xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Update on Tser's Shader Experiments  (Read 687 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Update on Tser's Shader Experiments
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

Update on Tser's Shader Experiments-- Posted by XanTium on January 3 22:09 EST
XboxHacker.net posted an update from Tser about his experiments with editing the shaders in the King Kong demo (More info here if you have no idea what this is about):

Tser has an update on his shader experiments in this thread. (Please remember if you choose to participate that this thread is for technical discussion, thanks!)

I have now Experienced 2 fatal Crashes already on my xbox, during my shader experiment.
When the Xbox crashes ...
* It Halt's itself with a freeze : the Screen which was active, remains. (one time, black screen, 1 time the loading.wmv file of king kong on a halt - )
* eject does not do anything
* USB Devices are not longer working
* Wireless Controler does not get connected
* Plugin in a USB Controler only lights up Left Corner, and Right Down Corner
* Unconnected Video Out Cable results in red flash, Reconnecting removes red light
* The only way to get your box back is to unplug the power cable

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

is there some sort of hack someone can do with a crash like that? like one of those buffer overflow ones? or is that something different i'm talking about?

TSOPrano

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

My 2 cents are that all this kiosk hacking will be to no avail given the virtual machine architecture of the console, but good luck to all who are taking it upon themselves to mess around with the beast.

eDeus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

I agree - best case scenario is a hack which exists inside the VM.

Other security mechanisms will block any serious hack attempt.

Only real option is hacked DVD ROM so that we can play burnt DVD's. But this is only for pirates :-(

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »

I'm betting that this disc is not going to bring that much success to hacking the xbox. I think if the leak was a hugh issue we would start seeing Xbox Live sending message to people about the issue or sending out letters in the mail. I don't think they would just quickly ban the units because how much the unit depends on Xbox Live. I admit we found a cool way to do some thing with the xbox 360 with this disc. but still these attempts are great too. I mean it ist totaly possiable I'm wrong and these guys might find the missing key that someone is looking for.  good job guys for trying. but I know I'm not betting on much sucess with this leak.

Moltdar

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »

this disc is going to help us as much as the XBOX1 profile updates which CAN be burnt on a CD/RW/DVD and boot legimitely and are still signed, just like the boot disk. Nothing there, stop being excited, and move on people.

toolwerx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »

im tired of bullshit posts. please dont say, "i feel grand about x topic." It really contributes for shit and gets in the way of useful replys.

xmodem

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Moltdar @ Jan 4 2006, 03:42 PM) *

this disc is going to help us as much as the XBOX1 profile updates which CAN be burnt on a CD/RW/DVD and boot legimitely and are still signed, just like the boot disk. Nothing there, stop being excited, and move on people.

no, we already have the flash player, which will allow us to do some very cool stuff.  I am not going to make any predictions as to what else will come out of this disk, but whatever it is, I can't wait to see it.

xfxc

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »

Can somebody with access to xfxc.exe from the xbox 360 developer kit contact me ?

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

Maybe the shaders trigger a buffer overflow, and then the sHype (hypervisor) catches it and halts the 360?

Keshire

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

Essentially it's a matter of finding something that will bypass the hypervisor. You can't plug every hole.

The community currently is like a dog testing a radio fence. The wire(hypervisor) is buried underground, while the dog first tests where the boundry is weak. Then if neccessary digs underneath.

Fear my analogy. tongue.gif