xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Know Anything About The Xbox 360 Controller Signals?  (Read 123 times)

purbeast

• Archived User
Anyone Know Anything About The Xbox 360 Controller Signals?
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »

I am not an xbox hacker by any means and don't know much about the guts or anything, but I do know that I would like to use my XBox 1 Joystick on my XBox 360 if at all possible.  I know they have adapters like PSX -> Xbox 1 controller adapters that let you use your psx controllers on your XBox 1.  I also know that inside of the little adapter, there is a PCB that maps the XBox 1 signals with the push of the corresponding PSX controller button.

I was wondering if anyone know anything about the XBox 360 signals.  My goal, if at all possible, is to somehow cut my XBox1 --> USB adapter in half and wire up each side of this to some type of XBox 360 signal PCB (or anything that has these signals on it) and get it working so I can use my XBox 1 joystick on my XBox 360.

If this doesn't make any sense post and I'll try to clarify a little bit.  But if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has any info on it, please let me know!  Thanks.

corpsejockey

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

I won't say impossible, but more trouble than it's worth.  360 controllers use a security chip (probably proprietary) that identifies it as a genuine xbox 360 controller.  I think M$ just did it to stop us from using our old s's and Dukes as well as other third party usb controllers.  $$$
Once the 360 is hacked, I suspect this will no longer be an issue.  

BTW - expect to get flamed.  This has been asked over and over again, and may not even belong in this forum.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

with the security chip the only way you could bypass it is by sacrificing a whole 360 controller to make your converter (adapters simply change the shape of things, converters do actual work).

basically you can run wires from the Xbox 1 directly to the button pads of the 360 controller then the 360 controller does all the conversion and securing for you as if you were pushing it's actual buttons.

If you spent some time with it you could figure out where things connected and widdle the 360 controller down to the necessary chip(s) to keep it small.. good thing there are 3rd party wired controllers out now.

The biggest problem is converting the Xbox 1 controller output into a manageable parallel format that you can wire into the 360 controller. you wont be able to wire the USB directly so you'll need some device that can interpret the Xbox 1 controller's output if you can find something along the lines of an Xbox 1 to PSX converter (meaning being able to use an Xbox 1 controller in a PSX) that would get you to a serial interface which you can easily map out to parallel.

At very least the Xbox 1's controller protocol has been documented much further then that of the 360's

it's an interesting project for sure, not impossible but requires a bit of know how in electronics/usb protocol.