xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xlime!  (Read 681 times)

MorseKode

• Archived User
Xlime!
« on: December 14, 2003, 03:04:00 AM »

Hi everyone,

If you haven't given Xlime a go yet, log on to xbins and give it a go.  I've been working on it for the last few months (doing very little else) and I'm pretty chuffed with the quality of v1.0.

If you have any comments or feedback, please post it here and I'll try to incorporate it into v1.1.   :blink:

Cheers.

JapanFred

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 05:19:00 AM »

Hiya :)

I remember playing this at school with my mates, Thanks for porting it.

Yuu releasing the source code? I'd love it if you would, i'm a new XDK coder, so i love to look at other peoples source, hehe..

Just about to play it, i'll post my feedback.

Thanks again!

JapanFred

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 06:05:00 AM »

Well, it's gotta be said, it's a damn cool game.
Just like the PC version, only 3D and much better.

Here's a video of me playing it.
2.7mb

Thanks!

Dean.

Gmc

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »

Looks nice, I'll give that a try later :)

Pyroknight

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »

First of all, Great game! Lots of polish put into it. The physics seem to perform quite well. I also have some suggestions for furture releases.
It would be nice to have a redo option at the end of matches when the winner is declared, so you don't have to go through choosing gametypes and characters again.
Maybe a holding limit should be implemented where you could only hit the ball so many times before it had to go to the other side of the wall. It would be nice to have that in your version also.
This might add more gameplay depth: i noticed that the original had alot more at-the-wall blocking than yours does. Im not really sure how you could resolve this but I think it would definitely mix things up more.
For the team play you should make it so both players on a team cannot select the same skin... it causes mass confusion.
One more thing :) , custom soundtracks would be a nice addon.
Good job and keep up the good work.

This post has been edited by Pyroknight: Dec 14 2003, 07:03 PM

muerte

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »

nobody told me this was 3D!!! can't wait to try this over xlin :D

EDIT: TEAM PLAY TOO?!?!

This post has been edited by muerte: Dec 14 2003, 06:45 PM

Wishi

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »

Of course it's 3D, that's the way forward, don't ya know? ;)

Anyhow, just letting you know that Xlime v1.01 has been released. It fixes a bug in the 4 player mode. Thanks to xturmn8r for letting us know about this!

Pyroknight: People shouldn't be stupid enough to choose the same skin ;)

Anyhow, all feedback will be noted for Xlime v1.1 which will appear who knows when. We're busy on the latest XFD project atm!

brucett

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »

Coming from england! How about releasing the cricket and football (soccer to americans) in the future! I also used to play them alot at skool and think they would be a great addition.

JapanFred

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (brucett @ Dec 14 2003, 09:52 PM)
Coming from england! How about releasing the cricket and football (soccer to americans) in the future! I also used to play them alot at skool and think they would be a great addition.

I was speaking to him on IRC, and he's got another 'project' that hes working on, so he's not going to have time. :(
He also said it's not going to be open source for now.

MorseKode

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Mods: Quick and easy mods I might consider.  It's just huge features that I definitely don't want to add at this point.  And like anyone who calls themselves a programmer, I've got at least three projects on the go at any one time.   :unsure:

Restart match option: Good idea, I'll try to put it in.

Holding limit: It's something I've thought about, but you might notice the AI Xlimes sometimes get into loops where they repeatedly hit the ball, so this would mean AI tweaking too.  I haven't given up on the idea though.

Custom soundtracks: Again, a good idea.  Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Source: I might release the source code at some point, but not right now.  This game is going on my CV and I need some proof that I made it!

Finally, I want to point out that this isn't a port.  It's completely re-done from scratch.  I strove as hard as I could to capture the feel of the original Slime, albeit in 3D.

Thanks to everyone who's tried it.  If you haven't yet... what are you waiting for?   :D

ShadowOryan

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »

xbins invite only when on mirc??? what, this wasnt like this  before, now what do i have to do?

EDIT: Got in, Cha-Ching

This post has been edited by ShadowOryan: Dec 14 2003, 10:01 PM

SniperKilla

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »

dosent work on my xbox when 480p and 1080i is enabled in the dashboard for the HDTV pack, when i turn them off it works fine, if their on it locks at avalaunch launch screen :(

please try to fix

jippie

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 10:08:00 AM »

Hey not fare..

and is the first homebrew game to support system link play!

Connect4 is, ok it's not a great game but still :)

Xlime looks great BTW..

jippie

Wishi

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 10:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (jippie @ Dec 15 2003, 09:02 PM)
Hey not fare..

and is the first homebrew game to support system link play!

Connect4 is, ok it's not a great game but still :)

This is the first game to use proper system link, there are no IPs required to play. Otherwise there's been loads of "system link" other games :)

UberJim

• Archived User
Xlime!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

I beat the game, what do I get?

Great game, but I do have a few suggestions.  Could you make the net on the ping pong table look like a ping pong net?  As in a see through net.  That would look great in the replays.  Also, there is an old DOS game from 1987 called Arcade Volleyball, the download weighs in at about 25k.  That game is very similar to this one, and it would be great if you could pick an Arcade Volleyball mode or something.  Possibly have it unlock after beating the game.

This post has been edited by UberJim: Dec 15 2003, 06:37 PM