xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: " Open Tray " Issus With Lite-on  (Read 225 times)

lebthug

• Archived User
" Open Tray " Issus With Lite-on
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »

I've been searching around on the web for "open tray" issues and found out this happens on other drives (Hitachi and sometimes Samsung), but it is different from the Lite-On issue I've been having.

In these other open tray issues, the drives have trouble reading some discs, or in major cases some backups, but no issues with originals. The explanation is generally that on backup discs, the inner track on the disc (close to the center) is further away than on original copies. The fix, known as the JayQue rubberband fix, is basically about inserting a piece of rubber to force the laserhead to start reading a little higher by tricking it regarding to how low it can travel on the rail.

I have seen videos of the problem and the fix on those other drives, and then I let my drive read a disc with the top off. I noticed that my drive behaves the same way if there is a disc inserted or not. Here are the details as to what happens:
1- On eject, the laser track assembly lowers to clear the way for the eject tray
2- The tray ejects, press button, the tray closes
3- the laser track assembly goes back in position
4- the laserhead moves in the same direction as when the tray is ejected and then in opposite direction to return to original position
5- the laser light goes on for about 1/4 of a sec than off
6- the laserhead moves in the same direction as when the tray is ejected, stays there a tiny bit longer than the 1st time, and then in opposite direction to return to original position
7- the disc "holder" spins for about 1/2 a sec then stops
8- the laser light goes on for about 1/4 of a sec than off

This basically is all that happens, whether there is a disc or not! Now what I find really strange is that the laser is ON only when the disc stops... I'm no expert on optical drives or anything but I am pretty sure the disc needs to be spinning for the laser to actually read data.

Now I have flashed this drive time and time again, and latest flash was with JungleFlasher and it actually verified the flash is correct by reading it after the write.
I have used the same key etc to flash my ms28 and it works perfect. I have properly prepared the firmware there is no doubt about it.

I also have a video of the description above where you can see the actual laser light on the disc and everything I have described. I can send it by email if anyone is interested, just gotta make the file smaller as my camera created a 45sec 50MB mpg file!!

I am just skeptical about it being because of a defective laser as I clearly see the disc stops spinning before the laser is triggered  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

I am also interested in seeing if other ppl with same issue have the same drive behavior.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

pricemeista33

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(pricemeista33 @ Feb 7 2009, 04:07 AM) *

I just sent it off to VGC Repairs to see if they could fix the problem for me instead. I tried everything and it failed to clear up the problem. The open tray problem just did not seem to want to go away for me. I sent them the original console with a Sammy MS25 to replace it as I had problems flashing that drive as well. Jungle Flasher kept telling me that I had bad serial information even after using the Giampy Dummy Bin Fixer also. I worst comes to worst, I'll just have to get that infectus programmer and install a Cygnos for an exploitable kernel to work with that drive and mobo.

Sorry took so long but the drive I had was fragged as I took a look at its burn marks on the PCB. The guy who owned the console tried to flash and ended up plugging the power to the console mobo and the other end to his extractor OUCH! Yep he fried the drive and didn't know it so we just replaced it with another Lite-On.

counteru

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

I got this same error today. My box is only 3 months old and it has been used perhaps 10 times no more than 30 minutes a session. It worked flawlessly.... for 3 months using ixtreme 1.51! I upgraded to 1.6 and 3 days later i get the open tray error. I get this error even tho when using it just yesterday it worked flawlessly! Anyone thinking its possible problem with 1.6! What firms is everyone else using when this happen? I find it kinda hard to believe my laser died with it being so friggin new.

counteru

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(counteru @ Jun 11 2009, 01:03 PM) *

I got this same error today. My box is only 3 months old and it has been used perhaps 10 times no more than 30 minutes a session. It worked flawlessly.... for 3 months using ixtreme 1.51! I upgraded to 1.6 and 3 days later i get the open tray error. I get this error even tho when using it just yesterday it worked flawlessly! Anyone thinking its possible problem with 1.6! What firms is everyone else using when this happen? I find it kinda hard to believe my laser died with it being so friggin new.

ok, maybe its not the firm itself... seems i was able to fix my issue by simply pushing the laser forward a little then starting the xbox up and it started reading the disk. Seems the issue with the laser moving to far back might be a cause. Anyone else tested that?

bonedryfags

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

i have recently had this happen to two liteon drives and i have flash many liteons before, same issuse as people stated, open tray after two laser read attempts. drives worked before using jungleflasher 1.6+ to do a virgin flash. flawless flash return in jf. open tray error with 1.6fw on the drive.

using a ck3.

this should be a pinned topic! as it seems to be a costly common problem.

and a quick side note i was told the laser model for both versions of Liteon drives is part# HOP-141XX, but a HOP-141X Benq laser will work in Liteon drives?? can anyone reconfirm that or know what the differences are if any??

bonedryfags

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »

i forgot to say, i originally just grabbed the dvdkey off one of the liteons with a ck3 at first and later tried to use the xbox and it came back as open tray error, without even flashing the drive, still stock, tried to see if flashing it with 1.6 would fix it and it still errors out...

ruffnut

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2020, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(bonedryfags @ Nov 4 2009, 10:41 PM) *

and a quick side note i was told the laser model for both versions of Liteon drives is part# HOP-141XX, but a HOP-141X Benq laser will work in Liteon drives?? can anyone reconfirm that or know what the differences are if any??

Yes the HOP-141XX works in the liteon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]