xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Can I Sniff Xbox 360 Network Packets  (Read 241 times)

kcchesnut

• Archived User
How Can I Sniff Xbox 360 Network Packets
« on: December 28, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »

Already used Ethereal to see the packets going between the 360 and a Media Center, but i want to see the communications between the 360 and the Live service.

I've got control of the network, so can configure it however (wired, wireless unsecured). For wireless it looks like i would set the connection up unsecured, then i could read the packets using something like AirSnort and a wireless adapter that supports Raw. Else it looks like i could purchase a linksys wireless router and upload wireless snort on it. Don't know what to do if i just had the 360 wired directly to the router?

Any recommendations (including hardware purchases)? The simpler the better.

Thanks,
casey

Zenofex

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(kcchesnut @ Dec 28 2005, 05:37 PM) View Post

Already used Ethereal to see the packets going between the 360 and a Media Center, but i want to see the communications between the 360 and the Live service.

I've got control of the network, so can configure it however (wired, wireless unsecured). For wireless it looks like i would set the connection up unsecured, then i could read the packets using something like AirSnort and a wireless adapter that supports Raw. Else it looks like i could purchase a linksys wireless router and upload wireless snort on it. Don't know what to do if i just had the 360 wired directly to the router?

Thanks,
casey

if you have a linksys wrt54g you could hack your firmware so that you can ssh into a linux shell, then install ethereal on your router and have it dump the log to a share on the network. just a thought

Monoxboogie

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zenofex @ Dec 28 2005, 07:59 PM) View Post

if you have a linksys wrt54g you could hack your firmware so that you can ssh into a linux shell, then install ethereal on your router and have it dump the log to a share on the network. just a thought

Or, he could do something non-distructive and warranty voiding; such as using the proper tool for the job.

Ettercap works wonders.  It poisons the arp tables so that the devices you use it on think that the PC running it is the switch, and as such, they send their data to that.  Also, the switch is fooled into thinking the PC running ettercap is the other device, so it sends the packets destined for that machine to the ettercap machine.  Ettercap then reads the data, and sends it on its way to the proper device, so it can be dealt with by that device.

TroyMac1ure

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »

Just browsing through the posts and came to a thought. Would it be possible to intercept packets to/from your xbox/360 and have your PC respond as though it were the Xbox Live server? You could then transfer files (linux etc) to your Xbox/360 to soft-mod without using hacked save games.

Just a thought I had and wondered if this would work? I have Programming knowledge, but my networking knowledge is limited.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »

Feigning an XBL server is near impossible.  It's not feasable.

Hyprkookeez

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

If you had a cat5 cable from your 360 going through your computer, could you not sniff the packets?

tokeafatj

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(kcchesnut @ Dec 28 2005, 05:37 PM) View Post

Thanks,
casey

PhunkyGam3r

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »

download Cain and Able from www.oxid.it, you can use this to perform APR and sniff DNS and anything that goes from xbox to internet, it will also automattically grab certificates, and other goodies smile.gif

nope2dope

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

yeah, cain and abel is good, get commview too, use it once you're "sniffing and arp'ing in cain and abel, it is much more user friendly, and can save packets to your computer... cain and abel also can but, the program isn't to my liking and is buggy sometimes ( v2.9 not a stable release ).

( this stuff is like networking 101 class guys, there should of been one post back with an answer. )

This post has been edited by nope2dope: Mar 25 2007, 10:14 PM

Logan123

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

Ok this is what I did...

My Computer is connected to the internet in a wireless network
I connected the Xbox360 to the computer with a RJ-45 cable.
I made a bridge that would connect the xbox to the internet throw my computer
and than I simply used EtherDetect to sniff the packets.

I hope this can help you
Just dont forget to change the settings in EtherDetect
so it will sniff the right network adapter.

k1nk0

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »

has anyone else noticed that the packet that xbox live replies with after the 360 sends the first initial packet contains the console ID?

i am using the exact same method as Logan, works well.

Does anyone know how to intercept a packet by filter... E.G the first packet sent, edit it before it is sent to the server and then send it?

This post has been edited by k1nk0: Jun 7 2007, 05:41 PM