xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Avpx Gold  (Read 242 times)

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

Ok everyone, sorry for the sudden disapearence lately.  I can't get online whenever I want so that is part of the reason :( .  Anyway, I just wanted to let all that care know that this port is coming along nicely.  So far I have managed to solve some of the known problems last week.  I have solved the C/C++ problem.  The XDK kinda forces you to use C++ (which is VERY BAD) and AvP was written mostly in C.  So instead of using something like this:

CODE
lpD3DDevice->AddRef();

Now I have to do this:
CODE
IDirect3DDevice8_AddRef(lpD3DDevice);

because the XDK won't let you do this:
CODE
lpD3DDevice->lpVtbl->AddRef(lpD3DDevice);

Beleive it or not, this was a big problem for C programmers like my self.  C is MUCH better for writing games although C complains alot more than C++.  I'm glad M$ kept compatibility alive.  It took me a while to fix this simple problem.

About the DirectSound issues, using DirectSound on an Xbox is very different from a PC, and certain DirectSound3D calls using certain flags that will work for a PC will fail miserably on an Xbox.  I can't remember exactly what to look for, but it is in the XDK help file.  It's a good thing I discovered that or else this port may be without sound :(

It turns out that this game is NOT written completely in DirectDraw6.  It also has Direct3D6 in it as well.  (A while back I said it was a DirectDraw7 game by mistake).  I went though all the DirectDraw specific code and most of it I can comment out.  As for the Direct3D6 stuff, I'm working on it.

And as for the bink videos, I think I can keep them in the game, but It's no garuntee. :(  I don't have all the time in the world to work on this like I wan't but I'll devote as much time as possible to this particular project.

And I would also like to say thanks for all who helped an cheered me on with this.  Your support gives me the strength to carry on.  In the mean time, I'll look for some DirectX6 tutorials so I can have better knowledge of both, because I'm strictly a DirectX8 person.  Happy new year :beer:

EDIT: Help never arrives too late  ;)

This post has been edited by blueshogun96: Dec 30 2004, 08:33 PM

Mr.INSANE

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

thats great now if you hae gotten the game to get to the menu that would be awesome it would also be nice if it was dirctly connected to the avp servers if there still online to play it also sincen theis alot ofbuttons i belive a sort of shift key would be used just like for hl on the dreamcast you pull a trigger down and get man diferent combinations of
buttons

edit changed shit to shift lol

This post has been edited by Mr.INSANE: Dec 30 2004, 09:15 PM

Keshire

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 03:55:00 AM »

Coulda swore you could change the bink to some other format with the free radtools.

bik->wmv->xmv Whatever is easiest to add/change.

Brouhaha

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Keshire @ Jan 1 2005, 08:20 AM)
Coulda swore you could change the bink to some other format with the free radtools.

bik->wmv->xmv Whatever is easiest to add/change.

Best approach indeed... complicates the distribution afterwards though.

I would be willing to help along with another experienced coder as of february.

Clockface

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »

I just want to say how pleased I am (and no doubt many other people will be too) to see that this project is continuing. AvP is a superb game, and is still better than many XBox FPS games. I'll be following the progress with interest :)

Thanks to everyone involved, and happy new year!  :beer:

BerserkWarwolf

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

dude, you rule... seriously.

AvP will rock the scene, you don't realize how much we appreciate your work on this outstanding game !

thx blue!!!
keep up the good work !

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »

Anyone got any DirectSound tips for me?  They could get in handy because DirectSound is a very frusterating thing on the xbox, (especially with DirectSound3D)  :D

zimmy

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 04:39:00 AM »

I cant wait for this thing to be released!!!! its gona be one of the best ports out there!  :lol:

XDelusion

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »

blueshogun96: Thankx for putting your time and effort into this. It has to be a pain in the ass. I'm glad you feel that it is worth the while.

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Jan 18 2005, 10:35 AM)
blueshogun96: Thankx for putting your time and effort into this. It has to be a pain in the ass. I'm glad you feel that it is worth the while.

I wouldn't say "pain in the ass", I'd rather call it a challenge.  I swear, I'm having so0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o much fun with this. :beer: But getting it to work properly will be a pain.  Not getting it done itself will be a pain in the nuts if you ask me.

zimmy

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »

w00t! this game will be soooooooo sweet when you finish your port, i loved it on my PC but being able to play it sitting back, chilling out on my xbox!! now that i will really love; so its damn good to hear your enjoying the challange! keep it up dude, we're all behind you!

sooooooooooooooooo sweet!!!!!!!! :D

nickus

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »

i would say something l33t but i cant spell it :D
GW blue!

snes

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

any news??

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(snes @ Feb 16 2005, 07:36 PM)
any news??

Sorry it's been so long since I said anything but I have been battling life's little hassles so I couldn't get online as much as I wanted to.  Lost a $500 per week job opportunity ans so forth. :(  But at least my cousin got it (the one who told me about the job), so I have to search for a job elsewhere because without cash, I can't finish this.

Yeah, infact I do have a little news.  I think I finally resolved the DirectDraw problem (that is a more efficient way), bink video problem solved, finally figured out what that dialog.dll does (a directplay helper dll), but I hate to say it but the DirectSound3D problem still remains.  There are some code files that I don't know what they do yet, but I'm not to worried about them now.

GPX

• Archived User
Avpx Gold
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »

How can you say c++ is bad for games ? OOP is a the best way to design games ..