xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strife!  (Read 179 times)

XDelusion

• Archived User
Strife!
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »

If you goto NewDOOM.com or DOOMWorld.com you'll see that ZDOOM 2.0.91 has recently released. It is not a port I use often, but I know it is packed for of some interesting and powerful features, including sloped floors, and advanced scripting languages among other things. Looks GREAT in software mode, keeps original DOOM aspect ratio.

Anhow, it has been compatable with DOOM, Heretic, and Hexen for a long while, but now it finally supports Strife 100%. Definatly something worth checking into! Not only would it be a powerful, yet simple and easy construction kit for aspiring 3D mappingers and game designers, but also a way to tap into Strife despite the fact we do not have the sources to it. Also we'd get all the ZDOOM MODs for DOOM, Heretic, Hexen, and an ass load of amazing features.

It's times like this I really wish I knew how to code. This would be like the SCUMMVM or Sarien of retro FPS', with Dev kit to boot! :)

This post has been edited by XDelusion on Oct 23 2004, 11:35 AM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 05:14:00 AM »

Check out these screen shots!

Rex's: Dawn: A Prelude (this guy inspired and helped me get started 4 years ago, when I started DOOM editing) Great stuff!

http://doomnexus.******.***/oldstuff.html

Replace ****'s with (50megs) DOT (com). Freaking post is screwing up the adress. :/

The WAD that will make you goto skool and kill your fellow students, the cursed and infamous...

Eris Harris (Colorado School Shooting) WAD. It sux, but yes here it is:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/uaclabs.zip

This post has been edited by XDelusion on Oct 23 2004, 05:12 PM

Thraxen

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

I loved the Heretic and Hexen games.  It would indeed be nice to have those on the XBox.

pancakelizard

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (XDelusion @ Oct 23 2004, 05:14 AM)
Eris Harris (Colorado School Shooting) WAD. It sux, but yes here it is:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/uaclabs.zip

i've had that map forever and basically all the other ones he had made
i used to play doom against him

XDelusion

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »

U got more of his WAD files? I'd like to get a hold of them.

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (Thraxen @ Oct 23 2004, 04:47 PM)
I loved the Heretic and Hexen games.  It would indeed be nice to have those on the XBox.

You may not have noticed but I am porting Hexen to Xbox.  I told deathx88 he could do Heretic if he wants because I'm leaving that one alone.

EDIT:  It's not too late to learn to code.  Learn C/C++ and directx8 and you are all set.  Go to www.gametutorials.com that's where I got started B)  

This post has been edited by blueshogun96 on Oct 26 2004, 05:47 PM

Thraxen

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

You may not have noticed but I am porting Hexen to Xbox. I told deathx88 he could do Heretic if he wants because I'm leaving that one alone.

Cool.  But why not port ZDoom?  I've never used it before, but it plays Hexen and Heretic in addition to Doom, correct?  And it appears to be open source.  Seems like that would a better project than simply porting Hexen alone.  Is there some sort of technically difficulty with porting ZDoom?  Either way, I'll be looking forward to your port of Hexen.  How far along is your port?

This post has been edited by Thraxen on Oct 26 2004, 07:25 PM

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Thraxen @ Oct 26 2004, 07:25 PM)

Cool.  But why not port ZDoom?  I've never used it before, but it plays Hexen and Heretic in addition to Doom, correct?  And it appears to be open source.  Seems like that would a better project than simply porting Hexen alone.  Is there some sort of technically difficulty with porting ZDoom?  Either way, I'll be looking forward to your port of Hexen.  How far along is your port?

I have never looked at ZDOOM.  I'll have a look.  If it's DirectX8 based I'll try it.  So far I am at early stages.  I'm trying to study the src and get a better understanding of whats going on.

deathx88

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

Strife!?
What the freddy fucker is that  :blink:

if this is a game i've never heard of it before, but im assuming its an old school fps game
and can anyone post a link to some shareware of that game so i can try it out  :ph34r:

:beer:

mrinsane

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »

well zdoom and doomsday are both good engines doomsday looks far better than zdoom adn zdoom has lots of ohter nice things like 32 players in the net where as doomsday only has two also zdoom has two player split screen i bleive it also has ctf modes this would be a f***** great game for lan even though i prfer doomsday i think a port of zdoom would be better becasue  if it two player coop and two player deathmatch plus doomsday has high specs also
anways this is just my 2 cents

XDelusion

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »

Blue Shogun: It is AWSOME to hear that you are working on a Heretic port...

...I hope it will someday support external script and WAD level loading...

...but either way, glad to hear this game is getting ported, I've been playing the HELL out of DOOMX, and I know Hexen will be just as addictive.

DeathX88: You can grab Strife (one of the best FPS RPG's EVER) here:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1075

Then go grab the latest ZDOOM EXE (currently 2.0.9.1) here:

http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars/91.cab

Drop both the Strife wads in its directory, and load up. You may need to drag both wads on top of the ZDOOM exe to get them to work right, or you can simply merge them in WinTex to be sure. :)

-----------------

As for ZDOOM VS DOOMsDay...

...currently DOOMsDay is not good at anything besides being an UTTER resource hog, and providing AWSOME eye candy.

ZDOOM on the other hand is like an awsome old skool meets new skool FPS editing enviroment. I prefer Legacy to it, but Legacy is in a transitional state form C to C++ with many features on the way...

...so it is a ways off to be expecting a port of it. On the other hand ZDOOM is here, ready, resource friendly, and VERY expandable, totally worth a port if possible.

I am familiar with Legacy's Fraggle Script and have been taking an interest in coding in C and or C++, I'll have a look at that Game Tutorials page. Thankx for the link Shogun.

deathx88

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 03:00:00 AM »

thanks xdelusion  :beer:

as for zdoom vs. doomsday

i think that doomsday is more user friendly, more options for you to customize and all that good stuff, i also perfer to play all of the original levels of doom, doom 2, heretic, and hexen on doomsday because it looks better

but as for zdoom, this is the shit for the things you can do with it,
i just got done playing a demo level of sonic doom, and damn he did a hell of a job
i also played some of team tnt's levels that are also friggen awesome

but cheers to both of those anyway  :beer:

I told deathx88 he could do Heretic if he wants because I'm leaving that one alone.

by the looks at things on how my life is going, i don't think i'll get around to doing this any time soon. So go ahead and do this if you want, its out of my league  :P

its getting the hang of learning that xdk shit, i really don't understand that
and i don't even have anything like visual studio or xdk so im out of luck there  :(
so maybe when i finally get that crap i can actually start working on something
 :popcorn:

XDelusion

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 02:47:00 AM »

deathx88

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (XDelusion @ Nov 7 2004, 10:47 AM)
Check it!

http://www.duellist.net/

:lol: romero death skittles
thats great  :jester:

zero5

• Archived User
Strife!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »

strife - that's a class game, used to play it back in the day (dos day's). Mad twist and turns.