xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Instead Of Windows Embedded  (Read 262 times)

conrad10781

• Archived User
Instead Of Windows Embedded
« on: May 28, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »

I am not sure if something like BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) is considered Embedded, but never the less, I know with a little work you can almost put any program into it so it runs off of the CD/DVD.  Maybe you could install a game or app into the image and run it that way? Instead of trying to run a full windows OS and install and run off of the hard drive.  I know the windows CE idea doesn't have network support, not sure if you could use it, but BartPE has something in it for networking, not a total GUI, i think its just a GUI Wrap.

betaluva

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

do you how to write a new bios for the xbox? thats what it would take to get winpe to boot on the xbox, a few of the guys from barts pe forum have been working on this idea for the last six months.

Potato Bob

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

what makes makes the ms kernel work with the bios

you could always do it illegally lol  :D  now wouldnt it be much easier

but we wont

now is there anyway to emulate or make the kernel check somthing else for a pc bios?
Networkork booting? anyone

This post has been edited by Potato Bob on May 30 2004, 02:24 PM

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

i have recently discovered BartPE and have been salivating at the brain about this idea.
now is there anyway to emulate or make the kernel check somthing else for a pc bios?

what exactly do you mean by kernel?  i ask because the term is frequently applied to the xbox bios in this scene.  of course in the PC world, it is something completely different.  in the PC world, it is the core or nucleus of the OS.

i wouldn't think the xbox bios or getting BartPE to boot is a serious problem.  how do they get linux to boot?  how do they get WindowsCE to boot?

however, if the OS (BartPE in this case) reads from the (PC) bios AFTER boot, yes, i see big OBSTACLE, but then i wonder...how does WindowsCE run on xbox...???

...off to do some reading...

Drunkn_Munky

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »

thats why windows embedded would be so good. Because it doesn't check for the bios (well not according to the pinned topic at the top)

antiflag1980

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »

The xbox bios has a stripped down customized win2000 kernel built into it.  That is what runs the .xbes .
what exactly do you mean by kernel? i ask because the term is frequently applied to the xbox bios in this scene. of course in the PC world, it is something completely different. in the PC world, it is the core or nucleus of the OS.