xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Real Time Strategy (rts) Game With System Link?  (Read 210 times)

Ed_209

• Archived User
Real Time Strategy (rts) Game With System Link?
« on: September 03, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

Has anyone else out there noticed that there is not ONE good Real Time Strategy style game out for the xbox, let alone that supports system link play?  The only one I could dig up was Aliens vs Predator for xbox, but that doesn't really let you build bases, and you can't fight others via system link.

Has anyone out there ever considered working on a port or making something from scratch (homebrew)? My ideas of good RTS games are Starcraft, Warcraft 2 or 3, and lets not forget the Command and Conquer series. I have 2 playstation consoles and I used to play Command and Conquer Red Alert thru system link on that all of the time (sucks that the link cable is 6 feet long though), but I was hoping that the playstation emulator on xbox could emulate system link but unfortunately it doesn't.

I just think it's weird that this genre has been completely ignored after all of this time and I think it would be a huge contribution to the scene if someone could fill the missing gap for all of us RTS fans...unless of course I am the only one left.
 :unsure:

whocares123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

Your not the only one left.  RTS games kick ass.  I really hope someone ports a game like starcraft to xbox(with system link support) someday.

helious

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:03:00 AM »

Well. It is possible in NO TIME! Search for  FreeCNC  on Google..
It is the first C&C, completley remade, and 100% open source..

I REALLY dont understand there Porting people..
Why dont port the games that dont take more than a day or two to port?

and RTS games is just ad good on Console, as on pc.. If not better (NOTHING can compare to lay in your bed with a controller, playing Command & Conquer)

Sirmatto

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »

In addition to FreeCNC, there is (was) also FreeCraft, an open source alternative to Warcraft, but it got shutdown by Blizzard.  There's also an engine called Stratagus, which has quite a bit of offshoots listed on this page: http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/games.shtml.  There is also FreeCiv, which is similar to Civilization.

None of these (outside of FreeCNC, which is a different story) seem very indepth as far as graphics or stories, but any of them would be a welcome addition to my Xbox if ported.

This post has been edited by Sirmatto: Sep 4 2005, 05:59 PM

SHiZNO

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »

FreeCNC is incomplete

Ed_209

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

wow! FreeCNC looks great! This would be HUGE if this got ported to xbox! What is "incomplete" about it SHIZNO? The team behind it still working on it or something?

(IMG:http://holarse.wue.de/freecnc/screenshots/ra15.jpg)

Ed_209

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sirmatto @ Sep 4 2005, 06:52 PM)
In addition to FreeCNC, there is (was) also FreeCraft, an open source alternative to Warcraft, but it got shutdown by Blizzard.  There's also an engine called Stratagus, which has quite a bit of offshoots listed on this page: http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/games.shtml.  There is also FreeCiv, which is similar to Civilization.

None of these (outside of FreeCNC, which is a different story) seem very indepth as far as graphics or stories, but any of them would be a welcome addition to my Xbox if ported.

Just looked at the Stratagus site and that has some cool projects. Noticed the Warcraft 2 version titled "Wargus" which looks great: http://wargus.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

The wargus version apparently needs to use the graphics/sound files from the orginal warcraft 2 cd to work, but this one is completely finished and has the source code available. Since FreeCNC is still in the works apparently, porting the stratagus engine would be the next best thing. And since you can import different textures etc, people could make their own RTS mods possibly! That would be cool if we made an unofficial Halo RTS game!

Sirmatto

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ed_209 @ Sep 4 2005, 11:29 AM)
wow! FreeCNC looks great! This would be HUGE if this got ported to xbox! What is "incomplete" about it SHIZNO? The team behind it still working on it or something?

Support for the original Command and Conquer is pretty much complete.  Red Alert support is in the recent CVS, but it's branched off of Tiberian Dawn support, so is a bit buggy.  The main incompleteness part is that there is no AI whatsoever.  This would render any game unplayable, since multiplayer is hard to do.

Juganawt

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

The Best RTS of all time is already perfectly playable on xbox.

All you gotta do is grab Xport's PCSXbox, an iso of Warzone 2100, transfer it to xbox, and play.
You can system link it too, it's emulated perfectly, and it's the best RTS game I've ever played.

Ed_209

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Juganawt @ Sep 5 2005, 09:28 AM)
The Best RTS of all time is already perfectly playable on xbox.

All you gotta do is grab Xport's PCSXbox, an iso of Warzone 2100, transfer it to xbox, and play.
You can system link it too, it's emulated perfectly, and it's the best RTS game I've ever played.

I have tested out system link on pcsxbox using Command and Conquer Red Alert Retaliation -ntsc usa version on the latest build of pcsxbox and the system link option is "highlighted" but when you try to connect to another xbox with the same exact setup it doesn't work. I talked to xport (the author of pcsxbox) and he said that pcsxbox in no way supports system link.

So are you saying that Warzone 2100 somehow magically works with system link? Have you actually played it successfully over system link or did you overhear this from somewhere else? Just sounds a bit fishy to me. My goal here was to have a good RTS game that supports system link play. I don't care about single player modes.

Juganawt

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ed_209 @ Sep 5 2005, 03:23 PM)
I have tested out system link on pcsxbox using Command and Conquer Red Alert Retaliation -ntsc usa version on the latest build of pcsxbox and the system link option is "highlighted" but when you try to connect to another xbox with the same exact setup it doesn't work. I talked to xport (the author of pcsxbox) and he said that pcsxbox in no way supports system link.

Ah ok, my bad... I never tried it personally, I just saw the option there and knew the game supported it, put 2 and 2 together, and obviously came up with 5.

soz about that.

In that case, apart from setting up win95 and running games from there, i dunno what rts games are linkable.