xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just An Idea About Dvd Drive  (Read 361 times)

CancerBoy

• Archived User
Just An Idea About Dvd Drive
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »

Ok just an idea but with doing some reading here and xboxhacker I have come to understanding that the dvd drive does 2 checks on the system if either of them fail the disk will not run. Now my question is could it be possible to solder a OR gate in the drive somewhere where the checks happen so no matter what disk is put in it would trigger it? If it reads a zero say for a backup it would output a 1 and run anyway. I just have a basic understanding of logic gates so if someone could explain why this wouldn't work I'd appreciate

If no one can find any errors with my way of thinking I'm gonna try it later tonight, but please if you think it won't work just give me a good reason as to why and I probably won't attempt it.

This post has been edited by CancerBoy: Dec 19 2005, 11:16 PM

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(CancerBoy @ Dec 19 2005, 10:05 PM) View Post

Ok just an idea but with doing some reading here and xboxhacker I have come to understanding that the dvd drive does 2 checks on the system if either of them fail the disk will not run. Now my question is could it be possible to solder a OR gate in the drive somewhere where the checks happen so no matter what disk is put in it would trigger it? If it reads a zero say for a backup it would output a 1 and run anyway. I just have a basic understanding of logic gates so if someone could explain why this wouldn't work I'd appreciate

If no one can find any errors with my way of thinking I'm gonna try it later tonight, but please if you think it won't work just give me a good reason as to why and I probably won't attempt it.

That would be so funny if something that simple worked.  I would think that logic is embedded inside a chip and not easy to access.

zeroprobe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

nobody has really focused on getting around the xbox protection through the dvd drive firmware etc before. It would be great if MS overlooked this, which in theory is possible

This post has been edited by zeroprobe: Dec 20 2005, 04:47 AM

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »

well this may sound stupid but how was the ps2 modded. i had a modded ps2 a while ago and all the mod chip did when it was, every disk inlcuding backups i inserted in my ps2 was a playstation disc. somehow it tricked the ps2 into thinking that this backup burned media is a real ps2 disc. when i turn off the mod chip it only recognizes the real reatil discs. so how exactly did the ps2 mod chips work. by the way with a ps2 modchip it it no new dashboard or you cant do anything fancy like with a modded xbox all it does is keep the exact same OS and trick the ps2 into thinking every disk you put in the ps2 is a  ps2 disc so you can launch backups.

CancerBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »

That would be so funny if something that simple worked. I would think that logic is embedded inside a chip and not easy to access.

Simple things often get over looked. I'm in the process of tearing apart my 360 to do some tests at least I should be able to provide some information.

zeroprobe

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »

goo cancerboy

CancerBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

lol so far I have made it freeze up while grounding here and there. lol its kinda weird it haults everything but no error and it still lets you get back to the dash via the guide button. I also think I wrecked my kameo copy by switching it on its side and back it scratched a ring. Oh well it was free and I already beat it thanks MS and Pepsi. Anyways I think I have to do more research. I found the pinout for sata drives. I must admit I'm in over my head a bit, but its a good learning experience. So if anyone cares to help or any advice it would be appreciated.

does anyone know the pinouts on the 360 drive?

Tommorrow I'm gonna compare it with my lg 8163 drive see what some of the differences are they seem simular.

This post has been edited by CancerBoy: Dec 20 2005, 07:04 AM

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(zeroprobe @ Dec 20 2005, 04:17 AM) View Post

nobody has really focused on getting around the xbox protection through the dvd drive firmware etc before. It would be great if MS overlooked this, which in theory is possible

From what I've learned so far, I'm thinking that this may be the ONLY way to effectively mod the 360.  All of the other security in the 360 sounds extremely advanced.  If the CPU checks the code inside itself, this could be a very tough thing to circumvent.  Emulating the DVD drive or modifying it so it always sends the media code for a pressed disc might be the way to go.

Zipp425

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »

Hate to say it, but I dont think it will work. Ya you can make the DVD drive send code that its a retail disc, but all the other security in the 360 would probably shut down anything after that... Remember all that stuff about the Hypervisor... It just seems to simple to be practical (well, not really, I dont know how to change the firmware, but just the theory in general).

RocketMBA

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »

It's worth actually trying though. Maybe you'll get results that you didn't plan for.

Zipp425

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(RocketMBA @ Dec 20 2005, 12:21 PM) View Post

It's worth actually trying though. Maybe you'll get results that you didn't plan for.

Yes, very true, anything is worth trying... laugh.gif

-NEUTRINO-

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »

I think the security is probably quite easy... everything that the RIAA or MPAA have tried with stopping people from copying stuff has been circumvented....

The gamecube was the only one that was quite challenging for a while, due to it's reverse rotation of
the media...

As soon as I get my other 360 to experiment on, I will crack it open and start looking at it closer.

I think M$ spent all their R&D dollars just getting the 360 out the door in a timely manner. I can't see them using NSA or CIA encryption standards to stop playing backed up media..

I mean just look at the XBOX, out of the millions sold, how many actually were fitted with modchips??? How many do you really think will venture out to putting a modchip in their 360.. Most won't because most would be scared shitless in fugging something up.... or they don't want to ruin their LIVE accounts..

-NEUTRINO-

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

Errrr...gamecube had a reverse rotation. You MIGHT want to go back and check on that. More the problem with gamecube was the custom discs and the fact that not many people cared to try that hard.

EDIT: By the way, you win today's award for Misinformation. Congratulations for making people lose braincells by reading your post. I hope your future posts will contain more facts and less absurd statements.

This post has been edited by crosseye: Dec 21 2005, 12:50 AM

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(-NEUTRINO- @ Dec 20 2005, 01:05 PM) View Post

I think M$ spent all their R&D dollars just getting the 360 out the door in a timely manner. I can't see them using NSA or CIA encryption standards to stop playing backed up media..

Well...they did spend 2 solid years on the security of the 360.  How exactly are R&D dollars spent getting the product out the door?  Its R&D...which is completely seperate from production.  Hmm....CIA, NSA....I don't think even they use 2048-bit digital signature encryption.

CancerBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »

I think the security is probably quite easy... everything that the RIAA or MPAA have tried with stopping people from copying stuff has been circumvented....

Umm if it was really easy it would be done already.

As soon as I get my other 360 to experiment on, I will crack it open and start looking at it closer.

Why wait? take a chance thats the only way things get hacked.

Hate to say it, but I dont think it will work. Ya you can make the DVD drive send code that its a retail disc, but all the other security in the 360 would probably shut down anything after that... Remember all that stuff about the Hypervisor... It just seems to simple to be practical (well, not really, I dont know how to change the firmware, but just the theory in general).

I'm not talking about changing the firmware other ppl are trying that already. I'm just talking about changing the logic sent by the dvd drive with a IC. I doubt it will work but I'm trying anyways. I personally feel there is no way they can have hypervision check for the IC's but I'm not 100 % sure of that. I'm a novice at this and I'm just doing this to learn.

Pages: [1] 2