xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Battle For Wesnoth  (Read 263 times)

tbone937

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

Ok, I'm not a coder. But a few points:

1. It's the most downloaded turnbased strategy game on sourceforge.

2. Source is available http://www.wesnoth.org/.

3. It's hard to find a good turn based stragegy game anywhere, let alone on xbox (or any console).  The only one's I've ever stumbled upon were the Shining Force series (Genesis) and Tactics (PS1).  I probably missed out on some but they are still few and far between.

4. It's GOOD and different as far as the gameplay goes.

Anyone tell me if/when/why/why not/how this idea is for a port?

Like I said, I'm not a coder.

Thanks for your time.
D

tbone937

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »

I feel like there's gotta be a reason this isn't ported yet.  Just checked and I think the controls could be mapped kinda easily.

And i keep seeing mention of it all over the "reqest" kind of posts.

Anyone say why this is or is not a good idea? technically? logistically?

D

Potman

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »

it can be ported (im no coder either, but it should be able to be ported). i'd love to have this for xbox, it'd be an awesome addition to the xbox scene, especially since there's no turn based stragety port, and there's no commerical turned based strategy xbox game (well there's afew commerical games, but nothing like battle for wesnoth), this'd be the first. i doubt any coder here's interested tho, too bad.
i even requested it to be ported to xbox in battle for wesnoth's forum, but nobody there cared.

tbone937

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »

sux big time

I can't help but think there has to be a technical reason... cuz wesnoth seems to be pretty damn popular.

anyone comment on the tech side of it even if they dont have the time/motivation to port it?

D

zaboo

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

If I code port, I would port this right away. I really wanna learn C++ cause I'm going to University for Programing and I'd like to get a head start. My dad is a programer for a local company, but I doubt he would help or think about porting... he's busy enough and he likes sports games on the xbox instead.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Could probably be done relatively easy.
If you really wanna play it on xbox though, why dont you go down the linux route. (DSL maybe?)

tbone937

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

Ya, know, thats a good excuse for me to finally get around to doing that.  Have been scared and uniformed of Linux up to this point.  What type of linux install would be best for this purpose?  (I'm a linux noob big time, espicially a xbox linux noob).

Responses appreciated.
D

Scoobysnaxx

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

tbone937

would you put this game on par with the advance wars series? That's one of my favorite all time strategy series [barring the stupid AI]

Going to have to check this one out for sure. Thanks for the link.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

I'd try out Damn Small Linux on a loopback install if you can (that way it launches from your xbox like any other prog)

I havent tried installing wesnoth, but might get around to it in the next few weeks to see how it goes.

DagsJT

• Archived User
Battle For Wesnoth
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 03:06:00 AM »

Haven't played the game but it does sound interesting and would be a welcome addition to the XBox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)