xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Quake 2x Or Quake 2x Lantus Edition  (Read 415 times)

incognegro

• Archived User
Quake 2x Or Quake 2x Lantus Edition
« on: October 10, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

I got both Versions and personally I like repi's better but I havent played the other that much, so im curious what other ppl think.

This post has been edited by incognegro: Oct 10 2004, 10:09 PM

mister_freeze

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »

Lantus, as talented as he is really brought nothing to the table with his port of Quake2.  It was said that it runs mods but that is pretty much not the case.  As the most important mod in Quake2 doesn't run on it.  CTF.  Both versions will play any mod out there so long as they are not the ones hosting it.  In the end, LE doesn't look as good, doesn't handle as good and it's front end loader is a total waste of time.  Hell, I took his frontend Q2 loader and had it pointing to Repi's Q2 lol.

Problem is I just don't think these ports use the game dll in the baseq2 folder or something.  Or they hardcoded it to only use that.   If Lantex really wants to come ahead on Q2 then he should be working with the CTF source for Q2 that ID also released.  

My 2 cents as humble as they are.  I don't mean to poke at you Lantus.  Lord knows I have no skills at doing this.  I do think you wasted your time in your Q2 port though since you never took it beyond Repi's version.

This post has been edited by mister_freeze: Oct 11 2004, 05:35 PM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »

I agree, its not that good a port. Thats why I havent played it much. Hey How did you get the front end loader on the repi version? :blink:

Newflesh

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »

I was wondering how you did that as well or send me a copy of the front end please.

mister_freeze

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

i just renamed the repi quake2 xbe to the one that lantus xbe was called and bingo..

default.xbe = lantus frontend loader
quake2x.xbe = lantus quake2

retail_quake2.xbe = or whatever repi is called.  rename it to the lantus quake2 xbe

backup the lantus quake2 so u dont lose it if u plan to keep it.

flux2k

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (mister_freeze @ Oct 11 2004, 06:06 PM)
My 2 cents as humble as they are.  I don't mean to poke at you Lantus.  Lord knows I have no skills at doing this.  I do think you wasted your time in your Q2 port though since you never took it beyond Repi's version.

If he learned something from doing this port then it wasn't a waste of time. If anything, he's a better programmer now. I mean, how can you not learn something by working with John Carmack's code?  :D  If he becomes even more proficient in coding, he can improve his sdl libs even more. And with more devs using the sdl libs that he produces, it benefits everyone.

ZASADAR

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

did you guys read lantus forum he said hes working on a directx port of q1 and q2
should proly cheer him on at his forum =P

nagmine

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

where on his forums did u get that info? i havent seen him post anything in like 2 months ....

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »

Ya Lantus was working on a GL Wrapper for Quake 1, and was not far from being done, last I talked to him, but that was months ago. I think he is on vacation from coding or something...

...who knows maybe he got a job offer?

Anyhow, if you play Repi's port long enough, it wills screw up, crash and what not, left and right. Some people played it from beginning to end with hardly any hassel, then there is the rest of us whose save files got corrupted, or the game woudl screw up when we loaded our last saves, etc. In my case I only had a few levels left and got screwed over by the unfinished code.

So thankx to Lantus, I was able to finally beat the game. And thankx to his Menu Loader, I was able to play many expansion packs without having to have multiple copies on Repi's Quake 2 on my XBOX, each one modified with the files from the MOD pack.

This may be in software mode, but other than that, I can't bitch at all.

Wonder if he still plans on working on DOOM Legacy?

nagmine

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 01:06:00 AM »

yeah i agree lantus quake x2 le may not have the graphics but atleast the game plays. Mine always would freeze durring a part of the game.. but in lantuses port it dosnt.

will be cool to see some more ports from the man  :beer:

sniperboss

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 04:10:00 AM »

Could You Please Give Me A LInk

GEt Up So I Can Kill You Again

SNICK!

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »

both got their good points.
repis has better graphics
but lantus's is more stable.

cheerz

mister_freeze

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »

the biggest bummer for me was that neither one could host a modded game like CTF.  they could play one a CTF hosted by computer.  they both could use lantus front end loader.  i only had the one copy of repi on my xbox and could load lots of mods.  

just could never host the changes  :(

ZASADAR

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

But you can host  dedicated server on your pc why would you want to host on your xbox it would be slow =P

AndyJapan

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 01:27:00 AM »

Installed Quake2X LE first and agree that the graphics could be better.
Downloaded Repi`s version today, installed it and messed the video settings/resolution settings. When I start up Q2XRepi now I hear the game sound, but have a black screen. Deleted the game folder and re-installed (FTPed all the files to XBox HD), but I still get a black screen. Any ideas which file I would have to delete? Probably something in the TDATA folder on drive E:? Any help would be appreciated.