xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1 Terabyte Hd Mod  (Read 210 times)

popaman

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »

Don't know if its been done before, but just want to show off my HD mod. Internal is the only way for me.

(IMG:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/nitussi/S6300112.jpg)
(IMG:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/nitussi/S6300113.jpg)
(IMG:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/nitussi/S6300114.jpg)

crash_2012

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »

nice, would you be able to pick up the drive and post some pix of that??  also, some info on how you did this would be great too.

popaman

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »

Im at work now, but soon as i get home will post more pics.

It's pretty simple though.

For the 360 cpu heatsink, I took a gpu heatsink off an old 360 and cut it the right  size with a chop saw, guess you can use a hack saw but it will be harder. I just cut off 3/4 in. of aluminum that hangs over to the base size of the original 360 cpu heatsink.

Then I put a athlon cpu fan on top of that to keep it cool. May not be necessary on a jasper, but mine is a falcon.

I cut a 1/8 in. thick piece of plexiglass to 4x5 3/4 in.(the size of 3.5 hd), and screwed it to the bottom of the hd for protection.

Then I drilled 3 holes in the side of the 360 chassis to support the HD. Was going to add a leg or two for more support, but I found the side of the 360 is pretty strong and holds the HD quite well.

And I dremeled out the fan shroud, and it was perfect for tunneling air above the HD and under it, while also adding extra support for the the HD.

As far as wiring the sata data and power, I got that from someone else thread. Will post later.

Also the top plastic cover of the case had to have the metal shielding removed and a couple plastic tabs broken off for a perfect fit. This is because my system is a falcon and it has that extra gpu heatsink extension in the way that prevents me from bolting the hd any lower. Systems without it could have the hd lowered  up to a centimeter.

This post has been edited by popaman: Dec 13 2009, 03:35 PM

Mr.RedRing

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »

That's awesome, how are you're temperatures?

farmboynick

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »

looks really nice but i would be worried about overheating there is no way that a cut down gpu block will dissipate the heat quick enough, but all the same nice job

popaman

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(farmboynick @ Dec 14 2009, 02:05 AM) View Post

looks really nice but i would be worried about overheating there is no way that a cut down gpu block will dissipate the heat quick enough, but all the same nice job

I was worried also, but it works surprisingly well. No overheat issues what so ever. I'll check back with temps.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

under420dog

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:00 AM »

nice job....nice clear and normal sized pic...got sick of scrolling from side to side...just to look at (over blown up bad focused)pic's in other posts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
you should also mention this is for the homebrew only...lol

This post has been edited by under420dog: Dec 14 2009, 12:15 PM

iceman2048

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

Great work, love the mod!

Just curious, where is the power for the hdd coming from? I assume from some points near the psu connector. And what about the SATA connector? I suppose the connector built-in to the M$ hdd caddy could be extended.

I wonder if dvd drive checks can be disabled, and mount the hdd in its place, that'd be awesome!

Sage2050

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »

haha for a second i thought i was looking at an xbox 1

iceman2048

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »

Nevermind, I found a tut, courtesy of FrostyTheSnowman:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=699024

Looks like fun, seems like only one hdd can be connected at a time (for those who are noobs like me and wondering:P  )

popaman

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(iceman2048 @ Dec 15 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post

Nevermind, I found a tut, courtesy of FrostyTheSnowman:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=699024

Looks like fun, seems like only one hdd can be connected at a time (for those who are noobs like me and wondering:P  )

I misplaced that post and I couldn't find it again. Thanks for posting it.. and thanks too Frosty.

kipper2k

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(farmboynick @ Dec 14 2009, 08:05 AM) View Post

I think the added fan on top of the cpu heatsink would make up for loss of heat sink cooling area as long as the air flow is laminar and not fighting against the rear fan. i might give this a go if reported temp are comparable with a default heatsink machine

farmboynick

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

tried an exact replica this mod on a jasper console last week but the temperatures of the cpu increased by 17 degrees c and the gpu temp increased by 5 degrees c, that being said i still like the idea lots but it cant be good for the console, i ended up bolting my hdd to the outer shell and using frosty's setup

jgsieve

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »

that is awesome! I was wondering if there was a way, I might try that if my Esata isn't doing what i want it to do. Also, you can buy 1U server cpu fan/heasinks that handle quadcore cpus that i think would work great with this, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835114075

ahmer

• Archived User
1 Terabyte Hd Mod
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

I was thinkin of doing this, except to make it easier, I would externalized the dvd drive, as it is rarely used. (maybe to update xell, Xbreboot, ect if usb not working). This will keep the cooling system in tact, and eliminate the need for any cutting.
Pages: [1] 2