xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ce Dev Dead?  (Read 404 times)

GameDTX

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« on: March 25, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »

Well its been forever since i last saw any movement with the ce project, and i'm wondering is it dead?  ;)  it wold be a shame if it was...  :(

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »

it sure seems dead....  :(

sortadan

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »

agreed.

mouchyn

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 03:04:00 AM »

sounds like we need to pull some programmers together and make a team of our own.

really, the only thing the CE team has done is make it boot. That means the only thing they have done is found a way to make windows "think" the xbox hardware is something it can run on.

I'm about as far from a programmer as anyone can get, but it doesn't seem like they did that much. The linux dev guys had to do the same thing, more or less...

I know once keyboard and mouse support is added to CE running on the xbox, the project would take off. Then everyone could contribute. Right now, we're kind of stuck because we can't do anything with it.

The only thing that drive the computer world in a forward direction is competition. We can either ask the CE team for the source code for what they have done so far...or we can make our own. Either way, it's a win-win situation. They'll either get off their asses to "compete" with us or, they'll hand over what they've done so far so we can continue.

What do you think? let's get some programmers together.

This post has been edited by mouchyn on Mar 26 2004, 11:07 AM

xbc9526

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »

im not exactly a programmer but i do know some bits and pieces of various languages...

i do however know how to mess around with a ce image file - stuff like adding programs and apps

id be happy to help... let me know

adambooth

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

First of all, the team shouldn't 'get off their asses'.  What they do is for themselves, not for you.  You have to understand most (if not all) of the xbox scene devs do what they do for a hobby.

Secondly, if anyone has some solid foundation in knowing what they're planning to do to get it running, gimme an email at [email protected], and I'll see what I can do.  Currently I'm trying to run the Windows XPe target analyzer on the xbox, and write a bootloader for it.

LEDHaywire

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

I think the whole thing was a "proof of concept" not to be taken seriously. Besides how much functionality could you really get from windows CE.

adambooth

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

Exactly.  Even Artifex and the team said that it was strictly a proof of concept, to fry the smaller fish before they got to the bigger ones.  Most likely CE is dead, but big deal.  It was cool to see it run, and now we know it CAN be done.  Not like you can do a whole lot with CE anyway.

SigTom

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

I know once keyboard and mouse support is added to CE running on the xbox, the project would take off.

I was able to use my mouse from the first release.

GameDTX

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (SigTom @ Mar 27 2004, 07:55 PM)
I know once keyboard and mouse support is added to CE running on the xbox, the project would take off.

I was able to use my mouse from the first release.

ya but no pointer, but defenatly some ppl here from x-s forums i bet could get this thing to take off, it is open source correct? well then someone d/l it and start looking over it and making it better/adding to it. Come on people this would be awesome if it will work...  :)

shinomen

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

Currently I'm trying to run the Windows XPe target analyzer on the xbox, and write a bootloader for it.

I think that once that is done it should be pretty easy to make a working configuration.  That is if the analyzer is able to recognize everything correctly.  

Good Luck man :)

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

I too would love keyboard/Mouse support... For me that would be the greatest  :beer:

GameDTX

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Mar 28 2004, 03:34 PM)
I too would love keyboard/Mouse support... For me that would be the greatest  :beer:

and a windows that displays good/saves settings/actually works good

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

adambooth

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

Thanks shinomen.  I think the Target Analyzer will get through everything else no problem, im just worried about the graphics card.

Potato Bob

• Archived User
Ce Dev Dead?
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

See the TA wont get you very far, But it is a great helper if I might add
I know hoe much the TA can do since I have experience in that area

But again we need to know more about the xboxes hardware
so we could make patches to the current drivers

and for a boot loader I was hoping for a modified Xromwell
since it basically is already done for us