xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mxm Won't Load Games From Hard Disk  (Read 143 times)

Mr Magic

• Archived User
Mxm Won't Load Games From Hard Disk
« on: December 28, 2002, 08:20:00 AM »

I have a weird problem with MXM 0.9e. I made a bootable DVD with a few games on it and that worked fine. I wanted to experiment with skins, so I copied my MXM configuration to my hard disk with two games in subdirs. I added the <Menupath> setting to MXM.XML, so that it looks like this:

CODE

Various Games
Volume 1
LcarsSkin
F:\Applications\MXM

It loads up the Lcars skin fine, plays the music and also finds the screenshots for both games in the subdirs. However, when I try to start either game, a flickering loading screen comes up that says it's trying to load the default.xbe from my DVD-drive (D:\) instead of the F: drive. The music keeps playing, but otherwise MXM seems to hang. It looks as if it doesn't pick up the MenuPath setting from the MXM.XML file. I tried deleting the "save game" for MXM from the MS Dashboard but that didn't help.

Any clues?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 08:49:00 AM »

Try adding:

<MXMPath>F:\Applications\MXM</MXMPath>

This is used in the autoconfig, actually. I'm working on cleaning up a few things for the autoconfig at the moment, as well as the launching (better recovery from bad launches).

Mr Magic

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 10:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 28 2002, 03:38 PM)
Try adding:

Thanks, that did the trick!

One other question: I'm running the X2 BIOS with builtin IGR and while that does work when I run MXM from my hard disk (through EvoX), it does not work when I boot MXM directly from a DVD. Is that a known issue?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 12:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr Magic @ Dec 29 2002, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 28 2002, 03:38 PM)
Try adding:

Thanks, that did the trick!

One other question: I'm running the X2 BIOS with builtin IGR and while that does work when I run MXM from my hard disk (through EvoX), it does not work when I boot MXM directly from a DVD. Is that a known issue?

There seems to be a few odd problems with IGR. I don't have much control over that... some claim there's no problem running IGR on DVDs (I have a machine now that has the X2 BIOS, but I haven't really messed around with the IGR stuff yet.)

Of course, from the menu, pressing both Thumbsticks at the same time will boot you to "Exit App" - which by default should be the Dashboard.

ips

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 01:35:00 PM »

Ben, I solved your IGR booting from DVD/CD problem. Its simple actually. Just betamod patch the xbe file and it will work. It seems IGR is re-enabling the media flag checking of the xbe header temporarily.

Just patch the xbe file at offset 0x214 from: 050200 to FFFFFF (for MXM 0.9e)

This does not fix the boxplorer issue so I guess that is some other problem ;)

ips

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 03:13:00 PM »

Update: Hmmm it seems it only works if you patched it as stated above and have the USEMUSIC option off

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 06:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (ips @ Dec 29 2002, 05:02 PM)
Update: Hmmm it seems it only works if you patched it as stated above and have the USEMUSIC option off

Thanks for the info....

Does the last statement refer to BoXplorer, or IGR?

ips

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 07:09:00 PM »

IGR, I couldn't get boxplorer to load up mxm with the betamod patch and usemusic off.

Oh yeah this is IGR from the X2 4973 v1 bios. Just in case it matters.

This post has been edited by ips: Dec 30 2002, 03:11 AM

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 08:14:00 PM »

Well, to be safe, I'm setting my media flags to 0x80FFFFFF (all media types) and I'm also setting my initflags to boot, so we'll see if that makes a difference.