xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using A Pc As A Wireless Bridge To The 360?  (Read 405 times)

Motab

• Archived User
Using A Pc As A Wireless Bridge To The 360?
« on: March 27, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

Hey guys -

Alright, so Costco had a giant pallette of 360s staring at me when I went in the other day, so I got one. It's a heavy bastard! But I guess that's about on par with the original too.

Anyway, so I got my one game (PGR), and I want to set up the Live stuff. The 360 is located in my living room, next to my Home Theater PC (HTPC) hooked up to my TV. I put together the HTPC myself, it's not an Off-the Shelf thing. So I can configure it however. It's currently connected to my home network via wi-fi to the Access Point upstairs. In an effort to not spend $100 on the MS thing, I'd like to just use the HTPC as a wireless bridge, and just plug an ethernet cable from the PC to the 360. Has anyone tried this? Is it even feasible? Might I need a hub or something in between, or could I get away with a crossover cable instead?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Motab

crb0621

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

If I bring my xbox to my friend's house, he has a wireless router but no internet access near his tv. I bring my laptop and connect to Live through that. I have a switch between 2 cables (xbox-switch-laptop) but that's simply because I don't have a crossover cable tongue.gif  but I think that would work. I just enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my wireless adapter in my laptop and then allowed the ethernet port to use it to connect. It works perfectly for me. Good luck with your setup.

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »

Ive done the same thing as CRB. It works fantastical. You might wanna try bridging 2 routers together? good luck man.

Motab

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(jtom617 @ Mar 28 2006, 04:47 AM) *

Ive done the same thing as CRB. It works fantastical. You might wanna try bridging 2 routers together? good luck man.

Yeah, I tried enabling ICS, but it gave me some crap error. I'm gonna have to dick around with the settings a little bit I guess. Stupid computers. Or else I could dig out my old linksys xbox bridge. Hmmm, that might be even easier!!!

Alright, well thanks for letting me know it can be done. Just gotta go play the network settings game some more. I *HATE* that game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks again,
Motab

Jonesy_47

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

Can someone possibly point me in the direction of a tutorial (or make one? <<< wishful thinking...) that outlines exactly how to set up your laptop or desktop to be used as a wireless bridge?

halofun121

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

I've done this before. My Xbox 360 is plugged into my PC, and my PC wirelessly connects to a wireless router.

You need an Ethernet CrossOver cable, not a patch cable. Plug the Xbox 360 into the NIC on your computer, right click My Network Places, click properties. Now right click your wireless NIC, go to properties, then go to Advanced. Click Allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection, and select the NIC the Xbox 360 is using. Click OK. Now right click the NIC your 360 is using. Click properties, then scroll down to Internet Protocol. Click Properties. Click Use The Following IP Address. Make sure it says IP Address: 192.168.0.1. Your Subnet Mask is most likely 255.255.255.0. click OK, and close out of that. Check the IP you are getting from the router. Write that down. Go into your Xbox 360 Network Settings. Change the IP to manual. For the IP, enter something like 192.168.0.x (x can be any number from 1 to 9, make sure your router hasnt assigned this IP to another computer). Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0, DNS1 should be 192.168.0.1, and DNS2 should be 192.168.0.x (x can be any number from 1 to 9). Tell me if it works. There may be other setting you need to enable on your setup.

This post has been edited by halofun121: Apr 18 2006, 02:01 AM

Superj159

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(halofun121 @ Apr 18 2006, 12:30 AM) View Post

I've done this before. My Xbox 360 is plugged into my PC, and my PC wirelessly connects to a wireless router.

You need an Ethernet CrossOver cable, not a patch cable. Plug the Xbox 360 into the NIC on your computer, right click My Network Places, click properties. Now right click your wireless NIC, go to properties, then go to Advanced. Click Allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection, and select the NIC the Xbox 360 is using. Click OK. Now right click the NIC your 360 is using. Click properties, then scroll down to Internet Protocol. Click Properties. Click Use The Following IP Address. Make sure it says IP Address: 192.168.0.1. Your Subnet Mask is most likely 255.255.255.0. click OK, and close out of that. Check the IP you are getting from the router. Write that down. Go into your Xbox 360 Network Settings. Change the IP to manual. For the IP, enter something like 192.168.0.x (x can be any number from 1 to 9, make sure your router hasnt assigned this IP to another computer). Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0, DNS1 should be 192.168.0.1, and DNS2 should be 192.168.0.x (x can be any number from 1 to 9). Tell me if it works. There may be other setting you need to enable on your setup.

if this works for you you have my respect
for those of you who want to spend less time on this and want more time to play call of duty

this is the way i did it with the xbox 1 and the 360
couse i got an error message with the xbox 1 i did a lot of expermating

on windows xp go to the network control and select your (wireless) network adapter while holding the control button click on the NIC that you xb(360) is using and right click on it

you should see something like: ad to network bridge click on it and test the connection on your XB(360)
it always worked for me

pardon the langues (i use a dutch verion of windows xp so i can't directly translate it)

halofun121

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(Superj159 @ Apr 18 2006, 02:26 PM) *

if this works for you you have my respect
for those of you who want to spend less time on this and want more time to play call of duty

this is the way i did it with the xbox 1 and the 360
couse i got an error message with the xbox 1 i did a lot of expermating

on windows xp go to the network control and select your (wireless) network adapter while holding the control button click on the NIC that you xb(360) is using and right click on it

you should see something like: ad to network bridge click on it and test the connection on your XB(360)
it always worked for me

pardon the langues (i use a dutch verion of windows xp so i can't directly translate it)

Yes, thats another way to do it, by creating a network bridge. I like my setup better; network bridges can sometimes get screwy. It all depends on your setup. I've found that with networking, if something works, dont change it unless you are sure of what you are doing. It can be a huge hassle at times.

EDIT: Also, if you are trying the method I suggested, go into properties on your Xbox 360 NIC, go to advanced, click settings, under windows firewall select the 360 NIC, click settings, and mae sure everything that says DHCP, DNS, UPnP, and anything that says Xbox is selected.

This post has been edited by halofun121: Apr 18 2006, 08:22 PM

Superj159

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(halofun121 @ Apr 18 2006, 06:42 PM) View Post

I've found that with networking, if something works, dont change it unless you are sure of what you are doing. It can be a huge hassle at times.

This i agree with when you find what you want and it works stay with it
i ones changed my network i was almost a month busy trying to fine tune everything

tomlang

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

ok guys i have a d link card in my pc and a wireless router down stairs.

i am trying to connect my xbox 360 to the internet through my pc.

i have bridged the connections and it says the ip adress has been confirmed but it now keeps failing on the dns. i was wundering if any one could please help me

thanks for any help i get

tom

Superj159

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 05:59:00 AM »

just try 192.168.0.1 it worked for me

and if you have a router or networkt that has an different ip then 0 use that instead

example you use

192.168.1.x you change the 0 to 1
192.168.2.x you change the 0 to 2
etc.

tomlang

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »

my IP address is 192.168.0.1 . when I bridge my network it wil send but not receive from the xbox , it comferm the IP address but the DNS always fails any ideas thanks

Sdunford

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »

I have been having problems with this i was wondering if someone could help.  I cant seem to the crossover or the share to work properly. Also i cant fully access the shared option. Explained in picture below.

(IMG:http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3415/untitled3mt.jpg) <working on this

The hardware i have is this:

1) xbox 360
2) Crossover cat 5 ethernet cable (not patch)
3) Dell pc
4) usb belkin wireless adaptor
5) belkin wireless router

Whenever i bridge connections my regular internet craps out. Also happens when i share. The lan looks like it connects but never shows the xbox's gateway number and the xbox can never find an ip or subet mask etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by Sdunford: Apr 25 2006, 12:38 AM

pinoy24

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

Change your router ip to 10.0.0.2

Sdunford

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(pinoy24 @ Apr 24 2006, 11:39 PM) View Post

Change your router ip to 10.0.0.2

Where and how please. Will i have to do it on my main pc thats connected to the router. Or can i do it from my pc with the adaptor. Also will it screw with my regular internet?
Pages: [1] 2