xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Disabling Live in the BIOS  (Read 1420 times)

openwindow

• Archived User
Disabling Live in the BIOS
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

telamon

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »

hmm.. Anyone knows actually what the xb live ip ranges are? Came looking here for those so that i could filter them away, .

Really fellas,  some of you must be quite stupid, i mean, why over and over propose that the live filtering should be done on the xb level?
I think that most of you have a small network at home, i mean, not many of you pay for internet acess just to plug your xb into the wall.

Soo. I  belive that the best  option is to let your local packet router handle the droppings and take the pressure off our pros and let them develop something more useful than a  hardware filter for the fellas with no network experience or what so ever.

I'll happily write you a tutorial on how to filter out ip-addresses and ranges on both *nix and windos systems; if you have a regular pc as a router that is. (supposly that i can find the ip ranges without needing to unplug my net cable and put up a sniffer to figure it out.)

And if you have one of those hardware routers doing the job for ya, then you should do what you should have done instead of comeing up with such a stupid idea as a button sequence:
                  Read The Fucking Manual!

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 04:16:00 AM »

The issue was not that people did not know how to deal with a router.  It was adding a second step besides switching a mod on/off since you'd have to unblock the IP again.  Plus - backing up a Live aware game and accidentally hitting a button was becoming a problem for people.  There's a thousand ways to get around something but the new bios is by far the most elegant and foolproof solution.

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 08:15:00 AM »

I think I got a better way of disabling Live connectivity - for dashboards updates etc:

Patch hex string "24 01 F6 D8 1B C0 23 C6" to "24 00 F6 D8 1B C0 23 C6".

This is untested, but I verified its existence in couple of XBEs (including update.xbe). Someone willing to test this?

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (smo @ Feb 4 2004, 01:15 PM)
I think I got a better way of disabling Live connectivity - for dashboards updates etc:

Patch hex string "24 01 F6 D8 1B C0 23 C6" to "24 00 F6 D8 1B C0 23 C6".

This is untested, but I verified its existence in couple of XBEs (including update.xbe). Someone willing to test this?

Exactly what does this do?  I know the prior hack simulated an unplugged ethernet cable, and that seems to work fine.  I'm just curious as to how this is better.

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Feb 4 2004, 06:27 PM)
Exactly what does this do?  I know the prior hack simulated an unplugged ethernet cable, and that seems to work fine.  I'm just curious as to how this is better.

The exact same thing. The first hack just disables the call to a function that checks for the cable. This one disables the actual function. Apparently the first patch doesn't work for dash updates which will still get you banned.

It's possible that this will also disable some homebrew apps using MS's secure network libraries (and maybe Winsock, that needs to be tested out).

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »

Okay, so if the first one disabled the call to a function that checked for a cable, yet didn't prevent the dashupdate from working then apparently dashupdate never called that function so disabling the function or the call to it wouldn't make a difference...

Right?

or am I thinking of this wrong?

Basically i'm thinking to block dashupdate you'd have to block the function it uses after the function that checks for a cable cause it seems dashupdate just tries that without ever checking for a cable plugged in...

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 08:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Feb 4 2004, 08:35 PM)
Basically i'm thinking to block dashupdate you'd have to block the function it uses after the function that checks for a cable cause it seems dashupdate just tries that without ever checking for a cable plugged in...

It wouldn't make any sense that dash update wouldn't check for network connectivity. Only way you get banned is that your Xbox goes online. I believe the dash updating process doesn't log you on to Live (your dashboard updates if you have Live 1.0 and you try to register first time on Live, am I correct), but it uses some network functions directly. The patch I provided above should block all kinds of MS network activity by "attacking" the low-level network library function.

By the way, I think it can show up multiple times in a XBE and all occurances should be replaced.

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

Similar to how the X2 BIOS patches XBEs with media checks on the fly, it would be nice if it would patch XBEs that attempt to connect to Live in the same manner.  It would be nice if it would display an error notifying the user, then load the dashboard.....of even just load the dashboard.  That would be sufficient, and I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

EDIT:  I just split these posts from the "New Ideas for BIOS Hacks" thread.  All relevant posts were shifted over.

This post has been edited by Xeero: Nov 27 2003, 03:15 PM

Prophetz

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »

Dont know if we can do this in the bios, or maybe evox. But being able to disable the nic/lan card in evox so there is no chance of connecting to live. Maybe work it with a combo of buttons, or a selection while evox is booting? Just a thought.

Krill123

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2003, 07:59:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2003, 10:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (desertboy @ Sep 21 2003, 04:37 PM)
Ability to turn the network port on and off, so live users can let siblings use their chipped xbox's without worrying about their younger brother getting them banned.

there shoudl be some sort of communication though (don tknow if its possible) so like evox can turn it on for FTP, but then when you launch a game or other program without an FTP daemon it will switch the port off

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2003, 07:44:00 AM »

And, maybe a feature that wouldn't allow backups to connect to Live.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2003, 11:21:00 AM »

:::sigh::: the problem with hacking the BIOS to prevent LIVE access is that most of the internet access code is int he XBE, not the BIOS.

The only real way to do it would be to disable networking altogether - not good for dashboards running FTP Servers, eh?

One possibility might be to have some programmatic means to enable the networking from a homebrew app, or even key off of the media byte, if disabling the network is a possibility at all.

sulfur

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2003, 04:05:00 PM »

i've herd it mention, about disable network connection, but what if the bios just made a ip block list of M$ Live sites? then you still use network and not have to worry!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5