xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hand-held Emulation  (Read 88 times)

666weasel

• Archived User
Hand-held Emulation
« on: February 04, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »

Not an xbox question really, but which out of the Sony PSP and the Nintendo DS do you think would be worth getting based on future emulation projects (IE snes, genesis, nes etc...)?

I think the PSP might be worth getting anyway, but I would prefer to get a decent platform for future hand-held emulators....

Any opinions?

ChrisW7

• Archived User
Hand-held Emulation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:38:00 AM »

The PSP, IMO, has huge potential via USB sticks. But, AFAIK, nobody has broken the PSP's encryption. The possibility of having multiple USB sticks holding various emulators and games, is just mind blowing.
It's a powerful little machine, much more so than the DS, and has a far superior screen thats just begging for emulation.

On the other hand, it looks as if coders are getting to grips with the DS, and the encryption isn't far off being totally cracked. Wi-Fi, holds a lot of potential for emulators, especially multiplayer emulation. I'm not sure about dual-screen being anything useful in regards to emulation, but could be for homebrew games.

You also have the ever maturing GP32, which has a major head start to both the others.
It has a nice screen, if you opt for the back-lit version, and a fairly good battery life.

Tapwave's Zodiac, looks powerful and full of potential. But way too expensive for a handheld, and probably will end up going the way of the N-Gage.

My money is on PSP. It's got Sony behind it, a fairly nice price point that will drop in later months. It's very powerful, and the screen is just gorgeous. The battery life is no deal whatsoever, and mine will easily give me 6 hours of ridge racer. The analog control stick works a treat, and neither it or any of the buttons, get in the way of the screen. Most of which are blown way out of proportion from Anti Sony, Pro Nintendo fanboys.

devlkore

• Archived User
Hand-held Emulation
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:00 AM »

Well, I love my GP32, Megadrive, Gameboy (colour), MAME 0.34 and Doom alone make it worth the price.

666weasel

• Archived User
Hand-held Emulation
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »

Thanks to Chrisw7 for the comprehensive answer, think I'll hold on to my money and get a PSP when the price drops a little and some emulators etc.. become available!

As for what devlkore said, I'd never even heard of the gp32 but I just looked around a little and it looks quite impressive...Whats the screen quality like? I might get one of those while I wait for the smart guys to crack the PSP..... :)

ChrisW7

• Archived User
Hand-held Emulation
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »

If you are looking for a GP32, then you can't go wrong with Craig's Gbax website

GBax

He sells them, pretty much Guaranteed, overclockable. Sometimes as high as 180mhz, with a shorter battery life.
I've dealt with Craig, and he's a top chap, and his prices aren't bad either.

It's also worth getting an extra Smartmedia card, and even the USB SMC Reader/Writer, which will allow you to mount the cards as a drive, in windows.
Craig, also chucks in a CD full of the latest GP32 emulators, saving you the downloading. Just remember to chuck him an email asking for the latest ones.  ;)