xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nand Of Demo Xbox's + Other Confusing Questions  (Read 451 times)

gamesquest1

• Archived User
Nand Of Demo Xbox's + Other Confusing Questions
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

right im not claiming to know much here just adding some input, im pretty sure that the "demo" xbox actually run a variation of the dash from the dvd drive thus allowing them to pop a new disk in with new demos on, the box itself is just a normal 360
but im not 100% sure here just seemed to remeber reading it somwhere years ago, maybe its diffrent now
but the disk did actually run from a normal DVD-ROM no patched FW needed, but MS blocked this in a update long ago, so i presume its just the same but now they recieve pressed kiosk disks with proper xex restrictions in place
but look up "xbox 360 kiosk disk" it was leaked years ago and was actually used as the basis for the first menu for jtagged 360's

as for switching cpu's yeah im also pretty sure this is doable it would make any nand on the box your using invalid and thus you wouldnt be getting the original KV to use with freeboot 3.2, so you would be limited to only using firmwares that allow KV swapping unless you can retrieve the original nand off the donor box aswell but then it poses the question of why not just resetting the cpu on the box it came from

also another thing you have to take into consideration is that all the diffrent cpu types mean you would have to get a matching motherboard to put it on i presume, but dont quote me on that

emily_1125

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

Thank you for the information!

Disney dvd collection

MadBoxer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(ff7cstrife @ Oct 19 2010, 05:57 AM) View Post

also, where exactly is the xbox dash data stored?

The core dashboard is stored in the NAND. The extra features like avatars and kinect features are stored on your harddrive in the $systemupdate folder.

If it resides solely in the NAND chip, is it also possible to grab the chip (and only the chip) and re-write a new nand to it? say, one with 7371 dash, or even the old blade style? these are the things i think about at night  sad.gif

You can only rewrite a new dash if the box is jtag exploitable. After the 7371 dashboard, the burned efuses will not allow dashboard manipulation.

Is it possible to take the banned CPU of, say, an 8955 and place it into a jtagged 7371 and change the CPU key to that of an unbanned console, then placing it back into the 8955's original mobo thus making it unbanned?

A cpu on a board that has dash 8955 means the efuse are burnt and the jtag exploit if no longer possible. Moving it to another board would cause multiple problems.

1. It would not boot because the CPU you removed would not match the cpu key of the jtag box.

2. Even if you magically had the CPU key and was able to somehow create a working KV to inject into the jtag'd nand, the box still wouldn't boot because the CPU efuses are burned!

another thing, eFuses are in the CPU, correct? would replacing the CPU with a diff one re-enable jtagging, and if not, what will?? I'm talking about going balls out and not doing the cheapest method, but taking price and materials out of the way.

In theory I imagine if you have the proper equipment and the skills to successfully reball, then technically speaking, you could take a broken exploitable box, remove the CPU, dump the nand chip, reball, move the cpu to another working motherboard of the same type, and replace the nand information. This may make the working board jtaggable, but I'm not 100% sure if other things have to match (IE: Mac address of the ethernet chip?). You make have to swap other chips as well.

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

swapping chips on a mobo can always cause problems in general

but my theory is that perhaps sum1 could get the nand off a dev console and flash that to a retail 360's nand chip(possibly u could remove the 360's nand chip and flash it directly with a pc)

Zeck

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(f34rther34pr @ Dec 1 2010, 03:53 AM) View Post

swapping chips on a mobo can always cause problems in general

but my theory is that perhaps sum1 could get the nand off a dev console and flash that to a retail 360's nand chip(possibly u could remove the 360's nand chip and flash it directly with a pc)

Why would you want to do that..?