xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "this Disk Is Unreadable, Clean And Restart" Msg  (Read 113 times)

fil0

• Archived User
"this Disk Is Unreadable, Clean And Restart" Msg
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »

Hello all,

I have never asked anything in the forums, as most stuff is in here already, you just have to find it. But this time I'm all out of ideas.

I just got a new xbox 360 and flashed the drive (47DJ) without problems. I tried an original game (guitar hero 2) and then the same game's backup (ixtreme 1.4) and it loaded fine, with a healthy rotating noise. Then I picked my backup for "bully" to play a bit and it loaded perfectly, just to ask me to install a patch. I did and now it does not load a single backup. It starts reading and slows down, accelerates, does horrible noises and lastly it displays the "this disk is unreadable, clean it and restart the xbox" message (the one that pops out from the right side of the TV). The originals play fine, but not even the first backup I  succesfuly used (guitar hero) will load. Every single one will make those terrible scratching noises and accelerate and decelerate with the same result.

I bought this console because my old 360 died on me. I believe I broke it's motherboard when I was doing the x clamp replacement, but I'm not sure. The thing played backups and originals without problems for several weeks after the x clamp replacement until it gave me the "open tray" error. But not the one that tries reading for a while and then gives the "open tray" message (I already had that one and fixed it with the little plastic piece mod, I also tweaked the laser power by that time), this time it would not even try to spin the disk and the "open tray" message would appear almost instantly upon insertion, both with backups and originals. I tried buying a new drive and doing the dvd-rom mobo swap, same problem. Then flashing the new drive (taking the original dvd-rom key in account), and same problem, so I concluded that the problem was the xbox's motherboard, and bought a new 360.

Sooo, having 3 working drives I thought... Why not try the older dvd-rom (the laser-tweaked and "open tray" fixed one) with the mobo from the new xbox's dvd-rom? Same problem, it will read originals but not backups, with the same horrible noises, same accelerations and decelerations, and lastly the same "this disk is unreadable, clean and restart" message.

I can only think that the patch that "bully" made me install has done something to the xbox, but I have found no information about this issue. Please help me, I have run out of ideas.

Thx!!