xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Disabling Live in the BIOS  (Read 1417 times)

DCarnage

• Archived User
Disabling Live in the BIOS
« on: December 31, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »

Wow, do you still live with your parents?  #1 I'm not an idiot.  #2 I never put you down in any way.  #3 It is possible, but it would be very difficult.  

When I say, "It is possible" that means if a person spent enough time backward engineering the bios and rebuild it, it can be possible.  Or even if they wrote their own.  <-- very very very difficult, but NEVER impossible.  There are no hardware limitations for doing what everyone has suggested in this thread.

Peace biggrin.gif

Pillzburydoofus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

No one, as of yet, has found a way to run two programs at one time on the xbox...  That means, an xbe firewall is out of the question unless you want to come up with a way yourself to run two programs at one time (outside of linux.)  It's possible to run WindowsCE now on your xbox (with problems) and everyone said it couldn't be done...  That means that eventually, theoretically, you could run Windows XP/98/ME.  The easiest option you have is to run the dvd2xbox acl string to stop the "known" live checking string.  If this hex value makes it into a bios, (and it could) then that would stop ALL games using that string from connecting to xbox live... The problem therein lies with M$ Dashboard updates... a future dash could (possibly) allow for a secondary call, but it would still have to allow the one used now, otherwise all the current Xboxlive games would not be able to go live anymore.  This seams unreasonable because the only reason M$ would do this is to purposefully ban people for modding...  Wouldn't put it past them, but come on... this isn't a conspiracy.   Has anyone tested this hex replacement to see if it allows system link?  I'd rather take the risk of losing live to be able to play system link.  and lastly... I set my xbox live account up to use a password (button sequence) the day I activated it.  No game that I've played so far has EVER connected to live without asking me for this password.  If I "accidently" activate live AND put in my password while the switch is on, then I'm just a freaking retard.  (This has not  been tested with ALL Live Aware games, but Prince of Persia didn't connect without password.)

Summary:  

1. Xbox Live blocking CAN be enabled through the BIOS, but you would need someone with knowledge of how the BIOS is compiled and edited to do that.  

2. Put a password on your Live account...  It helps!!!

3.  UnleashX is the best dash to date.

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

Just thought I would mention that if you backup your Live account to a memory card, and then delete the account from your Xbox, your Xbox will NEVER connect to Live in a manner that could ban your account, and you just need to plug in the memory card to play on Live.  A solution I figured out months ago when Live 2.0 came out, but nobody seemed to take seriously.  smile.gif

And yes, I have tested.  tongue.gif

And btw, I have Live 2.0, run Live-Aware games all the time, and have even clicked on Live tabs in games and the dashboard while mod-chip was on (for testing purposes).  I have been doing it for months now, and I am still not banned, so ....

...ReLLiK

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »

As with BrienJ, I have been using my acct on a memory card with no problems either. I have also been doing this for several months and have posted this in the forums somewhere once ago.
Did  you all notice xbox live! may be disabled in the new X2 bios?? I bet they are incorporating the hex idea....

I have no problem the way it works for me now, but I would like to have this in bios for my nephews' xbox! That way they can get live! and not render the xbox live useless on accident! After all, they are not old enuff to know better!

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (...ReLLiK @ Jan 2 2004, 02:53 PM)
As with BrienJ, I have been using my acct on a memory card with no problems either. I have also been doing this for several months and have posted this in the forums somewhere once ago.
Did  you all notice xbox live! may be disabled in the new X2 bios?? I bet they are incorporating the hex idea....

I have no problem the way it works for me now, but I would like to have this in bios for my nephews' xbox! That way they can get live! and not render the xbox live useless on accident! After all, they are not old enuff to know better!

Nice to see another intelligent individual on the boards, and thanks for hopefully stopping the "No, that can't be true" and "but what if, ..." posts.  smile.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »

The BIOS Live-disable would work exactly the same as the no patch hack and no patch hack2 works.  It just patches the XBE in memory.  Why do you guys think this would be difficult (never mind impossible)?

Moorish

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

How I have mine setup currently is I have modified the BIOS so that when I boot up with the chip on the LED is Red as is the Xbox Logo. Also I have messed with the .xbe file the BIOS looks for on the CD/DVD Rom (just called it asdfasfafa.xbe or whatever) so that with the chip on it will not boot straight from the CD/DVD. This is enough to make me realise I have the chip on as to boot any game from EvoX I have to tell EvoX to boot from the CD.

It's not perfect but it's working fine so far. I may get myself a memory card and transfer my Live! Account to that though - sounds like a good idea.

ivc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

... however a new x2 bios being finished now disables live so you will not have an accidental connection.

Original forum post (seems to be down atm)

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »

and its out...
(unpinning)

openwindow

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

...ReLLiK

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 07:30:00 PM »

LOL.
Good work on this subject to SMO, Shadow_MX, Psilocybe, Leftyfb & MaDgamEr especially!

Cutriss

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (openwindow @ Jan 5 2004, 05:26 AM)
Can't wait to hear Curtiss' reply as to why it's not possible now

biggrin.gif

Way to stuff words in my mouth.

I said that FIREWALLING Xbox Live in the BIOS was impossible.

Implementing smo's hack (which I said a ways back was quite clever) in the BIOS is entirely different.

AsTnBoMb

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 06:38:00 AM »

Yea Cutriss is still correct, the bios does not firewall XBOX live, rather it hacks the memory on-the-fly to make it seem as if the ethernet cable was not plugged in.

Cutriss

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the backup, AsTnBoMb. :-)

And for the record, I am running smo's hack in dvd2xbox, as I prefer doing it that way as opposed to running a newer version than 4977. Props to the X2 guys, definitely, but I like 4977, and the only way I'm gonna change it anytime soon is if I patch in the LBA48 hack. :-)

DCarnage

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5