xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 120gb Hacked Drive - Constantly Clicking!  (Read 233 times)

robo989

• Archived User
120gb Hacked Drive - Constantly Clicking!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(CHR1ZS @ Dec 15 2008, 09:25 PM) View Post

thanks for all the info guys. I think I will have to take it to a mates house and give it a try, it must not like my via chipset.
on the positive side I actually haven't had a problem with it clicking, I don't know if anyone else ran it in there 360 without doing wdidle3 fix but the way the original poster robo989 described it, it sounded terrible where as I can't hear any excessive clicking especailly above the 360 fan noise.
so may different bev drives don't have the same problem, mine is the bevs-75LAT0 where as robo989 had the bevs UST0.
either way it won't work my chipset so I think I will leave it now over christmas and see how it goes
thanks again for all the quick replies.

Hi mate, yes thats correct.

I did purchase a further drive which was a UST22 I think and that had the same behaviour of "clicking" every 10-20 seconds. It *could* just be a feature of the UST drives not getting on well with the 360 and incorrectly parking itself.

The drives definately aren't faulty though as running the wdidle3 utility got rid of the clicking.

If you haven't noticed the "issue" then I would say that there is no problem with your drive and you don't need to run the utility. You would definately notice it if it was clicking, no doubt about it. fans\dvd noise or otherwise, at least with the 2 UST drives I tried.

topo80

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(robo989 @ Nov 29 2008, 12:30 AM) View Post

I FIXED IT!!!!

It will FIX yours too....
1. Search google for a DOS utility called "wdidle3.exe"...

2. Create a bootable disk\usb\cd etc with the program on and your 120GB drive connected also...

3. Type "wdidle3 /d"

SORTED!!!!!

This will disable its "intellipark" feature. If you just type "wdidle3" in my case it was set to 8000ms (8 seconds of inactivity before "parking" the heads)

Its a completely pointless feature and will reduce the lifespan of your drive.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO FLASH BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE TO USE IT - IT WORKS FINE WITH THE FUJITSU SECURITY SECTOR...
Plonk it bank in your 360 and enjoy the bliss of pure silence....

Now someone give a me a bloody gold star and make this a STICKY!

I can't believe you people with hacked 120GB drives are putting up with this annoying ticking, now only that but there is ZERO info on this issue on google at all!!!!!

I have heard my drive click from time to time. My problem is another though. When i press the (X) button to access dashboard menus and/or send messages etc etc, the xbox freezes for a few seconds, and then continues to go back to normal. Could this be that the drive is set to spin down/power save after a set time? I'm going to try this tomorrow and see what the results are, hopefully this will help other ppl that might have the same problem after upgrading to a 120gb.

Thanks for the wdidle solution smile.gif

topo80

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(topo80 @ Dec 29 2008, 03:22 AM) View Post

I have heard my drive click from time to time. My problem is another though. When i press the (X) button to access dashboard menus and/or send messages etc etc, the xbox freezes for a few seconds, and then continues to go back to normal. Could this be that the drive is set to spin down/power save after a set time? I'm going to try this tomorrow and see what the results are, hopefully this will help other ppl that might have the same problem after upgrading to a 120gb.

Thanks for the wdidle solution smile.gif

Didn't help against the freezing part.

herewego

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

if wdidle3 doesn't work on your card or motherboard then all i can say is try a different motherboard of a friend.  an intel board seems to work good.
Pages: 1 [2]