless.

I didnt bother with manual configuration, just turned the 360 on and it worked, dhcp is enabled on my router

This post has been edited by m0z: Sep 22 2006, 01:36 PM

vybezkartel876

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

wow thanks a lot man, just got my xbox 360 back from repair and finally got it figured out

i think another helpful hint to get ICS working (google is my best friend) is to set your LAN Ip to autoconfigure to 192.168.1.1 instead of it being at 192.168.0.1
this will DEF. help you cause as soon as i changed that, it connected cool.gif

pieman145

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »

I tried this, when i try nd enable internet connection sharing jst gives me an error:

An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address
that is required for automatic IP sharing.

any help guyz? sad.gif

TaKktiX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

^^^^Have you enabled DNS?

darkmike57

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Hey dude thanks for the guide. I had it working before i read this, but when i followed these instructions it made my NAT open.

freethehand

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

All i did and its working great is get a crossover cable from xbox to wireless laptop and go to wireless laptop connection props set it to share connection and presto!  it connects to my wireless router and this works great and fast.  i think that sounds alot simpler no?

thedumbone

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »

dude, i did exactly what the top guy said, the ip address was ok, but the dns server is being a douche, i'm trying to connect with a direct ethernet cable from the 360 to my laptop. but the dns server is just nuts, can anyone help??

socondc22

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

I'm stuck with how to connect from my wireless laptop to my xbox 360, i get the same error when trying to use the internet connection sharing...  Any ideas?

xCAUSALITYx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(socondc22 @ Mar 1 2008, 12:11 AM) View Post

I'm stuck with how to connect from my wireless laptop to my xbox 360, i get the same error when trying to use the internet connection sharing...  Any ideas?

A bit more detail...!

What is your setup?

ie: x360--->wireless router---->laptop

woodymoh

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

hi. having the same problems here.
ive tried bridging the connections aswell but to no avail.

heres my setup

Netgear Wireless ADSL Router/Modem----------Wireless Laptop with 1GBit LAN PORT-----Xbox 360 connected via Ethernet to Laptop LAN port.

ive changed the routers ip address to 192.168.0.100, tried sharing the wireless connection(tickng both boxes) but i get:

An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.

Inspected the router n it hasnt assigned the 192.168.0.1 address to another device. and ive configured the router to give addresses out from 192.168.0.1. or should i change that?

:(any help would be most appreciated people! smile.gif

micheal david

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »

I am very thank full to you because you just got my xbox 360 back from repair and finally got it figured out

Zombiehobo

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

I just got my xbox connected using this and it worked great. I can grab stuff of Live and all that. I also use my 360 for Transcode and streaming video. So far I have not been able to get any streaming video to go from my computer to the Xbox. It acts like they can't see each other, like they are not on the same network? Has anyone else had this problem or know how to possibly fix it?

snmp

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »

have you enabled sharing via wmp 11 on ur pcs?  if not this is why.

PredatoryKey

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »

alrighty....all of this seems like a good idea, but i have another scenario; what if your computer doesnt have an Ethernet port?    yes its really old. i know.

heres my setup;   I have a wireless DSL modem downstairs that broadcasts a wireless signal through the house.  My computer upstairs picks it up via a wireless USB adapter.  My question is this; is there any way to use that same USB adapter and somehow use it on my Xbox 360 so that it can tap into my wireless network?  i probably would need drivers for my 360, and if so, where could i get them?
Pages: [1] 2