xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VGA Support  (Read 904 times)

alg5

• Archived User
VGA Support
« on: April 07, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »

Yes it would be good. in retail bios too.
Transcoder is no good. Nothing compare to real VGA output...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

Pixel8's vga bios, and TATX vga bios are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is TATX allows for more than just xbox v1.0, where as Pixel8's vga bios can only be used on v1.0 xbox's.  The tatx bios were built from pixel8’s bios.

Higher resolutions are possible with the two vga bios.  The problem you are having is your cable.  You have to have an HD cable, or set the right pin settings for HD, to access 720p and 1080i in the ms dashboard.  If you set pin 11 to 9, the cable will go into vga mode (GOG), and only 480p will be possible; 720p and 1080i will not even show up as an option in the ms dash.  I am using a modified HD cable, and I get 720p and 1080i with the vga bios.

The only problem with the higher res settings is there is a color ratio imbalance; too much red and not enough blue in the picture.  Making playing games in 720p or 1080i useless.  Some monitors will display the color ratios correctly, but a lot of monitors don't work correctly in 720p and 1080i due to the syncs used in the higher modes.  Basically in 480p the sync pulse in the video is "bi-level" meaning it only goes negative and the vga bios is designed to "clip" that negative sync off.  720p and 1080i use a "tri-level" sync meaning the sync goes negative and then positive.  The vga bios are only able to clip the negative portion off but can not do anything about the positive portion of the video.  A lot monitors will interpret this positive sync tip as color info and sample the black reference level incorrectly.  I expect there may be a way to fix that with the VGA BIOS if it is designed to switch the video encoder to use "bi-level" syncs for those video modes.

The other main problem, as you have stated, is a lot of good xbox games, including the n64 emu's, turn green after the initial boot.

Another problem with the vga bios is that it does not allow support for the Lba48 hack; allowing for hdd's greater than 137gb.  When this hack is implemented, and the vga bios are on, nothing on the f or g drives will be recognized.

The vga bios have been in the beta stage for almost 2 yrs now, and nothing has been done on them since (I assume the author, Pixel8 has lost interest in his project).  This really a shame, because the games the vga bios do work on look and work amazing.  There are a quite a few people who are interested in this; hell, it would alleviate the need to buy an expensive transcoder for the xbox, and give a better truer vga picture.  This topic is discussed extensively in the video/audio section, here on xbox-scene, and on xboxhacker.net, for those of you who would like to learn more on the subject.

EDIT: Also, i could care less about the vga bios being 256k, for one, they more than likely will never be because they are based off the 512k dubug bios, and another, what in the hell did you get a 256k chip for? blink.gif

alg5

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Apr 30 2004, 07:39 PM)
EDIT: Also, i could care less about the vga bios being 256k, for one, they more than likely will never be because they are based off the 512k dubug bios, and another, what in the hell did you get a 256k chip for? blink.gif

never say never  laugh.gif
for example there are people trying to do a debug 256 Ko bios.

and for your: "what in the hell did you get a 256k chip for? blink.gif"
what do you mean ? a 256 Ko chip is enough. having x2 or evox bios able to do vga would be better...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (alg5 @ Apr 30 2004, 08:16 PM)
never say never  laugh.gif
for example there are people trying to do a debug 256 Ko bios.

and for your: "what in the hell did you get a 256k chip for? blink.gif"
what do you mean ? a 256 Ko chip is enough. having x2 or evox bios able to do vga would be better...

Never

Well 256k chip cannot be used with the vga bios, so it obviously is not enough.  The only reason to not get a 1mb chip is if you’re extremely cheap, and/or cannot solder (matrix, for example).  And even if you do have only a 256k chip, you could always flash your tsop.

I agree, having the evox bios incorporate the vga bios would definitely be the better way to go.

rob1309

• Recovered User
VGA Support
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »

not being cheap and i can solder but my current chip is matrix
hell i can solder as i installed my first chip piece of cake, xtender 1.1 (not lpc) which was what, 29-31 wires smile.gif
after that i didnt feel like doing another one
and after 2 chips, i didn't feel need to buy another chip just for bigger flash rom as bios loader exists and works very well for using debug bios when i need to

alg5

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »

i'm agree...
i don't see any reason to buy a fucking 1 meg bios, it's a total waste of money  laugh.gif
with a 256 Ko, you can still use phoenix to load a bfm vga, that's what i do.
this does not change the fact that a new vga bios would be good, and in 256 Ko.

and this conversation as nothing to do in this thread  laugh.gif

alg5

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 06:01:00 AM »

to return on the subject...

if someone has the real & complete datasheet of the conexant, i'm interested  jester.gif

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 09:20:00 PM »

Pixel8 is involved in the new BIOS group.. so I can only assume he'll find a way to squeeze in the VGA features.. or at least make them an option..

Psilocybe

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

-meh posted a little too much probably so might as well take it all out-

This post has been edited by Psilocybe: May 26 2004, 05:18 AM

bucko

• Recovered User
VGA Support
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 04:46:00 AM »

Sounds cool.

epsilon9090

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »

I user the vga cable, but since I dont have any high definition pack or something to view it with I am stuck using the original vga cable by loading games directly after phoenix bios loaded loads, which means I may never see evox in vga mode because it relies on the M$ dash to know whether to use 480p, 720p or 1080i.

Psilocybe

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »

not like you are missing much without seeing evox in proscan, do yourself a favor and try a new dash

dcnigma

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

good idea loading a bfm vga bios for vga thx gone try it soon my vga cable is made a year ago but i have a cheapmod not because i am cheap beacuse i only found one seller in my regio and he only sells cheapmods so its 256k But dont care. thx for the idea.
Greetz Dcnigma

junkmonkey

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (modulust @ Sep 15 2004, 09:14 PM)
maybe i'm a little late on this, or in the wrong forum.. are you guys just discussing bioses to create vga output?
i mean, what's wrong with an x2vga+ (~$70) ?

Yeah but making your own cable and using a VGA BIOS is ~$0 smile.gif

brian

• Archived User
VGA Support
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (junkmonkey @ Sep 15 2004, 09:42 PM)
Yeah but making your own cable and using a VGA BIOS is ~$0 smile.gif

By ~$0 you mean ~$15 right? Because unless you happen to have a lot of specific chips and cables spare, you have to buy quite a few things.
Pages: [1] 2