xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just An Idea About Dvd Drive  (Read 362 times)

CancerBoy

• Archived User
Just An Idea About Dvd Drive
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »

Guess he didn't hear you...
This guy has got to be one of the stupidist turds I have yet to see here.
Yea, Lets ground some random points, that might work...

Well I didn't think that most uniformed post was directed but at the gamecube post. I didn't ground random points on purpose I was using a multimeter to get some readings and accidently grounded a point or 2. I'm new to this stuff and mistakes happen.

Yea, lets just solder in an "or" gate....Where in the firmware should we solder it? biggrin.gif
That last one prolly went right over his head!

No it didn't go over my head. Firmware are the instructions embedded upon the device. I'm not an idiot but honestly I am just trying to learn, What is wrong with that? Please explain to me why the logic can not be manipulated by adding a IC? Flames don't really explain why things don't work.

Thanks

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(CancerBoy @ Dec 21 2005, 03:29 AM) View Post

Well I did't think  that most uniformed post was directed at me but if it was thats ok. I'll just keep my mouth shut and do my experiments on my own. I didn't ground random points on purpose I was using a multimeter to get some readings and accidently grounded a point or 2. I'm new to this stuff and mistakes happen.
No it didn't go over my head. Firmware are the instructions embedded upon the device. I'm not an idiot but honestly I am just trying to learn, What is wrong with that? Please explain to me why the logic can not be manipulated by adding a IC? Flames don't really explain why things don't work.

Thanks

I would think this would HAVE to go inside the firmware or the chip itself.  The DVD sends a response to a media type request.  You can't just flip that last bit from a 00 to a 01.  You would have to get at the logic that detects the media type OR somehow flip that bit ONLY when the media check request was sent.  Either way, I don't think there will be any way to use an OR gate outside of one of the ICs.

CancerBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »

I would think this would HAVE to go inside the firmware or the chip itself. The DVD sends a response to a media type request. You can't just flip that last bit from a 00 to a 01. You would have to get at the logic that detects the media type OR somehow flip that bit ONLY when the media check request was sent. Either way, I don't think there will be any way to use an OR gate outside of one of the ICs.

Thank you for explaining it to me. That makes sense smile.gif

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(CancerBoy @ Dec 21 2005, 03:44 AM) View Post

Thank you for explaining it to me. That makes sense smile.gif

The logic behind your idea is good.  If the firmware can be hacked, then I think this would be possible.  We would need to change the logic so that DVD+R / DVD-R are reported as an official Xbox DVD.  Another interesting idea is a DVD emulator.  Any device hooked up to the SATA connector could "behave" just like the DVD drive.  This could be VERY cool, but I'm not sure how feasible this is !  smile.gif

Tobb555

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »

speaking of DVD emulation the dev kits i belive can do that. This is a picture from the stolen dev kits that smartxx had. http://xbox360.1stgame.nl/33.html I dont know what the PIX does, but im assuming that DVD emu means dvd emulation

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(ssj4android @ Dec 21 2005, 06:24 PM) View Post

Is the communication between the dvd drive and the 360 encrypted? If not, couldn't you make something that intercepts the data, looks for the media type code, changes it, and passes the data to the 360? Or isn't there a simple "media type code"?

Same thing I brought up in a thread in the General Hacking forum.  Something like the PS2 chips.

1nick9

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »

well this may sound stupid but how was the ps2 modded. i had a modded ps2 a while ago and all the mod chip did when it was, every disk inlcuding backups i inserted in my ps2 was a playstation disc. somehow it tricked the ps2 into thinking that this backup burned media is a real ps2 disc. when i turn off the mod chip it only recognizes the real reatil discs. so how exactly did the ps2 mod chips work. by the way with a ps2 modchip it it no new dashboard or you cant do anything fancy like with a modded xbox all it does is keep the exact same OS and trick the ps2 into thinking every disk you put in the ps2 is a ps2 disc so you can launch backups.

it patches bios and patches the boot code to the dvd/cd DSP, reset point is used so mod nos console is on, sx is for ps1 games, z which is only on some mods is for tellin when drive is open or close (used for mulitgame discs), TR wire in ice mods is used for newer ice code with autoboot function, for telling wat type of media is on disc (ps2,ps1 or dvd).

not as simple as just addin boot code to the ps2s dvd/cd DSP. now saturn chips just simpley added boot code to the drives lines, much like the new pic gc mod out/comin out. now of couse not the same code tongue.gif

i believe that this is the way we will see 360 chips, atlest at 1st, something that just simply plugs into the sata on the dvd drive and taps power from teh power for the drive or alt points. mainly because m$ put so much effort into gettin alt bios bootin secure and could hav rather easly looked over this as no1 has done it for xbox, well atlest no 1 that has let public no

cheers beerchug.gif

Edit: reset is also used in older/lower function mods to select wat boot mode to boot on the mod, eg. ps2 mode so it patches the ps2 boot code to the dvd/cd DSP or ps1 mode so it sends ps1 boot code to dvd/cd DSP.

Edit 2: the security on ps2 isnt software based so just a bios replacement wont work.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

Here's an idea I just thought of. Suppose there is some sort of strict authentication between the CPU and the DVD drive. This could be a firmware check or challenge/response or whatever. Now, suppose there's an SATA "device" that sits BETWEEN the SATA controller and the DVD drive. Now, it could let ALL data pass back and forth, only looking for the media check request. When the response to the media request is sent back, it could flip the bit to a 1 so that it indicates that the disc is a retail disc. All other data would simply pass through this device unmodified. This would make sure that any authentication routines would not fail since the response would be from the DVD drive and unmodified. Does this sound feasible ? I'm not a hardware expert so feel free to shoot down the idea.

Explain to me how you plan to recognise the media check when you see it, and explain to me what makes you think that the whole block of data that includes the media check isn't subject to a checksum or something of that nature. If you have convincing answers, then a chip could work that way.  Even then, this would allow backups, but not homebrew code, which would make it a chip that I would never buy.

1nick9

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

yea it wont but it would b start. remember it would b still b a 1st gen mod.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(1nick9 @ Dec 24 2005, 06:11 AM) View Post

yea it wont but it would b start. remember it would b still b a 1st gen mod.

To my way of thinking, it would be just a device for piracy. There's no way to develop any further techniques from it, it's a dead-end.

BjTheClown

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaBiscuit @ Dec 24 2005, 09:24 PM) View Post

To my way of thinking, it would be just a device for piracy. There's no way to develop any further techniques from it, it's a dead-end.

eliminating the media check is a dead end?

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaBiscuit @ Dec 24 2005, 09:24 PM) View Post

Being able to make backups is at least useful for those who don't want to risk damaging an original disc ..... which we all KNOW has already happened on the 360.  I agree, however, that there wouldn't be much (if any) use beyond this.  Still, at this point in the game, anything possibility must be considered.
Pages: 1 [2]