xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: About Multi Boot Dvd;s In General  (Read 208 times)

readonly

• Archived User
About Multi Boot Dvd;s In General
« on: December 25, 2002, 07:38:00 PM »

ok i got a few question, i tried to search for the answers but couldnt find an answer. First are there games that just wont work no matter what? and if so wich are they or is there a site that shows compatible games? and where can mxm be found if its legal of course and whats diff about it then any other menu selector other then look?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 08:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (readonly @ Dec 25 2002, 09:27 PM)
ok i got a few question, i tried to search for the answers but couldnt find an answer. First are there games that just wont work no matter what? and if so wich are they or is there a site that shows compatible games? and where can mxm be found if its legal of course and whats diff about it then any other menu selector other then look?

1. No, there's no real list of releases that work over those that don't. For some reason, I've never seen Slugfest 2003 work, not by itself, or with Complex MenuX. There are not many games like this, however.

2. I can't tell you where to find MXM outsright, but the MXMReadMe.txt file is often posted in the alt.binaries.* xbox newsgroups in usenet. Do a search in the forums here for more info. The Readme is also often posted to the #xbins ftp site, you have to get use IRC and log intot he EFNET server to find this 'channel'

3. There's a lot of difference between my program and the other selectors than simple look. For one, there are soundtrack options, a screen saver (those with HDTV or projection TVs should want this), works on both DVD and Hard drive configurations, and the next version will also feature help screens. MXM also supports video textures... which means that screenshots can be actual videos of the game in action (the teasers are sometimes included on the game discs) or video can be used as backgrounds or other graphical elements. Lastly, MXM supports the keyboard and IR controller and passcode protection for programs.

The future of MXM, beyond 1.0, will probably include nice 3-D UIs, and it's currently the only open source app that comes even remotely close to dashboard functionality. I'd invite anybody capable of improving on that side of it's functionality to play with the source code.

readonly

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 12:26:00 AM »

hey jeremy how do u personally burn multidisc games and determine wich work and wich dont? and so on?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »

QUOTE (readonly @ Dec 26 2002, 02:15 AM)
hey jeremy how do u personally burn multidisc games and determine wich work and wich dont? and so on?

I figure a game doesn't work when I 1) burn the ISO, 2) extract from the ISO to the hard drive and 3) burn a multi-game compilation and none of those work for me. :::shrug::: how else would one do it? Use ESP?

Slugfest and Robot Wars are the only ones I haven't gotten to burn and work. Gan Valkyrie didn't like the multi-disc at the time, but that might have been a Complex MenuX problem - I'll have to try it again to see if MXM will launch it ok.

Just follow HSDEMONZ guide (link in my signature) as far as burning the discs, he prefers making ISOs in XDFS format, but I get by just fine with UDF.

readonly

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 04:51:00 AM »

ok you have helped so much just have couple more things. Iburnt a test with 4 games, they work fine but first thing when im picking that game the text of the game name is really small but the text for the info bellow is fine. How can i remove the intro with the sky moving and how can i remove the screen the comes up after saying this is a test compilation blah blah blah. Here are my xml files.

MXM_Skin.xml

<Config>
<Options>
<MenuSmoothScroll>on</MenuSmoothScroll>
<DescrSmoothScroll>on</DescrSmoothScroll>
</Options>

<Menu>
<Top>100</Top>
<Left>63</Left>
<Width>230</Width>
<Height>200</Height>
<NumItems>7</NumItems>
<BorderColor>0xa04444ff</BorderColor>
<BackColor>0x80000000</BackColor>
<ItemColor>0xff808080</ItemColor>
</Menu>

<Title>
<Color>0xffffffff</Color>
</Title>

<SubTitle>
<Color>0xff80ff80</Color>
</SubTitle>

<ScreenShot>
<Top>120</Top>
<Height>193</Height>
<Left>334</Left>
<Width>260</Width>
</ScreenShot>

<Descr>
<Top>305</Top>
<Height>30</Height>
<Left>63</Left>
<Width>230</Width>
</Descr>

<Sounds>
<TitleClose>launch.wav</TitleClose>
<MenuUp>menu.wav</MenuUp>
<MenuDown>menu.wav</MenuDown>
<MenuLaunch>launch.wav</MenuLaunch>
</Sounds>

<Backgrounds>
<Title>bg.png</Title>
<Loading>wait.jpg</Loading>
<Menu>MenuBack.jpg</Menu>
<SaverLogo>SaverLogo3.png</SaverLogo>
</Backgrounds>

<DefaultDelays>
<DefaultTitleDelay>2</DefaultTitleDelay>
<DefaultSaverDelay>300</DefaultSaverDelay>
<DefaultLoadingDelay>5</DefaultLoadingDelay>
</DefaultDelays>

<Music>
<Dir></Dir>
</Music>

</Config>

MXM.xml

<Config>
<Main>
<DiscTitle>DVD test disc</DiscTitle>
<DiscSubtitle>Custom Collection</DiscSubtitle>
<Theme>1</Theme>
<TitleDelay>20</TitleDelay>
<SaverDelay>30</SaverDelay>
<MenuPath>D:\</MenuPath>
</Main>

<Item_1>
<Title>Ghost Recon</Title>
<Description>Tactical First Person Shooter</Description>
<Media>ghost.png</Media>
<Dir>gr</Dir>
</Item_1>

<Item_2>
<Title>Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance</Title>
<Description>3D Fighter</Description>
<Media>mortal.png</Media>
<Dir>mk</Dir>
</Item_2>

<Item_3>
<Title>Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4</Title>
<Description>Skate Boarding</Description>
<Media>tonyhawk.png</Media>
<Dir>thps</Dir>
</Item_3>

<Item_4>
<Title>Unreal Championship</Title>
<Description>First Person Shooter</Description>
<Media>unreal.png</Media>
<Dir>uc</Dir>
</Item_4>

<Music>
<UseMusic>off</UseMusic>
<Directory>Media</Directory>
<Global>on</Global>
<Random>off</Random>
</Music>
</Config>

Thnx for any help :)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 09:05:00 AM »

The game titles are small because they are long... MXM resizes the titles to fit the available area. Try reducing the size of the longer titles.
The alternative is to design a new skin with more width for the title information.

The "sky and logo' intro screen can't be removed - it's part of the initialization. I made it as unobtrusive as possible, but there were more complaints about the long loading times, so something was needed to fill the space. People with the XDK and some programming knowledge could replace it with a blank screen if they want.

As for the title screne, I will look at that issue for the next release. I'll set it up so a TitleDelay of '0' causes MXM to jump directly to the menu screen.

readonly

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2002, 02:19:00 PM »

ive got a question, does it resize all of them? for example if i have a game titles "hello" and one titles "hello everyone bleh bleh bleh" will both be considered the length of the longer one and resized accordingly? or will the "hello" be big and the other be small?
thnx.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2002, 02:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (readonly @ Dec 26 2002, 04:08 PM)
ive got a question, does it resize all of them? for example if i have a game titles "hello" and one titles "hello everyone bleh bleh bleh" will both be considered the length of the longer one and resized accordingly? or will the "hello" be big and the other be small?
thnx.

It resizes all of them based on the largest one.

Technically, it creates an image internally of all of the titles, wide as the largest title, and as tall as the number of titles times their individual heights... that's how smoothscrolling works for it. This 'big image' is then resized dynamically to fit the area provided for it by the skin.

In the future, I suppose the skin definition could limit the number of characters used in a title, to prevent titles from being too long.