xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Possible Ports?  (Read 176 times)

cataphoresis

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« on: September 03, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

I'm not going to pretend I know how to code, but I would love to see ports of freecraft [an open-source Warcraft 2 of sorts] or hexen ii, or descent. I loved all these old games, and with the phenomenal work that xbox coders have done, I've been able to play some of my old favorites (Quake 1+2, Duke3D, the Doom games, ROTT) on my xbox - and I love it.

Freecraft got a C&D letter from Blizzard a few years back, but the source is still available online in a few places, including here: http://home.earthlink.net/~pappy86312/downloads/download.htm

newhexen is a source port of Hexen II, although there are other ports like jHexen2. Apparently even the latest version of QuakeWorld has Hexen 2 support. Hexen2's source is freely available and can be downloaded here: http://www.liberatedgames.com/game.php?game_id=38
[and hey, while I'm making lots of suggestions, might as well throw in that I'd love Heretic/Hexen support from the already incredible DoomX...]

Since practically every other iD game has been ported [spare the Heretic/Hexen series of 4 games] I personally know I'd love to see Wolfenstein 3D ported to the xbox. Sources are available, but I know from wading through them myself that they're pretty convoluted - so it'd take a brave soul [or a skilled coder] to port it over. Source available here for Wolf3D: http://www.liberatedgames.com/game.php?game_id=17

The two Descent games were a lot of fun, but probally overlooked by most people. An excellent port, d2x, was done by icculus - who has the source code freely available on his website. I know I'd personally love to see it ported:
http://www.icculus.org/d2x/

Now, I know a n00b like me has no grounds to demand or request certain ports - coders only have so much free time, and their time is precisely that - their time. I'm only making requests, putting some ideas out there for possible ports. I'm not demanding anything, or harping on anybody to do it. But I would love to see any of these great games ported to the Xbox, and I'd be eternally grateful to whomever could do it.

But lots of thanks to those of you coders out there working in your spare time to create such amazing software for the Xbox - you guys [and gals] are incredible, and you've made the Xbox one hell of a gaming platform. Keep up the great work you porters, app designers, emulation experts, and all you other uber-geeks.

deathx88

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

well, right now im learning all this fun stuff, give it a while before i actually start any thing, im probably going to start off with some simple sdl ports but as one of my first big projects i wanted to port blake stone, but i can't find the source for that game so i don't know about that one

i probably would have had a game ported by now but ive been busy doing other things

but hell maybe lantus of freakdave or someone will port one of these fabulous games *hint hint*  :D
l

madmab

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

I would love to see descent 1 and 2.... Great games, very addicting.

Thing is I have yet to see anyone try to tackle it on any system, or if they did they never got anywhere.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »

descent 2 is the best bet as it had d3d code in it.

madmab

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

Not that I know much about the source code, or the data format.  But would it be possible to use the descent 1 data in descent 2?

I dont remember there being much difference between the two as far as ingame features.

Then again it's been years since I played em.

Cathesdus

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

No the games are more than likely compiled differently and even if you could use some code, what about the rest that you couldn't use?

BTW, death, I would love to see you port over Blake Stone because I just can't get it to run right in Dosbox.  Would be a pretty good project for a beginner anyways i'd imagine.

madmab

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 09:31:00 PM »

I'm not referring to the code, but the data.  As in the level data.

It is perfectly possible they share some similarities.

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »

For those of you who still don't know, I'm setting xMule aside and working on JHexen now.  One of these days, I will port wolfenstien Beyond the castle.  <- This is old.

deathx88

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »

jhexen is good, but it sucks

i know its not my game because i runs fine without the port

but heres the problems i've had with jhexen

-when i beat the seven portals (level 2) its supposed to display text
instead i get (text not found)  :grr:

- in the next level theres a portal, and when i go into it the game exits  :grr:

does this happen for you, this is pissing me off
i want to play this game, but i can't stand playing this game regularly, and i need the good open gl graphics too  :P

blueshogun96

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

Actually, everytime I play Hexen, I nausea.

magnum 1024k

• Archived User
Some Possible Ports?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 12:10:00 AM »

All the ports released are a gift from these great coding gods at the scene here and I thank them dearly for it. I personally want to see a port of Shadow Warrior. I think it is better than duke 3d (almost like a mixture of leasuresuit larry's humor and duke's gameplay and humor.) but thats probably because I'm a huge fan of anime and manga. So if any of the wonderful coders around here can find the time in there busy days, it would be extremely awesome.