xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: New Ideas For BIOS Hacks  (Read 3562 times)

Instinct[DA]

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

how bout taking the pros of all the bios out there and putting them into one bios. And taking all the cons of the new bios, and fixing them. And all of the good features preople on this forums have made up too!!!

If you told me how to make a bios, i would start one right now. if you need a programing language, you might have to wait awhile..........

Instinct[DA]

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT BIOS DO YOU THINK IS BEST???? OPTIONAL: LIST 3 PROS AND 2 CONS OF THE BIOS YOU THINK IS BEST!

monke

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »

m7

Easyest color mod/easy flubber mod,  Works with xbtool easy, isnt messed up a lot like  the xecuter ones (remberes the msxboxdash and xboxdash screw up)

No intigrated IGR (didnt notice one) Still MS at the bottom of the loading scree.

Instinct[DA]

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

oh.... so this is where i put the post into a random place..... the what is the best bios thing..... just ignore it......

dzv

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

This has been suggested before, but so far hasn't been implemented:

I would love to see an In Game Shutdown combo implemented.  Even better would be if NghtShd could implement this as a patch for XBTool and/or EvoTool.

Risca

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

laugh.gif

I don't know who to turn to, but I took it like NghtShd is the one to talk about xbtool (great tool indeed). He would be the one who can answer this.

If you can do anything of this it would be highly appreciated by many, I'm shure  biggrin.gif

Third
I haven't tried the embedded FTP, but after what I've been reading here it doesn't work so good. Why is it that it can't be run "in the background", eg. when playing a game? I've tried searching for this with no success

Fourth
For those who have installed additional RAM (the few, but brave), wouldn't it be possible to load any TSR above the standard 64MB, and lock the first 64MB only for games. If it was possible then you could load up a mp3-player above the 64MB limit and then play a game, wich at most uses 64MB.
Possibly (probably, I haven't looked into RAM-upgrades that much) a special BIOS for that

I'd appreciate any response to this
smile.gif

//Risca

L337CH337

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »

Howabout a bois this a eject load button combo, and integrated debug bios?

desertboy

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

Said it many pages before but I'll say it again. I want a tool for my pc similar to xbtool but that can edit an original xbox bios to turn it into a modded bios. IE patch the bytes for unsigned code, media check, unlocked HD, etc.

SearchFor

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

Wake-on-LAN
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Wake-on-LAN is a PC computer network adapter which allows IT network managers to send a packet and power on dormant client machines. It is an Intel Wired for Management System product. It was developed as part of the IBM and Intel Advanced Manageability Alliance.

Wake-On-Lan is triggered by a so called "MagicPaket" (trademark of Advanced Micro Devices), which is an IP-packages with a defined content. These packages can be build and send with several tools also available as freeware.

WOR (Wake-on-Ring) or WOM (Wake-on-Modem)are remote pc wake up from a DialUp Modem .

could this be implemented on the XBOX via bios?

so we could switch the xbox on from anywhere on the same LAN...

if the xbox hardware supports it then it would still need to be supported via bios.

done by giving the ethernet card on the pc some power +3v (i think) when it is off to allow it to watch for a specific packet. i have it setup on one of my PCs. it becomes active after the pc has past 1 POST screen. i.e. can't unplug then replug power from wall and then WOL. the packet is generated using the target PCs ethernet address (Google Search for WOLCMD.exe) and the packet is sent to the LAN broadcast address, the router then relays it to all connected devices on that subnet. if the target successfully receives a correctly formed packet it powers on.

any input/discusion u have would be great

TIA

desertboy

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (FlashKick @ Sep 3 2004, 10:12 PM)
...why?

It would add some legitmacy in some countries. You patch your own bios you took from your own xbox machine.

Very easy for us raincoat fans.

EvilGoodGuy

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

I would love to see a software switching method for a second harddrive replacing the DVD drive.

mr_greedy

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

have seen the xtender solution for putting in more than one ide drive into an xbox.
basically it turns off the power to a disk and turns on another.

but the problem is that you cant access more than one drive at a time.

what about using a solution like in the amiga computers.
the a1200 and a600 only had one ide port so using a logic circut and some diodes allowed you to gain access to up to four drives.

by making a custom driver for the ide interface which selected the different drives using software commands that were seamless to the system.

i know nothing about the xbox hardware and if it is capable of doing but the circuit is really simple.

would this be just a bios update to get this to work.

i beleve there is source code and diagrams on aminet for this.

could this be a possibility on the xbox?

h8raid

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

I agree that embedded FTP would be one of the best things.

Next thing I saw mentioned that seems like a very good idea, but I think my idea is slightly different.  A bootloader, like linux uses lilo/grub, to either boot dashboards, etc., or be able to load a full linux drive.  So I guess not so much a bootloader, just a function that would allow it to boot either this or that.  The reason for this would be for people that want to use multiple drives, and dont want to wire a relay, just flip the drive select switch and bam, instant linux, or xbmc, whatever you want.  I think for the future of the scene having a bios that would dominate instead of having this and that, we need to have a specific format if development is to continue more rapidly, and this would be a start in that direction.

The other thing would be to have support for other file structures such as NTFS.

Alright, time to prepare for the flames. I have been reading up on installing Windows on the Xbox, there are several issues with this.  Before I go into this I will now say I am not really a big fan of the idea, but I am working on a multi-drive project now focusing on simplicity, and well, windows is a lot simpler than linux so.  I know 1 is ram and processor power, Friendtech has resolved these issues for us with their upgrades.  We know also that Windows on the Xbox is possible through a few methods, all of which require it to run within linux which is causing a lot of the slowdown people are complaining about.  I have been unable to confirm the validity of this, but I have also read several reports of problems with Windows running because of the checks that are run on bootup, it fails, so will not boot.  I realize that there are different kernals the Xbox uses, but it would seem there should be ways around this with everything else the scene has made happen for the Xbox.  I believe if the bios were hacked appropriately to start bootup like normal, then go on to do whatever PC bioses do that allow you to use either windows or linux.  Yea, hope that makes sense, flame if you will.

h8raid

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »

@gioxtreme, go read the tuts before asking ?'s, or better yet ask them in your proper forum, the one at the top that says newbies, or even better still learn how to use that button that says SEARCH.

h8raid

• Archived User
New Ideas For BIOS Hacks
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »

What about implementing something into the bios so that when your temperature goes above the "normal" operating range, the fan will speed up.  I know you can change your fan speed, but you should be able to set this up in the bios so that when playing games and whatnot, your fan will speed up when the temperature gets too high, or if you leave your box on for long periods of time, unmonitored, your fan will always make sure the box is operating at normal temperatures, and you will not have to keep an eye on it or constantly hear the fan when it is set up to always run faster.  I know the fan speed can be controlled by the bios already because you can set the speed with xbtool, but it should be able to look at the temperatures and adjust accordingly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17