xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VGA Support  (Read 907 times)

junkmonkey

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (brian @ Sep 18 2004, 07:49 PM)
By ~$0 you mean ~$15 right? Because unless you happen to have a lot of specific chips and cables spare, you have to buy quite a few things.

Fair point.

I bought a £2.50 (~$4.50) no-name XBOX AV cable, and stripped a VGA connector off an old monitor. That's all you need. Not free but not exactly X2VGA (or whatever) level.

EvilWays

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2004, 07:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Apr 30 2004, 06:42 PM)
Higher resolutions are possible with the two vga bios.  The problem you are having is your cable.  You have to have an HD cable, or set the right pin settings for HD, to access 720p and 1080i in the ms dashboard.  If you set pin 11 to 9, the cable will go into vga mode (GOG), and only 480p will be possible; 720p and 1080i will not even show up as an option in the ms dash.  I am using a modified HD cable, and I get 720p and 1080i with the vga bios.

The only problem with the higher res settings is there is a color ratio imbalance; too much red and not enough blue in the picture.  Making playing games in 720p or 1080i useless.  Some monitors will display the color ratios correctly, but a lot of monitors don't work correctly in 720p and 1080i due to the syncs used in the higher modes.  Basically in 480p the sync pulse in the video is "bi-level" meaning it only goes negative and the vga bios is designed to "clip" that negative sync off.  720p and 1080i use a "tri-level" sync meaning the sync goes negative and then positive.  The vga bios are only able to clip the negative portion off but can not do anything about the positive portion of the video.  A lot monitors will interpret this positive sync tip as color info and sample the black reference level incorrectly.  I expect there may be a way to fix that with the VGA BIOS if it is designed to switch the video encoder to use "bi-level" syncs for those video modes.

The other main problem, as you have stated, is a lot of good xbox games, including the n64 emu's, turn green after the initial boot.

Question: is this based on using either a SoG capable monitor or with an LM1881-based circuit?

Over at Xbox-Linux, Oliver suggested tapping the internal H/V signals running between the xGPU and video encoder chip. He also included pics of the points needed to tap said signals, though I could only verify them for the v1.0 board (I don't have a v1.1 board to check those points). His idea with this is that it'll alleviate the color problem since you would have pure sync singals instead of "separating" a composite sync singal from the green signal (or letting the monitor do that with a SoG capable monitor).

I was planning on doing this mod, but another mod I was working on killed my v1.0 board. Once I get a new board, and this mod up and running, I'll be posting my results in the Xbox Audio/Video area of the forums (which will go with spillage's homemade case and a shitload of audio and video outs to go with it).

And to answer the question before it's asked here...yes, you'd still need a VGA debug BIOS even with tapping the board for pure sync signals. This was asked in the Audio/Video part of the forums and I thought I should keep that clear.

TB_88

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

His idea with this is that it'll alleviate the color problem since you would have pure sync singals instead of "separating" a composite sync singal from the green signal (or letting the monitor do that with a SoG capable monitor).

And to answer the question before it's asked here...yes, you'd still need a VGA debug BIOS even with tapping the board for pure sync signals. This was asked in the Audio/Video part of the forums and I thought I should keep that clear.

WHy do you need a VGA bios if the color problem is solved?
Why not set the AVIP to HDTV thenyou also get all modes.

Maybe your right, if so does the board only give those sync signal when in VGA mode? I know you get a balck screen if you try VGA with the orginal bios...

EvilWays

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

You need the BIOS to tell the Xbox to enable the required resources for VGA output, or whatever it does...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Sep 26 2004, 03:38 PM)
He also included pics of the points needed to tap said signals,

Could you direct me where to find these pictures?

Also, are you saying that this might fix the 720p color ratio prob, or some games reverting back to green prob?

Thanks,
Foe-

M-K-E!

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (alg5 @ May 2 2004, 02:04 PM)
to return on the subject...

if someone has the real & complete datasheet of the conexant, i'm interested  jester.gif

-Zou-

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

for now only 5001

-Zou-

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Oct 29 2004, 11:58 PM)
Could you direct me where to find these pictures?

Also, are you saying that this might fix the 720p color ratio prob, or some games reverting back to green prob?

Thanks,
Foe-

In the new linux howtovga there are some pictures of the internal sync :

front side point : http://members.cox.n...n1687/con3e.JPG
back side point : http://members.cox.n...687/conunde.JPG

patto

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »

don't bitch for 256k bios, 512 is fine
just as long as vga is added properly

EvilWays

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (-Zou- @ Nov 13 2004, 11:22 PM)
In the new linux howtovga there are some pictures of the internal sync :

front side point : http://members.cox.n...n1687/con3e.JPG
back side point : http://members.cox.n...687/conunde.JPG

I can only verify that those points will work for a v1.0 mobo. I don't have a v1.1, 1.2, or 1.4+ board so I don't know if those points are the same, and the points are in a different location for v1.3.

-Zou-

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Apr 30 2004, 06:42 PM)
Higher resolutions are possible with the two vga bios.  The problem you are having is your cable.  You have to have an HD cable, or set the right pin settings for HD, to access 720p and 1080i in the ms dashboard.  If you set pin 11 to 9, the cable will go into vga mode (GOG), and only 480p will be possible; 720p and 1080i will not even show up as an option in the ms dash.  I am using a modified HD cable, and I get 720p and 1080i with the vga bios.

How did you do to have 720p or 1080i with VGA Bios?

The only problem with the higher res settings is there is a color ratio imbalance; too much red and not enough blue in the picture.  Making playing games in 720p or 1080i useless.  Some monitors will display the color ratios correctly, but a lot of monitors don't work correctly in 720p and 1080i due to the syncs used in the higher modes.  Basically in 480p the sync pulse in the video is "bi-level" meaning it only goes negative and the vga bios is designed to "clip" that negative sync off.  720p and 1080i use a "tri-level" sync meaning the sync goes negative and then positive.  The vga bios are only able to clip the negative portion off but can not do anything about the positive portion of the video.  A lot monitors will interpret this positive sync tip as color info and sample the black reference level incorrectly.  I expect there may be a way to fix that with the VGA BIOS if it is designed to switch the video encoder to use "bi-level" syncs for those video modes.

is it possible to rebuilt the correct signal? With somes NOR/XOR/AND/... gates?

Arcann

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »

There's already a VGA hacked bios from PiXEL8 based on a complex debug, but it doesn't allow resolution selection, and doesn't defeat 100% green tint with some games (could autopatching be a solution ?).
If people is really interested maybe Team Xecuter / Team Evox could add VGA hack in  future releases.
Arcann :ph34r:

EDIT: Please, can a moderator make this sticky ?

This post has been edited by Arcann: Jun 16 2003, 09:54 PM

gsharaf

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2003, 01:03:00 PM »

It is a very minorly used feature, if you want it, do it yourself.

xBaNaNaEv0LuTiOnx

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »

theres a TATX debug bios with VGA support added in by LameOne floating around the net  ;)  but some games still have the green effect

that i kno of, there is no way to get around the green in those selected games, you'll just have to live with it (or until a team or person decides to work out that problem)

maxgeek

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »

A transcoder like the xboxvga.com or xblaster works fine. I have an HDTV and and a xblaster. The xblaster's image quality is about the same. Some people say the color is a little off but the same person said the xboxvga.com was prefect so you can always go with xboxvga.com
Pages: 1 [2]