xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stepmaniax Song Loading Problem  (Read 180 times)

UWerOwNED

• Archived User
Stepmaniax Song Loading Problem
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »

Stepmaniax works fine on my xbox until I pick a song and it says 1st stage and then it just goes back to the dash.  It shows the songs and their banners and the preview music fine it just doesn't load the song and it goes back to the dash.  Why doesn't it work?  I have the PC version and it works fine with the same songs, themes, etc.

ja5983

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »

you are missing some files...same thing happened to  me...btw...do you know where to get some good smfiles..besides  bemani.com and ddruk

UWerOwNED

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:28:00 AM »

do you know what files?  and the stepmania site has links to lots of different downloads

huskerfan711

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »

how do u put stepmania on your xbox. I have a ps2 and a metal dance pad and that is DDR is the only reason i keep my ps2. If i could do this i could have some extra cash. Btw, i have stepmania on my computer and it works fine. Do i just ftp everything over to the xbox? Please help me, im a noob!

tvStatic

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »

The StepManiaX zip should have all the files you need.

Did you put any themes, announcers, dancers, etc. on?
These may be incompatible with the version of StepManiaX.
If you have, wipe it from your HDD and recopy the proggie over. Add the song files only and try that. The only other thing I've added to my installation is an announcer.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

huskerfan: you need the StepManiaX port written by XPort. It is not available here.

UWerOwNED

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »

If you have your xbox modded for FTP transfer just go to "the usual place" (xbins) and get stepmaniax as it is the xbox version and then just put whatever addons you have for your PC version in the same places as the xbox versions.  The songs and themes and other stuff will work like normal only on your xbox.  I also am a big DDR fan and I want all those good arcade songs that konami of america won't give us on the console versions.

And yea I did add a bunch of themes and stuff so I'll just get rid of them and do just songs.  Thanks.

This post has been edited by UWerOwNED on Aug 10 2004, 03:55 AM

huskerfan711

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »

aggghhhhh. i know u cannot tell me where, but i cant find xport. I went to xbins and they have like 4 versions of the stepmaniax.zip . I assume i just need the latest?  Did i just look in the wrong place on xbins for xport or is it not there?

huskerfan711

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

dont know if this is a violation of the tos but, is the file i need stepmaniax_src.zip and stepmaniaX_v5? i hope so. The stepmaniax_src.zip was under the xport_src folder.

UWerOwNED

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »

ok I reinstalled stepmaniax V5 on my xbox but it still just says Event Mode or 1st Stage after I select the song and then just goes back to the dash, do I need to get any files from the PC version like on duke nukem?

tvStatic

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »

No, you shouldn't need to. All the files you need should be in the zip you have... Only thing I can think of is that you got a dud distro or that it doesn't like your bios or some such, but that's a pretty thin explanation.

Oh, you could check your options to see whether its trying to load something that isn't there, but again, the default options that come with it should be valid... I'm pretty sure it doesn't create a save game in your TDATA etc. directories.

Just some ideas. Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck.

huskerfan: you just need v5. src is the source code and you don't need that.

ja5983

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 07:54:00 PM »

no you dont understand....you are missing files in the song..such as the MP3 or the steps. Either the file name was too long and it didnt FTP or you just dont have it. try to one at a time add songs to your game until it stops working, the song that stops it is obviously the broken song

UWerOwNED

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »

i do remember some file names were too long but i don't remember if they were songs or announcers, themes, etc. which i deleted but i did rename whatever was too long so it would fit so that could be the problem, i'll try the songs individually

EDIT: ok I tried all the songs individually and the only one that worked was the sample one that came with it, the others I had (just a couple) all came from the same site so I'm guessing that all of them from that site won't work so does anybody know a reliable site to get songs from?

This post has been edited by UWerOwNED on Aug 11 2004, 07:50 AM

tvStatic

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »

I got mine from DDRUK.

I just d/led the ones from the PS2 console version cos we don't have the equivalent game for Xbox in Australia yet and they're familiar songs.

Out of curiousity, what site did you d/l from and what, for example, was one of the dud songs?

ja5983

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

bemanistyle.com has real songs like eminem and such...if your file you get is less than like 1.5MB  then chances are it is not full...if a file does not complete...rename it and it SHOULD work..but make sure you give everything the same truncated name

alhava

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »

I'm having the exact same problems with my 8th mix from DDRUK.
What I am going to try is to delete all the songs that I've added (a few Bemani customs, and the 8th mix) and just run the sample song.

Is there a PC utility that will rename long filenames?
Just truncating them to 32 characters would do it, I think.