xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: $systemupdate 12611 Won't Apply  (Read 315 times)

Faluke

• Archived User
$systemupdate 12611 Won't Apply
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

I've completed the process of updating my jtag freeboot 0.32 to the new 12611 for my kinect. However, my kinect won't work because the system update won't apply.

I've done this on 3 other systems and it worked perfectly.

This is a Jasper 512mb now running freeboot 12611.

Things I've tried:

MULTIPLE flash drives. I've got the $systemupdate folder sitting on the root of the usb. When I plug it in nothing happens. When I reboot nothing happens.

I've burned the update to a CD and also to a DVD and tried booting with it in the drive and nothing happens. The dashboard shows it as a "mixed meda disc"

Help please!

This post has been edited by Faluke: Nov 18 2010, 09:56 PM

Faluke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

Okay so after process of elimination (I asked myself, "Self, what is different about this xbox than my other ones". It was Jasper and others were xenons. So whats different? Internal memory)

I browsed to the internal memory and saw that it was unformatted. I formatted it and now it took the update.

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Faluke @ Nov 18 2010, 04:31 PM) View Post

Okay so after process of elimination (I asked myself, "Self, what is different about this xbox than my other ones". It was Jasper and others were xenons. So whats different? Internal memory)

I browsed to the internal memory and saw that it was unformatted. I formatted it and now it took the update.

Good job, i was about to follow your thread to see what the solution was, thanks for sharing!

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »

I'm assuming that you didn't have any other storage devices hooked up to the console when you tried to apply the update?  Having an unformatted internal memory unit shouldn't stop you from installing the update to another storage device, or at least it didn't in the past, so I'm just wondering if things had changed.

cardboardbox

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »

just to confirm, after flashing through xellous or flash360 to get our 360 updated to 12611, we still need to download the update from microsoft, put it on a usb drive, and let the 360 run the update?

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(cardboardbox @ Nov 19 2010, 10:13 AM) View Post

just to confirm, after flashing through xellous or flash360 to get our 360 updated to 12611, we still need to download the update from microsoft, put it on a usb drive, and let the 360 run the update?

Yes, you need the system update files installed on a storage device in order to have things like Kinect functionality and avatar editing.

cardboardbox

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

thanks, I needed someone to reassure me smile.gif

Faluke

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

I tried applying it with external drives plugged in and not plugged in. I tried every usb port and every possible combination and nothing would work until I formatted the internal MU.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

When you say "external drives", are you referring to drives formatted as 360 memory units?  Because that's what I'm referring to.  I'm saying that at least in the past, having an unformatted internal memory unit wouldn't keep you from installing a system update to to a 360 hard drive or external memory unit.

Faluke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »

I wasn't using an external usb formatted as an MU.

I have a 1TB Fat32 drive plugged in and no MS HD. That's it.

I even hooked up a MS HD just to see.

No matter what I had hooked up to it it wouldn't install the 12611 update until I formatted the internal 512MU using the MS dashboard.

doveman007

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »

I've just tried to apply this update for the Avatars and found it doesn't work either.

I've also got a BB Jasper with an unformatted MU. I'm not willing to format it as I've got some peculiar badblocks on my NAND which required remapping and I don't want to screw that up by using the MU.

Is there any other way of installing the Avatars. The only game I've had trouble with without them is Toy Soldiers, but I would like to play that  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: I thought I might have found the problem in Dashlaunch, and added

noupdater = false

to my launch.ini, but it still didn't work. I only need the $systemupdate folder on my USB stick and not the default.xex don't I? Should it matter if there's other files on the USB stick?

This post has been edited by doveman007: Apr 3 2011, 02:37 PM

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »

To reiterate what I've said before, you can only install the system update to a storage device that's formatted for the 360.  This includes 360 hard drives, 360 memory units (internal or external), and USB flash drives/external hard drives formatted as memory units.  You can't install system updates to a USB drive that hasn't been formatted by the 360.

Regarding your bad blocks, I'm pretty sure that the 360 itself will take care of any bad blocks when you format the memory unit.

doveman007

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »

Yeah, I read that already, but I'm only using a 360 formatted HD, so the systemupdate should work.

As I recall, the reason why it was advised NOT to format the MU is because writing to it could screw up the flash and stop the box working. I've got the tools needed to flash it again if that happened, but it's a major pain to hook them all up, install them, etc and then I'd be back to square one with an unformatted, unusable MU and no systemupdate, so I don't want to format or use the MU.

highonxbox

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »

Dude thats old school mentality. With latest dashlaunch it doesn't corrupt your mem when you format it. Just give it a try, format the internal MU and see if the update will take. It won't hurt to try.

doveman007

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(highonxbox @ Apr 4 2011, 04:53 PM) View Post

Dude thats old school mentality. With latest dashlaunch it doesn't corrupt your mem when you format it. Just give it a try, format the internal MU and see if the update will take. It won't hurt to try.

It certainly could hurt to try if you're wrong.

Until I read something authoritative that says that I can use the MU without messing up my flash I think I'll play it safe.
Pages: [1] 2 3