xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Media X Menu 0.9e Problems  (Read 366 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9e Problems
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2002, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (RobX @ Dec 21 2002, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 21 2002, 09:57 PM)
I just tried the Boxplorer thing, and yes, it hangs.

I will try and pinpoint the problem... very strange.

As for MXM_Entry.xml, the file must be in the directory of the game, which will be in an immediate subdirectory of MXM. It's entries consist of <Item> sections, not numbered item sections, since it's one file per game (the idea is that you keep the file with the game, so you can mix and match collections later, or that release groups could be nice and put the entry there, along with a screenshot.

ben sorry to be such a pain in the ass... but it still isnt work for me.

Here is one of my xml files, located in the same dir as the game:
[Item]
Title=Nes Games
Description=nes/auto
Media=MXM_SS.png
Exe=default.xbe

but still doesnt see it.....

Well, that file would work great as an ini file.... but MXM no longer supports ini files (yeah, I know I haven't updated that part of the last readme.txt file)

<Config>
<Item>
<Title>Nes Games</Title>
<Description>nes/auto</Description>
<Media>MXM_SS.png</Media>
<Exe>default.xbe</Exe>
</Item>
</Config>

Except these two lines are not required:

<Media>MXM_SS.png</Media>   <---- This file should be in the game directory, MXM will find it
<Exe>default.xbe</Exe>    <------ MXM automatically looks for default.xbe first, if not found, looks for the first xbe in the directory.

Just make sure the directories you are running autoconfig for are directly below MXM.

I'm working on improving the config options for the next release. Hopefully this info will get you up and running, though...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (ips @ Dec 23 2002, 12:01 PM)
Ben, I have found a problem with v0.9e. I think its related to the running from Boxplorer bug. When I run the game (using the 4973 X2 bios with IGR). It runs fine, it boots from the EvoxDash using the auto run feature. I select an item to run from MXM it runs fine but if I press the IGR from the game that I am playing it reboots but locks up with a black screen. It doesn't seem to want to boot MXM from the disc thats in the drive after an IGR button press. It also locks on the black screen when you press IGR from the MXM menu when booting from a disc using MXM.

Well, I'm going to look into the Boxplorer bug soon enough. I just wrapped up the Passcode entry screen feature (to prevent unauthorized access of games and progs) and I'm adding Help Screens to the system.

I do know, when booting form Boxplorer, that it crashes somewhere inside my app, so hopefully, I'll be able to figure out what's causing it and fix it on my end. At least it's something I can recreate (that's 80% of the battle with fixing bugs)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2002, 12:22:00 PM »

OK, for what it's worth, MXM, launched via Boxplorer, is crashing when it goes INTO the DirectSoundCreate() API function.

Bizarre.

I'm not sure there's ANYTHING I can do about this one, unless somebody can clue me in on why Boxplorer is not launching applications properly.

I half expected it to be something simple-stupid, like symbolic links preset or some other funky assumption shattered, but DirectSoundCreate() is a pretty straightforward function, and you really can't screw it up. It goes into the API and never comes out - nothing I can do about that.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2002, 07:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (ips @ Dec 23 2002, 05:09 PM)
I haven't done any DX programming at all, but I was just looking over your source and the MS Platform SDK but noticed that in the CXBoxStateApplication::InitSound where you called DirectSoundCreate there is no call to IDirectSound::SetCooperativeLevel. The Platform SDK I am reading now is kind of on the old side (DX7 and not for the XBox) so it may just be out of date, but it says in the remarks: "The application must call the IDirectSound::SetCooperativeLevel method immediately after creating a DirectSound object."

Edit: Oh I just re-read your previous message, Its crashing going into the API call so it never gets back out so never mind the above stuff wink.gif

Yes, though your catch was decent... things are a bit different in the Xbox. None of the examples call SetCooperativeLevel() - because it's not supported in the Xbox  blink.gif

I had an epiphony while out doing last-minute shopping... it might be due to the order, and that the IGR stuff, even when disabled, is still trying to do it's hooking, and failing becuase of Boxplorer. It could be that the call to DirectSoundCreate() is hooked to perform the patching to the app, but I've already passed the input initialization...

Anyway, nobody from the Evo-X team wants to fess up any details on IGR implementation, so, I'll just have to play around with it a bit.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2002, 08:40:00 PM »

Oh well.. just tried a few things. No go.

I guess that simply means you cannot launch MXM from Boxplorer. I tried launching BX with an earlier non-IGR version of Evo-X on a non-Evo-X BIOS. I also re-arranged the initialization.

Odd, because I do believe MXM once worked with Boxplorer. I'm not sure what's happened to change things.

drewZen

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »

hey ben jeremy, great program.... i tested with a few items and it was fine.... the fonts were large and readable. But when i added the rest of my items (over 20) the title selection on left had very very small fonts but the description below was still the same.... did i do somethin wrong??

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2003, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (drewZen @ Jan 16 2003, 11:14 PM)
hey ben jeremy, great program.... i tested with a few items and it was fine.... the fonts were large and readable. But when i added the rest of my items (over 20) the title selection on left had very very small fonts but the description below was still the same.... did i do somethin wrong??

Is this with version 0.9e or 0.9f?

Always work with the latest one, and see what happens.  ohmy.gif

I'm still working on some issues with the menu display, do that's probably going to get revamped in the next release, anyway, since I'm reworking a lot of the way the displays are drawn up (for generic skinning).

The size will shrink to make longer titles fit, so if you have a particularly long title, try making it a bit shorter and see how that works for you.  smile.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (fall @ Jan 17 2003, 02:49 PM)
Hi Ben, the new version of MXM rocks! any word from the Xecuter team about the IGR issue with xecuter's BIOS? Thanks a ton!

-F

No word yet.

I plan on doing some investigation once I get an X2 Pro.... I'll be able to switch between the IGR and debug BIOSes on my development Xbox.

drewZen

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2003, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (drewZen @ Jan 18 2003, 02:49 AM)
thanks for qwik reply about fonts, seems to shrink if you have 30+ characters. I do have another question, i tried the <help> option with a couple of pics. Is there anyway to have a help picture/vid for each title or game u have? Meaning i could have a picture of button configuration for each game....or clip, or whatever. This program and XBMP has been keepin me busy   biggrin.gif

Yes, in 0.9f, I added the ability for each game to have help. The Black Button is for the "game help" as described in the ReadMe, while the White button is for the MXM help.

In the "game help" screen, you can launch an app by pressing "A" or "Start"

It sounds like you replaced the MXM help screens, rather than the game help screens.

In the game directory, help for games can be auto-config'd like the screenshots, using MXM_GHxx.* where xx is a value  from 01-99 (must start with 01 and continue contiguously) and '*' is a valid image extension.

So for a series of JPGs, in the game directory, you'd have:

MXM_GH01.jpg
MXM_GH02.jpg
MXM_GH03.jpg
MXM_GH04.wmv     <-- perhaps you have a help "movie" to throw in there as well smile.gif

Then, when that game is highlighted in the menu, you can press the Black button and get these screens to navigate through and even launch the game from there.

Pages: 1 [2]