xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 120 Gb Hdd Into 20 Gb Case?  (Read 56 times)

trx450always

• Archived User
120 Gb Hdd Into 20 Gb Case?
« on: December 25, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

I got the halo 3 special Edition Xbox for Christmas, and wanted to have the 120 GB hard drive for the space.  So I plan to get the 120 HDD and the transfer cables.  Then perform the copy, and then swap the 120 GB drive into the Green and Orange 20GB hard drive case that came with my 360.  Is this possible?  I searched and looked but nothing came up.  I am assuming this is a easy swap since the cases muse be the same dimentions?  Is this is easy as I think?  has anyone done this before?
Thanks

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

The case is "dumb", as it is just a connector, that has no knowledge of the drive contained within.  Yes it is a simple swap, that can be done in a matter of minutes.

trx450always

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Dec 26 2007, 06:27 AM) *

The case is "dumb", as it is just a connector, that has no knowledge of the drive contained within.  Yes it is a simple swap, that can be done in a matter of minutes.

Perfect.  And I am assuming it will recgonize the 120 HDD and will swap all games saves over without a hitch?  Or have people had problems with the swap in the past?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »

When the 120gb hdd is purchased as a standalone, it comes with a transfer cable.  Depending on the amount of data needed to be moved it can take a bit of time.  I would reccomend doing the data swap before the hardware swap, incase there is an issue, atleast you havent broke the warranty seal yet.

But to directly answer your question, it should work without a hitch.

trx450always

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Dec 26 2007, 06:46 AM) *

When the 120gb hdd is purchased as a standalone, it comes with a transfer cable.  Depending on the amount of data needed to be moved it can take a bit of time.  I would reccomend doing the data swap before the hardware swap, incase there is an issue, atleast you havent broke the warranty seal yet.

But to directly answer your question, it should work without a hitch.

Thanks SP.  I appreciate the quick help!

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

I've done exactly this with my Halo LE console... The copy is slow but works perfectly, it also Virgins the original 20Gb as part of the process.... You will also violate the warranty on both drives....