xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Windows Ce.net 4.20 on the Microsoft Xbox  (Read 1516 times)

shinomen

• Archived User
Windows Ce.net 4.20 on the Microsoft Xbox
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 06:41:00 AM »

Since this is a windows CE platform I would imagine that you would have to find a game that says that it can work on the windows ce platform.  (for the games system requirements).  There may be a workaround for this of course.  (there seems to be a workaround for everything nowdays.)  

Great job guys.  Are you going to start a forum for open discussions on further development of this or is it going to be a pretty tight lipped project that you guys design?

alx5962

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 06:57:00 AM »

congratulation!
I was amazed to see the Windows desktop on my Xbox  :D
I really hope the next version will have keyboard support!

You guys rock !

antiflag1980

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (DarkDeity @ Dec 29 2003, 10:35 PM)
Syntax;Error... why would u put 7200 rpm in ur sig... the xbox mobo only allows 5400 rpm with 2 mb cache (yes i have a 7200 rpm 8mb cache too but i dont tell people :lol: )

If you're gonna flame people at least know what you are talking about.  The xbox allows both there is no limit 7200rpm means faster disk access and 8mb cache means less disk access because more will be cached.  What you are thinking of is that Xbox only has an ata100 ide controller origionally hooked up with and ata 66cable.  If you use an ata100 or ata133 drive with and 80pin cable your drive will operate at ata100 try it and install linux or just cromwell and look.  Maybe you should check facts before you make fun of peoples sigs.

antiflag1980

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

This is a great day for the xbox scene, the possibilities just shot through the roof.  I'm hoping focus support is one of the first priorities unlike the xbox-linux project which seems to have completely forgotten about 3dAccelleration and focus support(which they never seem to even mention).  I need to get my v1.0 mb back, I've had a v1.4 for about a month now and it's really starting to bother me now that I can't use linux on my xbox and now I'm not going to be able to use windows.

LiGhTfasT

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »

what can i say  :o

truly amazed to see this, bloody great work keep it up  :beer:  

mhillaby

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 08:23:00 AM »

I'd have to agree kudos to all the developers. I'd like to see some sort of controller driver or virtual keyboard cuz I dont have a usb mouse...yet. But this has many possbilties. GOOD WORK ALL!!! :beer:  

shinomen

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 08:24:00 AM »

The thought was right anyway.  The approach was wrong. (but that's ok)  I'm just happy the right peoples' attention was grabbed by this so that it can be worked on further.  I'm setting up windows xp embedded now to see how this can be manipulated more.  

If anyone else cares to try as well here are a few links to start with:

You can download an evaluation Windows XP Embedded Kit from here: (you need to register to get the product key)
http://www.MS.com/windows/Embedded/...ial/evalkit.asp

Step by Step guide to setting up windows xp embedded and creating an image to run on your computer.
http://www.MS.com/windows/Embedded/...ide/default.asp

Here's a tool that will let you open the nk.nb0 file (this file is in the Ce-Xbox zip file, and this tool is if you want to see what files the xbox image are actually running off of) (I didn't make it but props to the creator)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/dumprom.html

Frodo

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »

wince on my xbox, Truly amazing work
This really is a proof on concept and has proven to me its possible to run windowce and
as far as I can see windowsXP embedded should be do-able as well.

I plugged in a mouse and although i dont have a mouse cursor I can start all programs
by blindly clicking

one thing missing however is:
How did you guys do this? I would love to see the sourcecode & build process ;-)

I hope you too see more of this exciting stuff in 2004 and maybe
we all run windows xp embedded on your xboxes next year!

Frodo

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »

i've been looking for free irc and ftp client as well as a n un archiever for obvious reasons  ;)

all i've come up with is vxftp, the rest looks like it'll need to be compiled from open source projects  <_<  

CamaroGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »

I'm curious since the DC (DreamCast) runs on WindowsCE is it at all possible that they could develope a DC emu for it?  Maybe even port the DC version of WindowsCE to the xbox.  

d3fault_dot_xbe

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (CamaroGuy @ Dec 31 2003, 05:57 AM)
I'm curious since the DC (DreamCast) runs on WindowsCE is it at all possible that they could develope a DC emu for it?  Maybe even port the DC version of WindowsCE to the xbox.

/me looks over at Dreamcast to confirm...

yes, that is an interesting concept.... too bad i know nothing about programming....

......p.s. has anyone gotten it to work on PAL??? i don't think it does (but i don't care i have NTSC)

dr.no

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »

I've got a pal xbox and it works quite nicely.

MiL0

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »

I myself don't know much about programming but I was under the impression that WinCE on the dreamcast was very rarely used (if at all) for games. Programmers would write there games on the DC's native OS which wasn't WinCE.

Could be wrong though so don't flame  :D  

splat

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2003, 04:59:00 AM »

Just to clarify, but a USB mouse connected to an xbox controller (using the PSO adapter) *won't* work currently?  I tried it and didn't see a mouse pointer, so I assumed it wasn't working yet.

Thorvald

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »

Tried it on my Xecuter2 xbox today, unplug controller as soon as I push the button.

Screen goes black and the LED on the front flashes orange for a second and then starts flashing green.  Windows CE does not boot.  Stays at black screen.

I checked in evox.ini and all IGR are set to no (although there is one built into the bios as I remember).

Anyone else find anything that can trip this up so it won't boot?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4