xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Brand/model Hard Drives Have You Used To Try To Clone?  (Read 307 times)

evilkeo

• Archived User
What Brand/model Hard Drives Have You Used To Try To Clone?
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:03:00 PM »

I was thinking that maybe we should be trying to find the closest model number to the HDDs used in stock hard drives. Maybe the firmware would be close enough to make it easier? Just throwing the idea out there- not the brightest bulb in the crayon box here.

my hard drive is a Sammy HM020GI, here's a link to a cheap HM040HI: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152505

also, if i tried to use a 3.5" drive, could i pull the 12v from the dvd drive? and if my mobo doesn't have an SATA controller on it, would using an SATA->IDE adapter make a difference, even a small one difference? i don't know if it would be exactly the same, etc.

ymgve

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rymez @ Jan 10 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

D) 256 Bytes of data from 0x205C (This is a hash) I assume either of the serial/model data but I have tried a couple of algorithms and couldnt figure it out but then I am not a crypto person. Could also be a hash of the png also. Ideas???

This is probably a 2048-bit signature, created by MS with their private key. If that is the case, it will be impossible for us to generate this signature.

Another, more viable option is to somehow change the serial of the disk drive to match with that of the original drive. I don't know much about IDE drives, so I don't know exactly how difficult that will be.

anttimonty

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rymez @ Jan 10 2006, 03:25 PM) View Post

I have just received a Hitachi HTS541060G9SA00 (60Gb)
Which is the same 5K100 series as the model (20Gb) in my 360.

I have been doing some tests and there are a couple of things necessary on a drive for it to be recognised.

A) MS PNG (Not a problem)
cool.gif Serial/FW/Model Number data (This can be calculated)
C) Static Data (24 bytes)  (Not a problem)
D) 256 Bytes of data from 0x205C (This is a hash) I assume either of the serial/model data but I have tried a couple of algorithms and couldnt figure it out but then I am not a crypto person. Could also be a hash of the png also. Ideas???

Have you tried to swap the circuitboards of those HDDs? Most likely you would have to update the frimware to support 60GB disk unless it has that 20GB disk has unified firmware. This could be one way to get more space, but ofcourse this isn't away to manufacture new ones.

Drunkn_Munky

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:19:00 AM »

"not the brightest bulb in the crayon box here."

Why would there be a bulb in the crayon box? tongue.gif

Avaric3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

\"not the brightest bulb in the crayon box here.\"

Why would there be a bulb in the crayon box? tongue.gif

i guess that proves that hes not the sharpest tool in the shed, lol

ruciz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

This thread has answered a lot of my questions regarding the creation of my own X360-recognized HDD.