xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Usb Security  (Read 96 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Usb Security
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

As you may (or may not) know I recently built an Adapter to connect a Sega Saturn controller to the Xbox 360. To do this I essentially just cannibalized a 360 controller and emulated button presses with an array of analog switches. It works but it's a pretty bulky and obtrusive system.

I'm very interested in interfacing with the Xbox 360 DIRECTLY, that is to say picking up a USB MCU and having it do some task.

Reading the controller protocol on the free60 page there's a good amount of information but it's missing one very important thing... THE SECURITY

The information there is just good enough to write Xbox 360 controller drivers for an alternate OS but it tells me nothing about how the controller actually talks to the console and where this (new for the 360) security fits in the grand scheme of things.

I can locate the security chip in a controller, it's a little 8 pin SMD with an MS number ont it... I've seen it in 1st and 3rd party controllers alike. I doubt I'd be able to crack it but I wouldn't mind working with it to meet my goals. Perhaps interface this little security chip with the MCU...

Does anyone know anything about how this security fit's into the whole USB protocol or is this still a mystery at this point?

Rick360

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Usb Security
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »

Hi,

Have you made any progress on this?

There is a device called XFPS, I'm sure you've heard of it so I won't explain what it does here. Seems to work like a USB hub, the interesting thing is that the controller remains functional along side the keyboard and mouse.  Any theories on how this device might work?