xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit  (Read 4156 times)

crb0621

• Archived User
Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »

Thanks for helping out man. Hopefully someone with their case open would be willing to keep trying? Thanks again.

willpower101

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

i will help if i can. btw, i did notice something. On the kiosks inside walmart, if you look at the controller there is a holster for a memory device. if you look at it upwards from underneath you will notice that there are four or five wires soldered on the bottom of the port.

they are red, green, white, and black. the same as usb. don't know if that means anything, but i would assume so.

lukecalypso

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 03:41:00 AM »

Hi,

i succesfully connected memory card to my pc with a 3.3 voltage regulator, but xp doesn't recognize the usb device...can someone help me to find a generic flash ram driver?
Also i have connected to another system and it recognize as mass storage (M-System Diskonchip 2000) with some errors..i'll try with linux.

BR

LukeZ

This post has been edited by lukecalypso: Dec 5 2005, 11:51 AM

lukecalypso

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 04:53:00 AM »

SilentWatcher

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

Get the driver directly from M-systems:

http://www.m-sys.com...5.x/default.htm

lukecalypso

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:15:00 AM »

I tried no result..i suppose there is an hardware conflict on usb bus, i'll modify my prototype with an usb hub..

LukeZ

willpower101

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »

you must have the xbox memory card wired wrong. i opened mine up and soldered a usb cable to it. i can post a pic of that later also for proof. this is what my computer showed when i hooked it up. two separate devices. the memory unit first and the security device second.  

http://img228.images...rivexbox0ht.jpg

you must have the xbox memory card wired wrong.

i opened mine up and soldered a usb cable to it. i can post a pic of that later also for proof. this is what my computer showed when i hooked it up. two separate devices. the memory unit first and the security device second.  

http://img228.images...rivexbox0ht.jpg

maddy2005

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 02:50:00 AM »

willpower101 have you tryed with the driver SilentWathcer ref. to ???

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

Sweet, its good to see some progress being made here as I haven't had the money to burn on a Memcard (being the holidays and all).  So willpower, was my diagram for the pin out correct or were the data pins different than what I thought??

Thanks man and good luck!

This post has been edited by Rustmonkey: Dec 8 2005, 04:43 PM

jason732

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

Any more progress on this yet?

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »

there won't be anytime soon.. it's not just the USB flash you need, but you also need the security chip that gets detected.. which you will have to rip from a memcard basically, so overall it makes very little sense, not to mention the solder work involved.

jason732

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »

cussing.gif you MS!!!

That's not the news I was hoping for, but good things come to those who wait...

Math1

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »

Given all the talk about requiring licenses for 3rd party peripherals, I would assume that all dvices will have the same sort of security device in them.

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »

Ok I decided to give this a try.

I messed up my first memory card so i had to go buy another one. I am glad i messed up the first one becasue i was able to make a adpater to let me have the memory card slot pins outside the case. See pic below.
IPB Image

Here is a pic of it with a femlae usb port attached to it. (the xbox will do its little circle thing like it is trying to find a drive but it will not find a hardrive attached to it or a thumbdrive)
IPB Image

I then went out and bought a new memory card and wired it the same way but this one still has the chip inside of the shell. Here is the pic of it.

IPB Image

I then used the pin layout descibed by Rustmonkey here I also downloaded the driver from Silentwatcher's post here.

I hooked up the memory card to my computer like this IPB Image and it found a xbox sercurity thing and a gerneric memory card. Here is the pic of the xbox sercurity thing. IPB Image. If you look further up under my drives you will see the memory card. I forced it to used the driver. I really dont know how, i installed the driver and played with it for a while. If anybody needs a indept detail guide, i will hook it up to another computer and try to amke a guide with screen shots.

After i got it hooked up i was aked to format the drive. IPB Image
I did and i was able to put files on it. BUT the second i put it back in the xbox and then put it back in my computer it asked me to reformat it. I alos put a profile on the memory card and then stuck it in my computer. Formated the card and when i put the card back in the xbox the profile was still there. That was strange to me. I think the profiles are stored on a different chip because i have 61.1 mbs free after i format the card. I hope this is a start to anybody that knows more about the sercurity ship on the card.

I have a jump drive that has a 256 mb smasung chip on it. I might try to replace the chip on the xbox memory card and see if i get ore memory on the card. I know this gets us nowhere but it is a start.

I might install linux and see of the format of the card is the same as the hardrive and the contents can only be read with a program that sees the format. I will need to study up more on the harddive project. I will have 10 hours of brdem at work tommrow to do it to. then i can come home and work on this some more.

Here is a pic of the memory cards device page. IPB Image

Here is a pic of the memory card hooked up to the computer and the xbox at the same time ( the xbox could see the card, but the computer could not) IPB Image
IPB Image

Im tired so im off to bed. I hope this helps and i hope we can go somewhere with this and if not. I have one mutated memory card. biggrin.gif

EDIT: If anybody was wondering, I used terminal strips so i could change the pins to a different usb wire if i had to.

XBoxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »

Nice work JoHnnyTK36. Now you have a mem card to USB does it work if you plug it into one of the front USB ports on the 360?

Just trying to figure out if the mem card ports are just USB but different connectors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18