xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 120gb Hacked Drive - Constantly Clicking!  (Read 232 times)

robo989

• Archived User
120gb Hacked Drive - Constantly Clicking!
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

Hello there, I have a very strange problem that nobody else seems to have (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Last week I bought a 120GB WD Scorpio BEVS UST0 drive and followed the hacking guide with no problems to make it an "official" 360 hard drive. The I copied all my exisiting data to it and profiles and so on. Put it in the Xbox 360 and for some reason I keep hearing this "clicking" noise when I do nearly anything on the dash that access the hard drive.

It sounds more like a "tic" that a click to be honest. It's definately NOT normal accessing of the hard drive, because when I actually do access it properly for example when installing a game to it, its completely silent. I wouldn't mind so much but this "tic" noise can be heard every 20-30 seconds when watching a video from my NAS...Why the 360 is even accessing the hard drive during this is beyond me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

It sound a little bit like the drive might be going in and out of some low power mode like the drive heads are being parked after each read or something?

I thought it might be a dodgy drive, but I ordered another one from a different retailer - again a UST0 and again - EXACTLY the same behaviour....

Surely this isn't normal?

Is there maybe some power management software I could load in DOS on my computer to change a setting in firmware like a lot of drives have maybe?

Am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone else have this "problem"...

I can't believe that anyone would be able to tolerate this in all honesty.....

Many thanks for any help\guidance with this.

mrwhipper

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »

I think you are right.  I bet you are hearing the head parking.  I know that was a bit of a common problem with WD Scorpio HDDs.  I know that they had a firmware fix for the problem but, well, you can use it.  I would not panic that it is going bad.  Take care.

robo989

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

Cheers dude smile.gif

I've done some googling and found that WD offer a utility that can disable "parking" of its drives.

However, I'm not sure if it will actually have any effect since the hddhackr tool used to make the drive 360 compatable overwrites some firmware code with a Fujistu serial\code...

Anyone got any ideas....?

Thanks,

Vauxfan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »

I hear this noise also, doesnt really bother me so long as the drive continues to function.

Got a 3 year warranty with mine so no worries biggrin.gif

Vauxfan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

Thanks! just done it.

tekdelorean

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »

This noise is driving me crazy... I've been trying to use that wdidle3.exe program but to no avail.. I cannot disable it. I can set the idle timer to different settings but when I try to disable it with /D it just defaults back to 6000ms..
I tried setting it to the max setting (255) and it restarts the 360 every 10 seconds...

Anyone have any ideas? I spent all yesterday trying to figure this out it's pissing me off...

Haruk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

yo guys i had that gay 6300 problem too but i was able to get it fixed

what i did was just unplug all my hard drives and use my VIA card i used to flash xbox drives in order to do it, and it worked fine

hope this helps

Vauxfan

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »

Well when I did it I just removed the Sata Hdd from a Dell inspiron 1520 laptop and replaced it with the bevs, booted to dos and ran wdidle3 /d.

Haruk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(robo989 @ Dec 6 2008, 08:26 PM) View Post

I can only make sure, are you definately booting into pure DOS mode (booting from a floppy\USB drive). It sounds like what you peeps are experiencing might happen if you try to get the thing done in windows?

My only other suggestion, would be to have a play about in the bios of your computer, make sure you ONLY have the bevs drive plugged in and set your sata to "comptibility mode"....or equivalent in the bios...

Other than that, can't really help sorry. I guess its a hardware compatbility thing and you just gotta hunt down the right setting to get it to work properly with the utility.

Google might be able to help you out?

nah, it's definitely a problem that happened in DOS, i dont think you can even run it inside windows if you have that problem try doing what i stated above it worked for me

tekdelorean

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

IT WORKED!
FINALLY this noise was driving me crazy
Connected the HDD directly to my laptop (HP PAVILION DV6000)
booted to dos from a usb drive and ran wdidle3 /d
WORKED!
I love you guys thanks VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111one one

Vauxfan Thank you for your suggestion!

CHR1ZS

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

I don't know if anyone can help as most of you seem to have got round the problem but I just can't get wdidle3 to work.
I did the firmware upgrade no problem just connecting to my onboard sata port which uses the via vt8237 chipset. I originaaly used my iprep flash drive to try and run wdidle3 seeing as it worked for the firmware flash, but after a couple of tries running wdidle3 /d and just being told idle 3 timer is enabled and set to 6300 milliseconds I then decided to get an old floppy drive and connect that up to my mobo, I then made a dos 6.22 boot disc and tried again but still the same, it just won't let me disable it.
The wdidle3 file I am using is 160kb file is that the correct file? or any suggestions?

Vauxfan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(CHR1ZS @ Dec 14 2008, 06:21 PM) View Post
I don't know if anyone can help as most of you seem to have got round the problem but I just can't get wdidle3 to work.
I did the firmware upgrade no problem just connecting to my onboard sata port which uses the via vt8237 chipset. I originaaly used my iprep flash drive to try and run wdidle3 seeing as it worked for the firmware flash, but after a couple of tries running wdidle3 /d and just being told idle 3 timer is enabled and set to 6300 milliseconds I then decided to get an old floppy drive and connect that up to my mobo, I then made a dos 6.22 boot disc and tried again but still the same, it just won't let me disable it.
The wdidle3 file I am using is 160kb file is that the correct file? or any suggestions?

Try disconnecting all other hard/optical drives in the system.

calloused labia

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(CHR1ZS @ Dec 14 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post
thanks for the quick reply, I have tried it with just the xbox hd and the floppy drive connected but still the same.
It is a frustrting problem as the computer can see the drive wdidle3 can see the drive it just won't disable it.
Any help appreciated.

EDIT
I just read your other posts.. I see you are using the VIA onboard. I had the same problem you did when I used a 6412 card. I connected the drive to my onboard SATA ICH7 and it worked fine.

tekdelorean

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(CHR1ZS @ Dec 14 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post
thanks for the quick reply, I have tried it with just the xbox hd and the floppy drive connected but still the same.
It is a frustrting problem as the computer can see the drive wdidle3 can see the drive it just won't disable it.
Any help appreciated.

Try another sata card, my VIA was able to flash it and was able to "detect" the idle setting timer 6300 but wasn't able to change it. I had to connect the HDD to my internal laptop sata port to get it to work.

Try doing it on another system, or another card

CHR1ZS

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »

thanks for all the info guys. I think I will have to take it to a mates house and give it a try, it must not like my via chipset.
on the positive side I actually haven't had a problem with it clicking, I don't know if anyone else ran it in there 360 without doing wdidle3 fix but the way the original poster robo989 described it, it sounded terrible where as I can't hear any excessive clicking especailly above the 360 fan noise.
so may different bev drives don't have the same problem, mine is the bevs-75LAT0 where as robo989 had the bevs UST0.
either way it won't work my chipset so I think I will leave it now over christmas and see how it goes
thanks again for all the quick replies.
Pages: [1] 2