xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cheapest Way To Connect?  (Read 171 times)

HIW

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

I am looking to get a 360 in the coming weeks and I'm trying to minimize the amount I spend, I want to keep it under $600. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to get a router and the wireless network adapter or to try another method. Any help would be appreciated.

CattyKid

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »

Wired would be THE cheapest by far.  You can get a wired router for less than 20 bucks... so in my opinion go that route if you can.  Cheapest AND faster than going wireless.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

Yeah the wireless adapter for the 360 is $100, so buying a router and maybe 2 ethernet cables would be much, much cheaper than wireless, and as CattyKid said it will also be faster and more reliable. I've got a 25 foot ethernet cable for $20 that runs to my 360. I could run a 10 foot cable across my room, but I got the 25 because it stays hidden.  wink.gif

HIW

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

I don't know if I could run a wired connection because my computer and my room where the 360 will be are on seperate floors. I might be able if I had a really long wire but it would be hard to hide.

Pikkon

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »

Or you can just use the wireless adapter for the original xbox,it works just fine with the 360 and its alot cheaper.

CattyKid

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(HIW @ Jul 27 2006, 09:51 PM) View Post

I don't know if I could run a wired connection because my computer and my room where the 360 will be are on seperate floors. I might be able if I had a really long wire but it would be hard to hide.

Do you have a furnace that heats your house?  A lot of times there will be holes for pipes in baseboards... you might be able to fit in a wire through one of these.  Or... do you have cable in that room?  Same thing... look for holes in floors... even if they are small they may accomodate a LAN cable wink.gif

ehelvig

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »

Another thing is if you plan to use your 360 as a media center extender, you definetly have to go searching for holes in the floors to put cables through..

I tried every setup i could with wireless, but it was really unstable. You will really tire from the "network congestion" popup and laging movies..  blink.gif

cheers

Harry Paratestes

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »

Search Ebay for 80211 A routers. Using an A router with the MS wireless works perfectly, no network congestion. Also I have found that by puting an extension on your USB connection to the xbox360 wireless will greatly improve your signal.

moparpogue

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

This is my setup.   I bought a $35 WRT54G V6 wireless router at Walmart, it was on special,  but you can find these deals around the net.   I had a Vonage VWR wireless router because I use Vonage,  but that could be replaced by a second $35 wireless router.  

The VWR is the internet gateway and remains the way it came out of the box. (Except for the password and encryption of course.)   The second router, the WRT54G, I reflashed with DD-WRT.  DD-WRT is a freeware firmware that allows you to put the WRT54G (and many other other wireless routers) in client bridge mode.  

I plugged my Xbox and Xbox 360 via ethernet cables into the ports on the WRT54G.  DD-WRT routes all ethernet traffic via the wireless ports to the internet gateway.

This setup eliminates the need for a $100 adapter for the Xbox 360 and a $75 wireless bridge for the Xbox.

If anyone chooses to do this and needs some help, just ask.

Xx The 0ne xX

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »

i'm interested in doing this but with a older brand of linksys router model number is BEFW11s4-VN its 802.11b my main router is WRT54G, but I dont wanna change the fw on it to something else.

qifanxi

• Archived User
Cheapest Way To Connect?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

I use a setup that takes advantage of my laptop's integrated wireless card. I use Windows XP to bridge a connection between my laptop's wireless connection and the ethernet port, and then connect my Xbox 360 to the laptop with a short ethernet cable. The laptop bridges the connection between my Xbox 360 and my wireless router downstairs.

Result: free homemade Xbox 360 wireless adapter. (Laptop with wireless card not included)