xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Not Freedos?  (Read 324 times)

XDelusion

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« on: July 10, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

FreeDOS sources can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos/

and

OS USB drivers:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dos+usb&sou...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

and

DOS GUI's "Seal 2 is coming along well".

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/dos/gui.htm

MANY other options are out there for DOS, such as CD/DVD burning, Divx playback, GUI's, WWW, ect.

From here we could potentially run Win 3.11 if ont 95/98, or if not that, we could open up the door to all those games that could not be played on DOSBox or Boch.

VampX

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (XDelusion @ Jul 10 2004, 09:46 PM)
or if not that, we could open up the door to all those games that could not be played on DOSBox or Boch.

I like that idea. :popcorn:

sulfur

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »

sounds like a plan. good work.

Clockface

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

This could be great - even if it couldn't run Windows or have 3D hardware support we could still play lots of great DOS games such as Carmageddon and Dark Forces. Plus we could play Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D etc with add on levels too (Lantus's ports of Quake, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are very good, but still lack some features, such as being able to easily use third party mods, and in DN3D you can't invert the Y-axis, sadly).

Just as long as the port of Freedos included a virtual keyboard and mouse!

XDelusion

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

Actually I think there are some sort of DOS GL drivers out there...
...not sure how exactly you would use them though since about all GL games are written for Winblows. Either way, there HAS to be a way to fire up 95/96 or at least 3.11 on top of FreeDOS, but ya, once again, if not, I'd still be VERY satisfied with DOS alone, there is shockingly a TON of stuff out there for DOS that I never knew exsisted or was even possible.

Lantus' Quake ports have a few things to catch up on, but I'm sure he'll clear those issues up sooner or later, in which case I'd prefer his Menu over a bunch of BAT files. :)  

Besides Quake 1 is getting GL soon!

Scan-C

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 03:25:00 PM »

this shouldn't be to hard to port. but don't think you can run any dos game out there. the protected mode of freedos is not complete and so a few games won't work such as some apps.
at least it wasn't completed the last time i used freedos. was 3 months ago.
but i would like to see this ported

betaluva

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »

ok,so where do you start?

XDelusion

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »

I've had really good luck with FreeDOS and compatability, there have been the exceptions, but over all I've been VERY content, infact I've got a partition devoted to XP and one devoted to FreeDOS and a Amithlon boot image inside that. :)

Anyhow, ya it does seem to be the user's choice with Boch and DOSBox so the compatability rate must be high.

Scan-C

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

sorry for bumping an old thread but i tried to get freedos running.
cromwell loaded the memdisk kernel and freedos image but as soon as the kernel tried to boot the box freezed. i'll get an up to date version of the memdisk kernel and see what i can do.

This post has been edited by Scan-C on Jul 31 2004, 09:45 PM

Swede_Hac

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

cool do your best snac-c......

Cheers

x-monkey

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 01:29:00 AM »

You will have to do a bit of coding to get this to work, there is some memory ranges that crashs the xbox that normal pc uses, and if it scans the pci bus it will crash too. And this is why you cant run you cant run any os you dont have the source to, win95,98,me,2000,xp....

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »

I would really like to see a full DOS port  to the xbox... the emulators are a little confusing to setup... and fill up that memory real quick... I would love to play some old dos games... i mean even red alert had a dos version that should run on the xbox...

Scan-C

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

i'm doing some coding. got the source for memdisk which loads the image of freedos. for now it does at least copy the image but then crashes. but i try my best.

betaluva

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »

any news scan-c,just wondering. :)

VampX

• Archived User
Why Not Freedos?
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 10:22:00 PM »

As said by Xport

FreeDOS - I looked at it a long time ago. It is not an MSDOS emulator or simulator. It is a free DOS (disk operating system) alternative that is somewhat compatible with MSDOS. If you're looking to play MSDOS games on it, you're mostly out of luck. It does not play much at all. DOSBox does a far better job in that department.

Just thought i'd mention this.